Home Gym vs. Paying Gym

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
Yay. I follow FMS work out. I use chick dan skin bench and hex dumbbells, 50 lbs at the time. So I got like 5 to 20 cheap adjustable bells, 30, 40, and 50 lbs hex bells, and bench which is slowly braking because of weight limits. :up:

Then I have a community gym, which is open for residents. I dont go there since I have most of what I need at home.

Then there is like 3 gyms around my area, I dont go there because cant drive, and if I could drive I wouldnt want to park my car there.

I like home gym because you dont have to go to the regular gym. It has pressures of paying every month, then you have to be there every other day, thats a lot of commitment. With home gym there is no pressure, dumbbells are always there, and should you not want to work out they are looking at you with motivational guilt.

If I had to buy everything right now, Id go on eBay and search for dumbbells (and dumbells and dumb bells and bench).. I seen a nice set of bench, 3cept bar, and bunch of dumbbells for $300, with the stand, local pick up.. Since you are looking to spending $20 to $30 per each dumbbell, this would be a good investment...

Youd be sort of like fire fighter, lots of free time on hands and weights laying around. :up:

There is only one reason I would want to go to a gym, and that is cardio. I run, but sometimes it likes to rain, so tread mill is next best thing.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can meet people outside the gym. I can get lifting advice from people with "big triceps" outside the gym.

The reason why I choose to ask people in the gym because you really see their physique. You can have friends that look 'big' wearing regular clothes but as soon as it comes time to hit a pool they looks fat when the shirt comes off......I know what the persons real physique looks like in the gym mostly because everyone wears tank-tops,wife beaters or sleeveless shirts.

I'm not going to take advice from some guy because he's got a nice pair of tris.

Ask anyone who is a very nice physique naturally,they got it through asking questions and trial & error.

For all I know, it's taken him his whole life to get those, through horrible training.

Again asking questions can answer any questions instead of guessing or assuming.

Also, your muscles don't just BAM, start growing. Give them reason to, and they will grow.

Very true,but learning a new exercise can help to accelerate the growth of one muscle or another.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigshot said:
Skilla_Staz...i wish u were my personal trainer:D

lol I kind of act as a PT with my friends, but I'm not sure I'm quite qualified for that.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Blinkwatt - in every gym there's going to be a large percentage of individuals with god-given genetics, huge natural strength and/or the ability to stay lean eating even every burger in sight.

I encourage the asking of questions but always study the population sample used in your research.

I could ask Paul Dillet how to get bigger, or I could ask the genetically average white bodybuilder who's gained 50lbs over the last 2-3 years. Who do you think is going to give me an answer I can actually make use of?

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blinkwatt said:
Very true,but learning a new exercise can help to accelerate the growth of one muscle or another.

The diet and sleep are the only things that will accelerate the growth. That "new" exercise only helps to tear it down...

You want nice triceps?

Bench Press
Dips
Skullcrushers

The end.

Not trying to start a little feud, but I fail to want to pay to use a gym, when I can get the information for free. Your personal opinion is great. But mine differs greatly.

You want:
Girls - Keep them out of my gym. I can meet them damn near everywhere
Advice - Internet/Books
Dropping Weights - Cover your floor in a mat. I've got solid tile in my basement, I'm not worried.
Stripping Weights - Don't have to at home.
Meeting People - Get out and you'll meet people.

Also, let's say I spend about 1200 on a home gym. That will last me years. Let's just use 5 as a nice number.

Home Gym: 1200
Paying gym (40bucks/month): 40x12x5=2400

In fact, after three years, you have already racked up over 1400 dollars in gym fees.

Look around for quality stuff at low prices, I'll be you'll find some nice stuff.

danno1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I definitely agree with Skillz

I am thinking about when I get my summer job this year just to save money to enhance my home gym. None of my gyms nearby besides the overpriced Lifetime 20 miles away has a safety squat bar. If only I had a heated garage I would be more motivated to clean out it and make my home gym on one side while my car goes on the other.(I live in Minnesota, too hot a few months and way too cold for about 6 more) Oh well, I guess that waits until after college and when I get my own house.

SUMMARY: Home Gym>Gym

I can play my beats as loud as I want and don't have to wait.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amen. Buy some space heaters/fans for the garage...

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
Lets also mention that bumbbell exercises are much more effective than benching. You also are buying equipement not all at once, but one at a time. (bigger weights when needed)

Let me advice you all again to go to ebay and look at things. With local pickup you get a great deal on an assortment of things, if something inst available now, next week it might be, Ive been that route its proven.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
danno1 said:
SUMMARY: Home Gym>Gym
Are you kidding me? Unless you're rich and can afford a wealth of serious equipment, than I doubt a home gym will ever be better than a commercial gym.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A. Bumbells? Wtf.
B. You don't need to be rich to toss together a very effective gym. The most muscle mass can be gained with simple, compound, MACHINE FREE exercises.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i like going to the "health club" as you can socialize and have a huge selection of things to work out with to change up the routine a bit. a home gym would be nice if you have a dust free room and a nice selection of equipment

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
A. Bumbells? Wtf.
B. You don't need to be rich to toss together a very effective gym. The most muscle mass can be gained with simple, compound, MACHINE FREE exercises.
There's no doubt that you could put together a great gym. But I've been working out in my basement for 5 years with just a bench, power rack, dumbells, and a barbell. It's gotten me to where I am today which is great. But I enjoy having the variety that the gym offers, should I want to do leg press, cable rows, or sign up for a pilates class. A home gym CAN be very effective, but it will never be as effective as a commercial gym (Assuming ofcourse you can find a gym that isn't very busy. Which I have. Which is probably why I'm biased towards the commercial gym :whistle: )

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
djSlvt said:
Just about every trainer out there. Dumbbells have to be balanced and involve more muscles during the exercise.
ah yes, the legendary 'stabiliser' muscles. :rolleyes:

and they are fairly mythical, 'cause I ain't ever seen one..

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dont rag on djSlvt, he was smart enough to cover his bases by saying 'bumbell', a non-existant mix of barbell and dumbbell. That way he can adjust his answer after getting a clue.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think an empty commercial gym would be ideal. Ive went both ways, the best workouts come from a furnished, but empty gym.

I find powerlifting to be tiring, in a peaceful way. I like to sit quietly and reflect on life in this fatigued state between sets, rather than blab about the latest pop-culture nonsense.

R5D2

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't realise how heated this discussion would get.

I actually joined a gym as:

a) Its near my work
b) They did me a deal for 6 months membership
c) I wanted to do a lot of swimming, so worked out cheaper
d) More sociable

I understand the arguments for both, and I would love to build a decent home gym, though I'll have to wait for my own place first.