Having No Spotter

42-Colrath

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am just now gonna start increasing my weight heavily so I go from doing 10-12 reps in my set to 6-8 and maybe even down to four when I hit the failure part. So, do I need a spotter if Im working to failure? B/c how am I gonna work to failure if im worried about failing and not being able to bring the bar back up on an incline or bench press?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
working to failure without a spotter is dangerous. even if you're not training to failure safety should be a major concern in everything you do so if you train alone, then choose your exercises carefully: dumbbells, smith machine, etc.

incidentally if you mean you're doing 10-12 then 6-8 then 4 to failure as worksets then I think you should rethink that. going to failure is fine but going to failure on a heavy weight (that you can only get four reps with) having first fatigued your muscles with lighter/higher rep sets is not advisable.

dirtyvibe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
smith machines won't work your stablizers and will screw up some of your joints. try using a power rack. dont hold me responsible if you hurt yourself thoughhh

Deadly_Assassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
going to failure is fine but going to failure on a heavy weight (that you can only get four reps with) having first fatigued your muscles with lighter/higher rep sets is not advisable.
Why do you say that alex?

Reaction score

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
42-Colrath said:
I am just now gonna start increasing my weight heavily so I go from doing 10-12 reps in my set to 6-8 and maybe even down to four when I hit the failure part. So, do I need a spotter if Im working to failure? B/c how am I gonna work to failure if im worried about failing and not being able to bring the bar back up on an incline or bench press?
You can do inclines in a power rack and let the bar roll down onto the rack after you fail. Standard bench press would have to be replaced by DB bench, but in my opinion DB bench is a better lift anyways.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As others have said, I recommend a power rack or just switch to DB bench. I find that without a spotter on BB Bench you can't really push yourself, the thought of decapitating myself is always in mind.

deadaim89

Don Juan
Reaction score
You need a spotter in order to make real gains at free weight lifting. Machine lifting is ok for single person workouts however, you are only moving in two dimesions which will reduce your results as well as diminsh the workouts real world usability

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
deadaim89 said:
You need a spotter in order to make real gains at free weight lifting.

I must live in a delusional world where all my spotterless gains are fake.

Reaction score
If you want to do HEAVY squatting, BB press then you gotta get a spotter who's strong enough to actually lift the weight off your chest. If you can't get a spotter do DB single leg squats and DB press you can still gain mass using less weights.
DO NOT LIFT MAX without spotter! Last summer when I started to workout I was dumb enough to see how much I could max lift without a spotter and did 150 once but couldn't lift it again and since noone was HOME I was stuck there for 20 min gettin crushed before I finally rolled out and let the BB crash onto the bench. I had a huge bruise and decided never to do BB without a spotter. Squatting BB is also dangerous if you don't have a power rack like me since you actually need lift then put all that weight onto your back, then after you manage to do a few you have to lift it off your back. So ya stick to DB bench and single leg squats if you can't afford a power rack like me!

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You still have to be careful even with the dumbbells. I've almost hurt myself a few times now, after a near miss on Friday I'm switching to the barbell and getting someone to spot me from now on.

TheLazy

Don Juan
Reaction score
unless you are VERY VERY experienced, no spotter is almost suicide if you are lifting heavy. (even very experienced lifters still have a good chance of injury too)

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
deadaim89 said:
You need a spotter in order to make real gains at free weight lifting. Machine lifting is ok for single person workouts however, you are only moving in two dimesions which will reduce your results as well as diminsh the workouts real world usability
Are you fu<ked or what?

PeterNorthisawesome said:
If you want to do HEAVY squatting, BB press then you gotta get a spotter who's strong enough to actually lift the weight off your chest. If you can't get a spotter do DB single leg squats and DB press you can still gain mass using less weights.
DO NOT LIFT MAX without spotter! Last summer when I started to workout I was dumb enough to see how much I could max lift without a spotter and did 150 once but couldn't lift it again and since noone was HOME I was stuck there for 20 min gettin crushed before I finally rolled out and let the BB crash onto the bench. I had a huge bruise and decided never to do BB without a spotter. Squatting BB is also dangerous if you don't have a power rack like me since you actually need lift then put all that weight onto your back, then after you manage to do a few you have to lift it off your back. So ya stick to DB bench and single leg squats if you can't afford a power rack like me!
LOL! Squats you need a power rack at least, but if you're still using fairly light weights you can clean the bar onto your traps.

Kerpal said:
You still have to be careful even with the dumbbells. I've almost hurt myself a few times now, after a near miss on Friday I'm switching to the barbell and getting someone to spot me from now on.
This sounds like more of an issue with your form and trying to lift more than you can handle.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't think there's anything wrong with my form, the problem is that I'm using the dumbbells to try to even out my right and left sides, and you can't increase the weight gradually on them, they only go up by 5 lbs, which is really a 10 lb increase with one in each hand, so when I'm lowering the weight at the end of a set and I'm really tired, I have to be really careful.

johnmich

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is a spotter a friend who helps you when your bench pressing / lifting?

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heavy weight + no spotter = High Risk of Never Lifting Again.

Your choice.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
johnmich said:
Is a spotter a friend who helps you when your bench pressing / lifting?

A spotter should be used in ANY exercise where you use heavy weight that is lifted over your body. This includes, but is not limited to...

Squats
Bench Presses
Shoulder Presses
Military Presses
Overhead tricep Extensions
Skullcrushers...

etc. You get the idea.

wunnaBsmooth

Don Juan
Reaction score
No spotter here!

I don't use a spotter! I don't have anyone available who is capable of spotting or willing to take the time. I also don't have the $/time to join a gym.
So I've been free weighting at home and purchasing plates when I need more weight.
I'm not pushing really heavy weight though and not lifting to failure (unless I do some other exercise like golfing 18 holes or playing basketball with my son). When I do have more of that kind of exercise, my lifting sessions seem to suffer.
I've made a lot of gains since I started lifting this way, so I don't see the problem with not having a spotter.
When I'm at a point where I'm getting into the weights that my ability to lift and handle is questionable, then I'll HAVE to find someone to spot, or join the gym. But in general lifting, I'm not worried about a spotter right now........
I'm lifting for ME! As long as I like what I see in the mirror, that's all that matters. Right?

TheLazy

Don Juan
Reaction score
yep wunnabsmooth as long as you are satisfied with your results, thats all that matters ;)