Has anyone done Sales?

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been in sales 9-10 years, I put in the hard graft (late nights, 12-14 hour shifts, smashing the phones, emails, dinners, drinks, network building, numbers game etc) and last 4 years I started my own firm self-employed.

I now automate my outbound BD (business development), limit cold calls to never doing them and use my existing network (23,000 relevant connects on LinkedIn) and also trade/invest as a side hustle.

I'm an extrovert which helped to start, since covid/starting my business/WFH, I've felt that energy fade but still have enough in the tank to get sh1t done.

10% commission doesn't mean anything on it's own, you could be pulling 10% on a £1000 deal or on a £250,000 deal. My typical terms of business are 15-20% UK and 20-30% EU/U.S/CAN. For example last week I just placed a dude on €120,000 base at 20% earning me €24,000 (£20,000) and as it's outside of the UK I pay (and charge) 0% VAT (value added tax). On Monday a guy started as a contractor for me in Belgium earning me £1000 per month for the next 4 years. My biggest single deal working for a firm was £51,000 of which I took home only £12,750, you do that enough times and you realise you can do it for yourself and take it all.

Sales commission depends on what you're selling and the frequency. I prefer slightly bigger hitters that I can get a quick turnaround on. Less work and stress, bigger chunks of cash consistently. If you are good at sales and have the ability to pull clients, starting your own firm is a life changer/no brainer.

Rainrain

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m in sales/account management. Company operates through their 80/20 rule mantra which means to utilize our 80% of our effort into our top 20% bigger customers. Basically, we just have to go to these sites and massage the shoulders of our client’s buyers and tell them everything is going to be alright.

Last few years have been record breaking so we have not had any pressure in getting new clients. We have 17% of the market share and our commission is based on the %difference growth of last years to the current year. My job is basically making sure that our clients do not go to the competition and sign 8 agreements per year. Although like I said there was no pressure we just started to decline sales wise about 3 months ago so things my start to turn ugly.

Divorced w 3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been in sales 9-10 years, I put in the hard graft (late nights, 12-14 hour shifts, smashing the phones, emails, dinners, drinks, network building, numbers game etc) and last 4 years I started my own firm self-employed.

I now automate my outbound BD (business development), limit cold calls to never doing them and use my existing network (23,000 relevant connects on LinkedIn) and also trade/invest as a side hustle.

I'm an extrovert which helped to start, since covid/starting my business/WFH, I've felt that energy fade but still have enough in the tank to get sh1t done.

10% commission doesn't mean anything on it's own, you could be pulling 10% on a £1000 deal or on a £250,000 deal. My typical terms of business are 15-20% UK and 20-30% EU/U.S/CAN. For example last week I just placed a dude on €120,000 base at 20% earning me €24,000 (£20,000) and as it's outside of the UK I pay (and charge) 0% VAT (value added tax). On Monday a guy started as a contractor for me in Belgium earning me £1000 per month for the next 4 years. My biggest single deal working for a firm was £51,000 of which I took home only £12,750, you do that enough times and you realise you can do it for yourself and take it all.

Sales commission depends on what you're selling and the frequency. I prefer slightly bigger hitters that I can get a quick turnaround on. Less work and stress, bigger chunks of cash consistently. If you are good at sales and have the ability to pull clients, starting your own firm is a life changer/no brainer.
Sales and entrepreneurship has also made me a better father.

Divorced w 3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having no base salary or a job that relies on commission/bonus would not motivate me. I'd rather just start with something simple that isn't so high pressure
When my son was born, I had left a cushy organization and I was making $100 a week selling. It was insanely uncomfortable. I’m going to make $500,000 this year and I am doing national speaking for a major organization.

I mean this respectfully but if you don’t want to eat what you kill, if you aren’t willing to eventually break off on your own and pave your own way, this won’t be a fulfilling path for you.

The beauty of sales is reasonably unlimited upside and the best salespeople have ambitions to either run their own business or be a major senior player at their company and develop organizational policy.