Habit Modification 101: Creating new positive DJ habits

Don Juan
Reaction score
Habit Modification 101

Introduction
So I'm not exactly the suavest of the SoSuave community, but I am definitely making more rapid progress than I thought I would. When I gave SS a shot 5 years ago, I thought it was all about technique. Not that I'm back, I am rapidly learning - it's about habit modification.

Choices evolve into habits
Research has shown that most of your life is habit based. Oftentimes, things in life began as choices and evolved into habit. Think about when you first started driving (If you haven't yet, maybe you should be on the High School forum). When you backed out of the driveway, you were nervous. You had to buckle up, adjust your mirrors, turn the key clockwise and let go at just the right time, place your foot on brake, shift until you hit "R", turn over your shoulder and start backing up. You had to coordinate your steering with the pressure on the pedals. Should you use the gas or brake? And oh yeah, you have to steer left to go right. Remember backing onto the road? You probably weren't in the best position.

Now you can probably do this in half the time, with your radio on and not breaking a sweat. Your mirrors are already adjusted. You probably don't have to look for the "R" anymore, you just feel it. You know that sweet spot to crank the wheel and end up in the right spot on the road. The reason is because it simply became a habit. Now you don't need nearly the effort. The neurons in your brain that were previously firing rapidly are now free for different activities (Like getting your mind around a great Pook post). Essentially, we are moving activities around in our brain. Backing that car out of the driveway started, very actively, on the most evolved outer edges of your brain. Now, it is much closer to the primal center of your brain - somewhere near walking or opening a doorknob.

How to create new positive habits
The cycle of creating a new habit is actually pretty simple in theory. Like almost anything else in life, implementation can be another story. Let's use my newest Don Juan related habit, effective kino, as a habit.

Start with the end in mind
Okay, so I want to form a new habit. I want to apply kino like a pro. This goal can be broken down into many small habits. I tried to think of which one I would be most successful for me to start with. I have a great natural ability at humor. So my goal is to apply kino every time I make an HB laugh. Simply enough right? No, you need a reason. Well, in the grand scheme of things, I know that doing this will help me **** hot women. Motivation enough! I have to keep that in the back of my mind.

Step 1: The triggering stimulus
A stimulus is the event that triggers you to "act" on the habit. Feeling hungry would trigger you to get something to eat. The light turning red would trigger you to place your foot on the brake. While these things are natural and well ingrained, some things aren't. For me, a woman laughing was not enough of a natural trigger to Kino her. So i consciously thought of it, every time a woman laughs I make an effort to Kino.

Step 2: The action
So I just told her that her gloves make her look like a HoBo and it's kind of embarassing me! (You know, with the fingers cut out) She laughs! That's my triggering stimulus, I have to act. As she laughs, I reach over and grab her hand, stroking her fingers and make eye contact. "You know HB, you have beautiful fingers for a homeless girl though." Then I let go. That's a good effective kino moment for a starting DJ.

Step 3: The reward
With most of my habits, I have to create arbitrary rewards. For example, I put Reese's Pieces in my vitamin/supplement trays. When I take all my pills, I pop 2-3 Reese's Pieces. It's very effective. I've gotten to the point where I crave Reese's Pieces and can't wait for my next supplement time. For this example of Kino, I find that the positive reaction from the HB is rewarding enough. The problem is, it isn't consistent. What if she reacts with a big smile one time and returns Kino the other. They are both great, but not consistent enough to form a habit. So what do I do? I say to myself (Read: NOT out load), "Tonight I'm ****ing you."

When the going gets tough
This is all great advice when things are going well. You're at your favorite bar hitting on an HB you're confident you can close on. Imagine a smoker who quit. They used to smoke on lunch break, but they've replaced the habit with talking to coworkers in the break room. Now, they've been moved to a different department and don't know anybody. This is where it gets tough. Like when you meet that HB and your AFC one-itis gland starts eating your DJ gland. You think this girl is different, for some god awful reason, and you just wanna talk or text or [insert your favorite AFC move here].

In order to get through these times, you have to believe wholeheartedly that there is a larger purpose to the habit then just the reward. This is the difference between alcoholics who relapse when they experience a major negative life event versus the ones who don't. Typically, the one's who don't relapse believe in God. Now I'm not preaching or saying the good lord wants you to get *****....I'm saying they found a higher purpose.

