Have any of you tried raw meat for bulking/strength?

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
In high school, me and the other gym rats would hit up Big Y after practice and eat london broil right there at the register. Rip the cellophane off and knaw on all that red, bloody goodness.

Made everybody crazy :yes: :rockon:

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
most steaks are fine, because they're taken from meat far from the colon & stay cold from the time of the slaughter forward. that's how restaurants get away with serving them rare/medium-rare.

ground beef is much more problematic, b/c it gets mixed in with everything, sometimes including intestine.

but even with steaks & roasts, you're trusting the cleanliness of whatever slaughterhouse it came from, as well as trusting that the meat never warmed up above 40degF or so.

Bonez

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've got 40 lbs of dried whale meat, about 150 frozen char, and at least 500 lbs of raw caribou in my deep freezer. Whenever I feel hungry I call up some friends and we literally eat raw meat off the floor.

My friends grandma came down to visit last week, hearing her tootless laugh and watching her sucking on bone marrow at the age of 92 is pretty damned amazing.

P.S. I would never eat a hot dog, ground beef, and no way would I touch anything made from a pig. I know when something is bad, and ham/bacon and "meat products" are just something I don't want in my body.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going deer hunting with my Islander mates next weekend and you have to eat the heart of your first kill raw!

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
this is a considerably more complicated question than it sounds. there would be several concerns:

- if you pierce the colon and get that mixed up with the meat, you don't want to eat any of that uncooked. this is a primary reason that you shouldn't eat supermarket meat -- esp. ground meat -- raw. slaughterhouse practices haven't improved very much in the hundred years since Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"

- it is true that the bacteria that break down meat increases rapidly after a kill. but you'd have to literally eat it as soon as the blood stops flowing to take advantage of this, as depicted on your Discovery Channel show

- some meats have larger-than-bacteria parasites that are dangerous to humans & killed by cooking. i have no expertise in this to guide you.

- our brilliance with antibiotics and their abuse by the lifestock industry means that there are increasingly hardy bugs that our bodies are much more sensitive to than anything floating around even a hundred years ago. Several nasty strains of E Coli come to mind. Those bugs are now getting traded around between lifestock and wild animals. Good luck!
Throttle is very correct!

Slaughterhouse practices enable gut bacteria to get all over the meat. Whole host of organisms like E. coli, Salmonella and Listeria come to mind.

And what about the microbial toxins created by food spoilage organisms like gram + Staph Aureus? Althought that is more common with prepared food that has been left out at room temp for a few hours after get incululated with someone dirty fingers in the cream or mayo based sauce.

Steak Tartare: assume 80% level of the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii (you know the one that prevents expecting mothers away from cats and kitty litter).

Trichinella spiralis, cause of trichinosis is an intestinal nematode whose larvae may migrate from the digestive tract and encysts in muscles of the body. Infections occur worldwide, but are most prevalent in regions where pork or wild game is consumed raw or undercooked. The incidence of trichinosis has declined in the United States, but still pretty high. Presently, most cases in this country are caused by consumption of raw or undercooked wild game (Trichinella natvia). Eat some Bear meat in NY State lately? try some raw seal or walrus?

Taenia saginata (beef tapeworm) and Taenia solium (pork tapeworm) are parasitic worms (helminths). Taeniasis is the name of the intestinal infection caused by adult-stage tapeworms (beef or pork tapeworms). Cysticercosis is the name of the tissue (other than intestinal) infection caused by the larval-stage of the pork tapeworm only, Taenia solium.

Oh yeah, sushi sometimes infected with Aniskinasis nematode...

Freshwater fish from the great lakes assume, Very common infection know as Diphyllobothriasis due to D. latum or the freshwater fish tapeworm.

Strongylides sp. are large, re nematode present in raw fish.

Oh yeah, My first experience in research was in a Parasitology Lab. Google those organisms for some really cool pictures what they can do to the human body...pathology can be very cool.

I eat my food well done...

RD

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
In high school, me and the other gym rats would hit up Big Y after practice and eat london broil right there at the register. Rip the cellophane off and knaw on all that red, bloody goodness.

Made everybody crazy :yes: :rockon:
haha!

wait.. Are you being serious?

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you guys think it's less risky to eat the freshly killed raw heart/liver then it is to eat the flesh? I would imagine there is less chance of contamination.

I was watching a documentary on wolves a while ago and it said that the pack leader was the only one allowed to eat the liver, heart and kidneys because they are the most nutritious. He didn't even eat the flesh.

Also
Liver’s as-yet-unidentified anti-fatigue factor makes it a favorite with athletes and bodybuilders. The factor was described by Benjamin K. Ershoff, PhD, in a July 1951 article published in the Proceedings for the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine.

Ershoff divided laboratory rats into three groups. The first ate a basic diet, fortified with 11 vitamins. The second ate the same diet, along with an additional supply of vitamin B complex. The third ate the original diet, but instead of vitamin B complex received 10 percent of rations as powdered liver.

A 1975 article published in Prevention magazine described the experiment as follows: "After several weeks, the animals were placed one by one into a drum of cold water from which they could not climb out. They literally were forced to sink or swim. Rats in the first group swam for an average 13.3 minutes before giving up. The second group, which had the added fortifications of B vitamins, swam for an average of 13.4 minutes. Of the last group of rats, the ones receiving liver, three swam for 63, 83 and 87 minutes. The other nine rats in this group were still swimming vigorously at the end of two hours when the test was terminated. Something in the liver had prevented them from becoming exhausted. To this day scientists have not been able to pin a label on this anti-fatigue factor."
!!!!!

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/liver.html

Warboss Alex is always recommending liver tablets but they are expensive. I bought a yearling liver the other day and chopped it up fine, mixed it with mince and made stuffed capsicums(peppers). It was quite nice.

Last edited:

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread is pretty retarded.

Bro, just buy some fvcking whey. And you probably don't even know where to get "freshly killed" meat anyways unless you have your own damn farm.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my dad owns 50 cattle and I'm going hunting next weekend.
If I get one deer thats about $1000 worth of meat!

OK maybe I went a bit overboard but definitely a few hundred dollars.

Last edited: