Pec Fly (machine)...160 lbs 3 sets of 10
Posterior Deltoid Fly (machine)...115lbs 3 sets of 10
Deltoid Raise (machine)...65 lbs sets of 10, 8, 6
Shoulder Shrugs with 45lbs dumbells...3 sets of 20
Curls with 30lbs dumbells...sets of 10 (for each arm), 8, 6
Bench Press...135lbs 3 sets of 10
Lat pulldown with narrow grip for forearm strenthening...130lbs 3 sets of 10

Essential Info

Hopefully I was descriptive enough, but this is an approximate typical workout of recent, give or take an excercise or 2 and 20lbs or so. All in all, I'm at the gym for 1-1/2 hours 4 or 5 nights a week. More ab work on my off days. Currently 155lbs, been lifting seriously the last 4 months solid, light lifting the past 3 off and on. I would like to add 10lbs before the end of the summer in lean muscle. So my question is this...Good or bad, is this gonna get me there? My diet somewhat sucks, although I'm doing the best I can to improve it, given my time constraints and resources. I use the machines mostly cause I don't have a partner/spotter 9 out of 10 times I go to the gym.

The Question

Break it down for me, rip it apart, tell me it sucks, good job, tell me what I need to add, what I need to cut out, alter, whatever. I would be very appreciative. - ValleyDJing

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I only spot one of the big three exercises. I feel you are missing out on a lot of potential leaving out the squat and deadlift. Compound exercises are your friend. I would also fit in pull-ups and hang clean. With the lifting aside, your diet is very important and it looks like you already know that.

Also, try to have separate workouts for at least legs and upperbody.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
All I see is machine, machine, machine, machine.......... Afraid of barbells?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd trash that routine and run a basic proven to work routine like the one from starting strength or the idiots guide to growth which would be a good read for you as well.

Gotta get your diet together too, you can't say your "lifting seriously" if your diet sucks. You also don't need to be in the gym 4-5 days a week, i'd keep lifting to 2 or 3 days a week.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the replies. Yeah I do a lot of machines cause I usually don't have a spotter and having a 145lbs barbell falling on my chest doesn't sound too fun. I've been trying to get my buddies to go in with me, but its a crapshoot.

As for my diet, I'm really trying. I've cut back on the sweets and fats and I've almost completely eliminated soda from my diet. The problem lies in not having the time or know how to cook I think. I usually end up having at least 1 fast food meal a day, sometimes 2 :eek:. Full time student, work partime, plus I do have a social life.

But anyways, I suppose I'll try and incorporate more dumbell work into my excercises and keep looking for a lifting partner. The smith machine could probably be good for squats no?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Acquaint yourself with some free weights!

You can do just about every exercise without a spotter. Set up your bench in the power rack and you're good to go, otherwise there's dumbbells. Other than that what else needs a spotter.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Also, on the bench press, you should "pyramid up" the weight instead of maintaining 135 lbs. for 3 sets.
Why?

ChicagoStyle

Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
Why? There's no need for this.

w3rd, especially if he's only benching 135. He should be keeping the weight uniform throughout all sets and trying to increase the load whenever possible imho....

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes I go up some on the bench, higher weight, lower reps. But yeah, basically I don't trust free weights all that much. I hurt my back a while ago doing squats, so I've been hesitant to do that s.hit recently.