Help us with a new term

SynapsyS

Don Juan
Reaction score
Last night, me and a friend were talking about the extreme negative connotations associated with the phrase "pick up". In essense, it basically implies a one-way exchange, like you somehow won something. Also, it get's subconsciously related to "pick up line" as well, inferring all sorts of cheezy styles in your game.

We were then trying to come up with some phrase, that means exactly the same thing mechanically, but implies the 2-way exhange that happens with 2 people reach date-stage.

A few of the ideas floating around were phrases like "connecting", or "linking", ie; "So, did you link in with anyone last night?"

This may seem overly pedantic, but when I'm around people who are basically just AFC's, saying "pick up" and "hook in" means different things to them. And it doesn't reflect the effort I've put in over the last 18 months.

Thanks for any input you guys might have.

Syn.

SynapsyS

Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have nothing else to do but sit there and make accusations about people over the internet?

How small of you.

Spook

Don Juan
Reaction score
spaceman2001 said:
You have too much time on your hands bro.
Says the guy who's already posted three times on this thread....;)

spaceman2001

Banned
Reaction score
Oh wow. I've posted 3 times in a thread!!!! I GOTTA GET A LIFE.

NOW 4!!!

OHHH NOOO.

O RLY?

aftershock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Political Correctness comes to SS.com.

Right, lock this crap ASAP. For everyones sake.

SynapsyS

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's got nothing to do with political correctness. We were just thinking that "picking up" has way too many negative connotations, and that maybe we could come up with a new phrase that does justice to the game.

But fine, if no-one wants to be helpful, then lock it.

spaceman2001

Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather be out talking to woman than sitting here wasting time trying to think up new phrases for the dating game.

Lordy.

SynapsyS

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fine, you do that. I have a couple of hours free time to do some uni work in before my classes this afternoon, and I was taking a break for 10 minutes. Honestly, I remember this forum being a lot more friendly. Wtf happened?

aftershock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SynapsyS said:
It's got nothing to do with political correctness. We were just thinking that "picking up" has way too many negative connotations, and that maybe we could come up with a new phrase that does justice to the game.

But fine, if no-one wants to be helpful, then lock it.
Incorrect. The DEFINITION of political correctness is using alternative words to avoid negative connotations. This is exactly what you are doing here.

I can't believe I've posted in this thread twice...