Help with workout

Bond007

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just started working out and I'm using the book "Scrawny to Brawny" as my guide. It seems like a good program and it has good information for skinny guys who are trying to bulk up. Only thing is that a few of the excercises require machines that I dont have access to. At my house I have a bench, some 20lb dumbbells, and a "tower" (you know the thing you use to do chin-ups, dips etc.) I would get a gym membership but I'm probably only going to be at home for a few more months before I go away to school so unless I can find a cheap membership for a couple months I'd rather just use my equipment at home.

Anyway the excercises that I'm unable to do are:
Cable Pull Throughs (hamstrings, glutes, erectors)
Cable Rows (upper back, biceps)
Reverse Hypers (glutes, hamstrings, spinal erectors)

So if anyone knows any excercises that I can substitute for each one of those using the equipment I have it would be greatly appreciated.

And in case you're wondering what workout I'm doing it's 3 days a week and looks like this:

Day 1
Barbell front squat 5 X 5
Incline bench press 5 X 5
Bulgarian split squat 2 X 8
One arm row 2 X 8

Day 2
Chinup 5 X 5
Hang clean and press 5 X 5
Cable pull throughs 2 X 8
Weighted situps 2 X 8

Day 3
Elevated trap bar deadlift 5 X 5
Dips 5 X 5
Cable rows 2 X 8
Reverse Hypers 2 X 8

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You shouldn't be using cable anything.

pull throughs ?? why, that exercise is retarded ?? substitute that with back extensions, a kettlebell swing or anything similar to a kettlebell swing

Cable Rows
why ?? do a standing barbell row, one arm dumbbell rows and reverse reverse flys (free weight)

Reverse Hypers
??? not necessary to do these

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
D&B,

please explain why a f-cking back extension is superior to a pullthrough or reverse hyper.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
D&B,

please explain why a f-cking back extension is superior to a pullthrough or reverse hyper.

(your trying to reason with D&B, i don't think its possible, at least when it comes to lifting)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bond007 said:
I just started working out and I'm using the book "Scrawny to Brawny" as my guide. It seems like a good program and it has good information for skinny guys who are trying to bulk up. Only thing is that a few of the excercises require machines that I dont have access to. At my house I have a bench, some 20lb dumbbells, and a "tower" (you know the thing you use to do chin-ups, dips etc.) I would get a gym membership but I'm probably only going to be at home for a few more months before I go away to school so unless I can find a cheap membership for a couple months I'd rather just use my equipment at home.

Anyway the excercises that I'm unable to do are:
Cable Pull Throughs (hamstrings, glutes, erectors)
Cable Rows (upper back, biceps)
Reverse Hypers (glutes, hamstrings, spinal erectors)

So if anyone knows any excercises that I can substitute for each one of those using the equipment I have it would be greatly appreciated.

And in case you're wondering what workout I'm doing it's 3 days a week and looks like this:

Day 1
Barbell front squat 5 X 5
Incline bench press 5 X 5
Bulgarian split squat 2 X 8
One arm row 2 X 8

Day 2
Chinup 5 X 5
Hang clean and press 5 X 5
Cable pull throughs 2 X 8
Weighted situps 2 X 8

Day 3
Elevated trap bar deadlift 5 X 5
Dips 5 X 5
Cable rows 2 X 8
Reverse Hypers 2 X 8

Ignore D&B he never has a clue.

See how the routine works for you, you may run into recovery problems. If that happens run it on a twice a week schedule (M-Thurs ) Also make sure your eating a lot.

Bond007

Don Juan
Reaction score
alright so I did Day 1 of the workout on Monday October 1st then I caught a bad cold and felt crappy for the past several days, not to mention I'm sore as f**k from those squats... I could barely walk lol
I guess the soreness is a good thing, plus I'm new to this so I'm sure as time goes on I'll get used to it. From now on should I go ahead and do the next workout 2 days later even if I'm still really sore from the previous workout? I was thinking of trying to do a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule if I can manage it.

Effort, what exactly do you mean by twice a week? Like compress everything into 2 days instead of 3?