You're going to have to find your higher purpose to each habit. For me, Kino on a regular basis is about having sex. But when I struggle with it, I need a much higher purpose. I think about the fact that effective Kino is going to give me options and that means I will never have to marry or be with an immature attention ***** again. It's increasing my odds of having a happier life and finding a partner that can be good to my children.

Sticking to it
In order to stick to your new habit, you need a clear goal and accountability. Follow these steps, but tell somebody about your new goal. For me, PMing and talking to fellow DJs is effective for me. They keep me on par. More on this later though, I've gotta run.

Thanks for reading this, I hope you liked it. If anybody's interested, I will make a post called "Habit Modification 201: Changing old negative habits".

I hope this helps people....because you guys have sure helped me. It's been the conversations on the forum that have helped me most...not reading techniques. It's important to see that there are real people here. And hey, if it didn't help anybody else, it helped me!

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Regarding habits: you need to become HER habit. This is done by alternating between:

A) Showing her the best time.
B) Becoming unavailable (for up to 30 days).

It's not playing games so much because if you really are the person she is looking for you'll be exciting to be with but often too busy to be with (think James Bond).

Note: around the 21 day mark of absence is a milestone. At this point, if she loves you, her feelings will increase. If she doesn't love you, her feelings will fade. The same will apply to your own feelings. Most people aren't patient enough to let this happen, especially after sex, but it's essential to really set the hook.

Wildebeest

Don Juan
Reaction score
nice post

we are the sum of our habits - Aristotle

if I allow myself to be negative, I will become a loser

if I set goals and be positive, I will become a winner

If I keep trying, and accept failure, I will succeed.

Habits define you, and they will define your reality.

Make a habit of talking to girls without being anxious, just for fun, you will become good with girls.

Make a habit of escalating with girls and building rapport, you will sleep with girls.

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post man, great post even. But think about the power of the touch with everything. Even asserting your power/dominance in a situation with another man. That's one way to look at it as a higher purpose which i use as well. Ever since I learned about kinoing I touch everyone i talk to and it certainly helps with HBs. Obviously don't touch a man the same way you're gonna touch an HB though or he'll get the wrong idea of you, just make sure it's a I'm in control, and dominant over you - kind of touch.

Kool4Katz

Don Juan
Reaction score
dutchmaster said:
Good post man, great post even. But think about the power of the touch with everything. Even asserting your power/dominance in a situation with another man. That's one way to look at it as a higher purpose which i use as well. Ever since I learned about kinoing I touch everyone i talk to and it certainly helps with HBs. Obviously don't touch a man the same way you're gonna touch an HB though or he'll get the wrong idea of you, just make sure it's a I'm in control, and dominant over you - kind of touch.
LOL do you want to piss guys off? I generally would not touch a dude unless he's a friend and I'm giving daps or a friendly shoulder nudge.

What do you do when a guy touches you?? Keep going back and forth until you're petting each other ?

dutchmaster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kool4Katz said:
LOL do you want to piss guys off? I generally would not touch a dude unless he's a friend and I'm giving daps or a friendly shoulder nudge.

What do you do when a guy touches you?? Keep going back and forth until you're petting each other ?
ease up, why the hostility?

No you just have to do it right, I can't explain it, it comes with experience and just knowing how to assert yourself over others. Look into body language and you will understand. For example if I'm ever walking towards someone and he refuses to move out of the way for me I'll side step and gently guide him with my hand past me. Do this right and he'll subconsciously submit and see that you're in control. Or during a conversation taps on the elbow. Perhaps if you see he's trying to dominate you verbally, tap him on the elbow to interrupt him and take control of the conversation.

Do it right, they won't touch you back because they'll see who has the power and is in control. If they're petting you back or whatever you said, then you're doing it wrong.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hey man great post.

if you want Someone to talk to. you can pm me anytime. been looking for someone to talk to for awhile.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Packers2010 said:
hey man great post.

if you want Someone to talk to. you can pm me anytime. been looking for someone to talk to for awhile.
Sounds great