Help the Inexperienced Guy out!

cubed

Don Juan
Reaction score
First post for a long time lurker! :D

Two part question: I'll keep this short. There is a girl that goes to my sunday school (not religious; extra credit) that I have my eye on. We sit beside each other and I make her laugh and generally have a good time. I plan on asking her for a date, this weekend if possible. To tell the truth, I think my odds of getting a 'yes' are very good. However....

My problem is that I do not know if she sees me just as a friend or as a potential boyfriend. Even if she does say yes, she may see this as a 'hanging out with friend' thing. While she does show certain signs of interest, she doesn't show others. Is it good if she speaks with her female friends (to which she has introduced me) more comfortably and often? As a counterpoint, she goes to an all girls school and is slightly shy. Also, she has my phone number but has never called (don't have hers, should've asked). Bonus point: she doesn't use me as an emotional tampon. I'll fill in other details if needed.

Before you guys go overboard: I don't necessarily want you guys to asess my situation; All I'm asking is how can I tell for myself. Of course, if you guys want to tell me, go ahead.

My second part of the question, where can I go for a date? I don't want to go to the movies, it seems to cliche. Have any good ideas that would work for a highschooler that doesn't drive?

Here's how it's going to roll:
cubed: Have you ever been to _______/I'm going to _______ on _______.
her: ___________________.
cubed: Why don't you come with me?
her: sure

cubed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Two days later and 60+ views later... nothing. To tell the truth, I was kind of surprised and mildly dissapointed. Any kind of help would have been useful. Whatever.

Well, I saw her today and as you could probably guess, I didn't ask her. Not because I was too scared, but because I didn't know where to take her for a date, so this time I'm asking one question only:

Where can I take her for a date?

As I've mentioned before, movie dates seem way to cliche to me, but hey, if it works, tell me. I've tried searching for 'date ideas' but didn't get anything helpful.

I know you guys can pull through this time.
Thanks.

ramblinman888

Reaction score
i prefer to avoid movies as a first date(not too much talking/gettin to know her). i would go for something more activity oriented that you can easily get a conversation going(mini-golf, bowling, pool hall, coffee shop, etc)

socialsecurity

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't spend so much money the first time, get coffee. Avoid expensive movies at all cost. The way to know if she's interested is to do an SOI, a statement of interest. If she gets weirded out by that, you'll know that it will be a $10 "friends" date. I avoid friend dates.

08aisaac

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like, I don't think she'd think of you as much of a friend if you had your toungue down her throat...
I have to say you have wonderful grammar skills. Few people on the internet can speak in a way that I know what they are saying.

DJ4Real

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The movies is too common and plain.

Try doing something more unique. Maybe go out for a walk and then go for a treat (ice cream, smoothie, popcorn etc.)...Whatever you do, make sure that you are having a good conversation with her....make her laugh alot.

KaminoSS

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, thier a park in town? Its cheap, fun and a great "mood" setter. whatever you do on the date, make your intentions known. Study the bible before you go out. Just don't land in the friend zone.

Good luck buddy! Tell us how it goes.

cubed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow! Replies! :cheer:

It seems that you guys think a casual date is great as a first, which I completely agree with. However, it raises another question. How can I say 'Do you want to go to the park/for coffee/etc. on Tuesday,etc ?'. It seems like something you would do on the spur of the moment, not something you would plan. I can't really take her somewhere right after class; she gets picked up by her parents, so unless I say 'next week, tell your parents to pick you up late so I can take you _________' (yeah, right), it won't work. So when/how should I set it up?

The way to know if she's interested is to do an SOI, a statement of interest.
SOI? I've never heard of these before. While I can guess what this is, would you mind elaborating?

I have to say you have wonderful grammar skills. Few people on the internet can speak in a way that I know what they are saying.
Really? While I would like to take all the credit, I would have to blame it on all the essays I've written the past couple of weeks. Ironically, my grades in English are... lacking. Don't get me started here.

It's funny, I am not anxious at all about asking! (did I mention this was my first time?) Wild!

Will keep you posted.

edit: what a long post.

cubed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't Leave Me Hanging!

Bring
Up
My
Post!!!

Don't leave me hanging!

Edit: Maybe I wasn't being clear. What I am trying to ask is how can I ask this girl out, to such a casual date, especially one on a seperate day? Read the previous posts for more details.

Last edited:

cubed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, tomorrow's the day... and I have no idea how I am going to ask. With some luck I'll be able to pull through.

We'll see how it goes.