I think the eating thing is the toughest part for me. I've been eating a lot but I think that my idea of eating "a lot" probably still isnt enough. I work Mon through Friday from 8 to 5 so my typical day usually looks like this:

6:30am breakfast, Bagel w/ peanut butter and protein shake

10:00am snack, protein bar

12:45pm lunch, 3 sandwiches (changes between tuna, chicken, or grilled burgers) with side of veggies & fruit

3pm snack, protein bar

6pm when I get home, another couple sandwiches or some pasta or rice with veggies and fruit

9pm protein shake

I'm thinking I might need to make some changes to my diet if I want to make any good progress :mad: I also ordered Anthony Ellis's program but my computer is being stupid and won't let me view the E-Book so I'm waiting for my hardcover copy to come in the mail.

As for info about me, I'm 5'9" 170lbs, I'm in decent shape from playing hockey but I'm still skinny though. I'll have to get an exact measurement for my body fat percentage but I'd guess I'm probably around 12-14%. I'm not in school this semester, just working full time right now so I dont really have any excuse as to why I can't dedicate myself towards getting big and in better shape in general. I eventually want to get up to 200lbs and just be huge but I realize thats probably going to take at least a year or two. Realistically speaking though, if it's October right now I'd like to try and gain like 15-20lbs in the next 3 months. I know it won't be ALL muscle and there will be some fat but I dont really care if I can't see my abs... I can always cut down later on, I just want to get BIG :D

Thanks for reading my long post, any input & advice is appreicated

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bond007 said:
alright so I did Day 1 of the workout on Monday October 1st then I caught a bad cold and felt crappy for the past several days, not to mention I'm sore as f**k from those squats... I could barely walk lol
I guess the soreness is a good thing, plus I'm new to this so I'm sure as time goes on I'll get used to it. From now on should I go ahead and do the next workout 2 days later even if I'm still really sore from the previous workout? I was thinking of trying to do a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule if I can manage it.

Effort, what exactly do you mean by twice a week? Like compress everything into 2 days instead of 3?

NO I MEAN TO RUN IT TWO TIMES A WEEK IF RECOVERY BECOMES A PROBLEM. SO THAT MEANS YOU'LL DO DAY1 ON MONDAY, DAY 2 ON THURSDAY, DAY 3 THE NEXT MONDAY, DAY 1 THE NEXT THURS, ETC

I think the eating thing is the toughest part for me.

YOUR NOT ALONE

I've been eating a lot but I think that my idea of eating "a lot" probably still isnt enough.

YEP

I work Mon through Friday from 8 to 5 so my typical day usually looks like this:

6:30am breakfast, Bagel w/ peanut butter and protein shake

10:00am snack, protein bar

12:45pm lunch, 3 sandwiches (changes between tuna, chicken, or grilled burgers) with side of veggies & fruit

3pm snack, protein bar

6pm when I get home, another couple sandwiches or some pasta or rice with veggies and fruit

9pm protein shake

THAT DIET ISN'T GOING TO MASS YOU UP, YOU HAVE TO REWRITE THAT DIET USING REDMEAT AND EGGS AS YOUR MAIN SOURCE OF PROTEIN, AND OATS/BROWN RICE/ FRUITS FOR CARBS

I'm thinking I might need to make some changes to my diet if I want to make any good progress :mad: I also ordered Anthony Ellis's program but my computer is being stupid and won't let me view the E-Book so I'm waiting for my hardcover copy to come in the mail.

NOT SURE WHY YOU ORDERED THAT, ITS DEF NOT A MAGIC PILL OF ANY SORTS

As for info about me, I'm 5'9" 170lbs, I'm in decent shape from playing hockey but I'm still skinny though.

PLAYING HOCKEY IS GOING TO HOLD YOU BACK WITH GAINING MASS

I'll have to get an exact measurement for my body fat percentage but I'd guess I'm probably around 12-14%. I'm not in school this semester, just working full time right now so I dont really have any excuse as to why I can't dedicate myself towards getting big and in better shape in general. I eventually want to get up to 200lbs and just be huge but I realize thats probably going to take at least a year or two. Realistically speaking though, if it's October right now I'd like to try and gain like 15-20lbs in the next 3 months. I know it won't be ALL muscle and there will be some fat but I dont really care if I can't see my abs... I can always cut down later on, I just want to get BIG :D

DIET DIET DIET, GET YOUR DIET TOGETHER TO SEE PROGRESS

Thanks for reading my long post, any input & advice is appreicated
CAPS