Happiness is not a result

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"I have come to understand that life is is best to be lived and not conceptualized. I am happy because I am growing daily and i am honestly not knowing where my limit lies" - BRUCE LEE

There was always a man in the back of my head, telling me what to do. This man was the voice of security, if you have not killed him yet, i suggest you do so. You think this man doesn't live within your head? Then how many times have you thought that "I will be happy when i have __" or "I will be happy when i can do __" . They think that their happiness will come as a result of something else, what they fail to see is happiness is in fact a state you have a choice to be in. Happiness doesnt come when you do or have something, but what you do or have comes from your level of happiness.

So what exactly is happiness? Well, i have searched alot for this answer and have finally discovered what i believe to be happiness: The perfect blend of pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is what gives you the excitement of living in the moment. This might consist of playing computer games, having your girlfriend over, playing sport, etc. Satisfaction is what gives you something to look forward to. This might consist of going to the gym, investing in property, approaching that girl, etc. While pleasure is making you feel excited about life and giving you a reason to put a smile on your face, satisfaction is ensuring there will be a bigger smile on your face tomorrow.

Having said that, here are some golden rules:

1. Always be doing one or the other.

The amount of people who do things they don't enjoy or are doing something that isnt really satisfying their just to lazy to do the real satisfying jobs is amazing. Always be doing something that you REALLY enjoy or will greatly benefit your future.

2. Don't have to much pleasure.

When you have to much pleasure, things can go wrong, real fast. You will become out of shape, you will become socially retarded, and you will become stupid. You will have no future to look forward to which just makes you depressed.

3. Don't have to much satisfaction.

If you forget to have fun then you will find it difficult to be happy. If all you do is work then you will not be in a good mood because you dont relax. Eventually you wont be able to handle it and you wont be able to go on. All work and no play is not the formula to success.

4. Find the perfect blend.

When you wake up in the morning, spend a few minutes visualizing the day in front of you. Visualise yourself going through the day with everything going right, make sure you have enough satisfying things planned and ensure that every other time-gap is filled with pleasurable activities.

---

This seems obvious, perhaps it is, but the amount of people i see either doing to much work, not having fun, or doing neither astounds me. Have a look at your life and make sure its properly balanced, because balance is the key to happiness and growth.

Kaizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sammo
"I have come to understand that life is is best to be lived and not conceptualized. I am happy because I am growing daily and i am honestly not knowing where my limit lies" - BRUCE LEE

There was always a man in the back of my head, telling me what to do. This man was the voice of security, if you have not killed him yet, i suggest you do so. You think this man doesn't live within your head? Then how many times have you thought that "I will be happy when i have __" or "I will be happy when i can do __" . They think that their happiness will come as a result of something else, what they fail to see is happiness is in fact a state you have a choice to be in. Happiness doesnt come when you do or have something, but what you do or have comes from your level of happiness.

So what exactly is happiness? Well, i have searched alot for this answer and have finally discovered what i believe to be happiness: The perfect blend of pleasure and satisfaction.

Pleasure is what gives you the excitement of living in the moment. This might consist of playing computer games, having your girlfriend over, playing sport, etc. Satisfaction is what gives you something to look forward to. This might consist of going to the gym, investing in property, approaching that girl, etc. While pleasure is making you feel excited about life and giving you a reason to put a smile on your face, satisfaction is ensuring there will be a bigger smile on your face tomorrow.

Having said that, here are some golden rules:

1. Always be doing one or the other.

The amount of people who do things they don't enjoy or are doing something that isnt really satisfying their just to lazy to do the real satisfying jobs is amazing. Always be doing something that you REALLY enjoy or will greatly benefit your future.

2. Don't have to much pleasure.

When you have to much pleasure, things can go wrong, real fast. You will become out of shape, you will become socially retarded, and you will become stupid. You will have no future to look forward to which just makes you depressed.

3. Don't have to much satisfaction.

If you forget to have fun then you will find it difficult to be happy. If all you do is work then you will not be in a good mood because you dont relax. Eventually you wont be able to handle it and you wont be able to go on. All work and no play is not the formula to success.

4. Find the perfect blend.

When you wake up in the morning, spend a few minutes visualizing the day in front of you. Visualise yourself going through the day with everything going right, make sure you have enough satisfying things planned and ensure that every other time-gap is filled with pleasurable activities.

---

This seems obvious, perhaps it is, but the amount of people i see either doing to much work, not having fun, or doing neither astounds me. Have a look at your life and make sure its properly balanced, because balance is the key to happiness and growth.
These are great advices and there are many great points. But I'm going to challenge some of your points, if you dont mind.

First I'll address rule #2
I take pleasure working out, jogging, swimming laps. I take pleasure in meeting new people, networking, socializing, and puting a smile a a pretty girls face. I take pleasure in challenging my mind and solving complex problems... for example, solving relationship problems of others.

Now that I stated a rebutle for #2, I'll end my comment by discussing a quote by John Milton: “The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven”

Planning for a happy day and planning for a happy future is important. But sometimes the path that leads to one's happiness may be challenging and painful. And remember, reality is nothing but what our minds interpret it to be. If a person's mind is strong enough, he can just make the hellish path into a heavenly stroll.

Look at me as an equal and debate your point as you see fit :)

Virtú

Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn those ***** voices in my head; kill them all!
Don't ask a psychologist how to do it, though; they won't tell you.

You mention the voice of security, possibly of fear as well, but there is another dangerous voice as well.
It is called the "puer aeternus" or the "Eternal Child", a manifestation of the "pleasure principle". This aspect of you wants nothing more than to return to infancy or the womb and abdicate all responsibility for its own existence and actions, caring only for instant gratification of its biological urges.

Deriving satisfaction from a lot of the otherwise mundane aspects of life would be an invaluable advantage.
You might have to lower your standards, though; as a perfectionist, I find it impossible to satisfy myself.

Learn to love the fight as much as the victory - so that even if you lose, you still win.

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Happiness is not a result

Originally posted by Kaizen These are great advices and there are many great points. But I'm going to challenge some of your points, if you dont mind.

First I'll address rule #2
I take pleasure working out, jogging, swimming laps. I take pleasure in meeting new people, networking, socializing, and puting a smile a a pretty girls face. I take pleasure in challenging my mind and solving complex problems... for example, solving relationship problems of others.
It is possible to have both pleasure and satisfaction at once, if this is the case, then even better.

Now that I stated a rebutle for #2, I'll end my comment by discussing a quote by John Milton: “The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven”

Planning for a happy day and planning for a happy future is important. But sometimes the path that leads to one's happiness may be challenging and painful. And remember, reality is nothing but what our minds interpret it to be. If a person's mind is strong enough, he can just make the hellish path into a heavenly stroll.

Look at me as an equal and debate your point as you see fit :)
Yes planning for a happy day is important but it can be hard, but as you stated your mind can transform what you thought was bad in to something that is good. The mind is the most powerful computer in the world.

RedKnight04

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This was a very nice post, Thanks.