Handshakes

Reaction score
Brainstorm

I like the European hand-shake idea.

I've even imagined a script that would likely make any lady feel charmed:

EUROPEAN HANDSHAKE --> "It was a pleasure making your acquaintence, madam." in a fake accent, with a wink followed afterwards.

combine this with the Izzi's pause - may increase the odds she'll let you kiss her hand with eagerness.

iHatePants

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bah, the European handshake seems tottaly lame and AFCish to me. Like some dude who watched too much Casanova.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember: in most of Europe when you are introduced to a girl it is OK to give her a kiss on the cheek, and the same applies for all of South America.

izza

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The title of the book for anyone interested is:

Le pouvoir de l'illusion by Jacques H. Paget. It is not translated into English, but you can find it at www.amazon.fr

Also good is a book I read recently published by the DC policy school. They teach how to shake hands, what you can tell about a person by their handshake (don't do business, he is an aggressor etc.), how to counter manipulative handshakes (!), how to shake hands with little kids. It's a cool book, I rather enjoyed it.

It's called:
The power of handshaking : for peak performance worldwide
Brown, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1936-

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The reason Bill Clinton held Arafat's elbow or shoulder when he shook his hands as because Clinton didn't want Arafat to give him a kiss (which is kinda usual from where Arafat is from). By holding his elbow Arafat couldn't lean forward. I saw a documentary about Clinton where Clinton himself and some of his former advisors refered to that kiss as 'the kiss of death' (i think?). This was right after one of the peace-agreements he had negatioated (or tried to negotiate) between Israel and Palestina. They believed that if Arafat had given Clinton a kiss, it would alianate Israel and make Clinton a 'sell-out' in their eyes.

On topic, I usually do the Europaen handsake and keep it a sec or to longer than the usual one.

Ace_McGregor

Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard this about handshakes please give me your feedback...

When shaking guy's hand vertically in business, sometimes the other guy will try to turn your palm where it becomes face up. This is a sign of dominance by the other man. I heard that you were suppose to not let them turn your hand where it is face up so that you don't become "submissive" to the other person.

Not sure how this applies to shaking women's hands - but it seems like if you shook a girl's hand with your palm up you would be unconsciously showing signs of submission.

What do you think?

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Captain Popular said:
You knw what pisses me off about handshakes, is when you go to give a handshake and they grab so fast that you are only squeezing with half your hand so u give the weakest gay handhsake in the world......does that ever happen to yall?
lol! yes and pisses me off too! Other than that though, I don't read to much into handshakes.

izza

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ace_McGregor said:
I heard this about handshakes please give me your feedback...

When shaking guy's hand vertically in business, sometimes the other guy will try to turn your palm where it becomes face up. This is a sign of dominance by the other man. I heard that you were suppose to not let them turn your hand where it is face up so that you don't become "submissive" to the other person.

Not sure how this applies to shaking women's hands - but it seems like if you shook a girl's hand with your palm up you would be unconsciously showing signs of submission.

What do you think?
Centurion, what is the European handshake?

Ace - yeah, they actually talked about that move in the second book I mentioned. It shows that this person will probably try to dominate you (there was an African dictator who always shook this way).

The "counter" named in the book is very subtle. It says that when a person attempts this, you should not try to straighten it (that leads to arm wrestling). Instead, it says you should move the right foot then the left foot to the right, so that he will straighten out his hand. When you are pulling this maneuver, the most important thing is to say something distracting so that only subconscious attention is on the manoeuvre you are pulling. For business you say, "I have some products I think will really interest you." For pleasure you say, "I didn't expect to see you here" and so on.

It says to make sure it's worth "evening out" the handshake. Either a person will respect you for doing so, or they will resent you. Ultimately, it's up to you to make the choice.

I was astonished to see a section on "counter-handshakes." I had no idea pumping somebody's clammy hand was such an art. Handshakes are a little thing, but the better I get, the more people warm up (I'm not a particularly easy-going, funny-pants so I need every advantage I can get). Now I see every handshake as an opportunity to connect, to open a new door.

In closing, I should tell you a story that happened to me last week. I had applied for a job at my local library, and I was visiting there with a friend who knew the director of hiring. Who do you think walked past but the director of hiring. My friend called me over, and said some stupid praises to which the guy was indifferent. When he had finally finished, I asked what the man's name was and I reached over to shake his hand. Then something very odd happened. If you're a skeptic, I guess you're not going to believe me. But as our hands clasped, suddenly my entire body seemed to be shining with a brilliant light - not a light that one could perceive with their eyes, but it was blinding nonetheless. I felt childish, and completely innocent. This light didn't come from him, it came from me as if his grabbing my hand had been a power switch. I thought I was hallucinating. At the time, it seemed to me that he had certainly seen this light as well. But I told myself afterwards that it was all in my head, and that to think he might have seen this light too was absurd. It was not visual light. Still, this certainty persisted.

I thought this was a curious incident, but I acted as though nothing had happened (since I would be a fruitcake to claim that something had). Then not three days later, I read that Washington Policy Handshaking book. Someone in the book told a story almost identical to mine about shaking hands with someone and suddenly being covered in a warm and blinding light. In that story, the person had been terrified to ask at the moment, but he had asked the other person later, "I've always wanted to ask you this: when we first met did you see the light that shone from me when we shook hands?" The person, astonished, replied, "yes, I did!" Maybe the same thing happened in my case...