GUIDE TO BULKING UP

AcesDJD

Reaction score
Interesting Reading....

I'm probably a good deal older than most of you guys (25) now that I'm happily engaged it was fun reminiscing about trying to figure out the best way to get the most women.

Currently I am 5'8 and 150 pounds, although I started college a ripped 130-135 and left at 175 (mostly muscle gain although my bodyfat was a bit higher for sure).

I wasted an awful lot of time in the gym that I could have spent doing a lot of more fun and long lasting things. Certainly it was better than spending all my time huffing stuff to get high all the time like some people did, but I'd probably be in a lot higher paying job today if I spent more time at the library and less in the gym.

So what did a roughly forty pound muscle gain do for my abilities with women? In all honesty, not a damn thing. For one thing I don't know about you larger frame guys talking about how us small framed guys don't need to gain that much muscle to look bigger. Maybe I'm just unusual, but for me I look lighter at 175 than an average guy does at my height at 160. I do tend to put weight on very proportionally (except for perpetually scrawy forearms) so perhaps I'm an unusual case, but I doubt it.

To give you an example of what I mean, I was having a conversation with a girl one day, and for whatever reason the topic of weight came up. She asked me how much I weighed and even though I was actually a few pounds heavier for the sake of simplicity I said 160. She said "116?!" damn you are skinny! Her reaction when I clarified that I was actually 160 not 116 seemed to indicate to me that she highly doubted that I weighed that much, and probably assumed I was lying out of embarrassment of my actual weight.

In relation to some subjects that have come up, my point about my own weight is twofold: 1. If you're small framed you may still look small even if you get to be a respectable weight for your height and 2. Don't expect what a lot of posters seem to claim that the world will suddenly turn for you even with a forty pound gain, they might just think you're less skinny now, and being short is always a negative whatever your muscularity.

As far as getting girls goes, I DO think looks are very important. I've dated enough girls, seen enough friends go out with girls to understand this is the case. A good looking guy without personality will at least initially far outrace an average looking guy with personality. Now, I'm not talking marriage here I'm talking getting a one night stand which is what many of you are probably after. Confidence will do wonders for the good looking guy who was once too shy to approach women, but for an ugly guy it will mostly lead to more rejections (although eventual success due to the law of probability).

And no, working out will do very little for an ugly guy as far as getting girls goes. My roomate was 6'2 and 220 and went to the gym 5 days a week and as far as I know never got laid once. He wasn't fat by any means either, the dude could bench over three hundred. He wasn't an ugly guy, he just had very little confidence with women and probably tried to befriend them too much instead of pursue them.

If you're so thin virtually anyone you meet comments on it, then yeah putting on some weight will probably help you in the girls department. But if you're just an average skinny guy, yeah it might put you over the top for a few girls, but overall it won't be huge difference unless (maybe) you start juicing and get an incredibly low bodyfat percentage along with a huge gain in mass. I don't think even this would do much for an ugly guy, but for an average looking guy who's 5'10 or better and goes from say like 130 to 180 and is even more ripped after the weight gain than before than maybe they will notice a significant difference, but from what I've seen its the exception not the rule.

I have to add one more thing which is women's weight. Most of you guys are absolutely clueless about what women really weigh based on your posts. Most girls I've dated have been pretty comfortable being honest about their weight so I have a pretty good idea. A mature young woman about 5'6 and 130 almost always looks very slim, enough to the point people comment on it all the time (and usually have almost no chest I might add). Less than that and she has zero curves. A girl about 5'6 150 generally looks the best (she'll have a flat stomach unless she only sits around all day, but with decent tits and nice thighs and calves). Even a girl 5'6 and 170 rarely looks like a tub of lard unless she has virtually no muscle mass. So if you weigh 130 and only want girls lighter than you, you better like either really short and petite girls or really scrawny ones.

Good luck to all,

David

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Interesting Reading....

Originally posted by AcesDJD
I'm probably a good deal older than most of you guys (25) now that I'm happily engaged it was fun reminiscing about trying to figure out the best way to get the most women.

Currently I am 5'8 and 150 pounds, although I started college a ripped 130-135 and left at 175 (mostly muscle gain although my bodyfat was a bit higher for sure).

I wasted an awful lot of time in the gym that I could have spent doing a lot of more fun and long lasting things. Certainly it was better than spending all my time huffing stuff to get high all the time like some people did, but I'd probably be in a lot higher paying job today if I spent more time at the library and less in the gym.

So what did a roughly forty pound muscle gain do for my abilities with women? In all honesty, not a damn thing. For one thing I don't know about you larger frame guys talking about how us small framed guys don't need to gain that much muscle to look bigger. Maybe I'm just unusual, but for me I look lighter at 175 than an average guy does at my height at 160. I do tend to put weight on very proportionally (except for perpetually scrawy forearms) so perhaps I'm an unusual case, but I doubt it.

To give you an example of what I mean, I was having a conversation with a girl one day, and for whatever reason the topic of weight came up. She asked me how much I weighed and even though I was actually a few pounds heavier for the sake of simplicity I said 160. She said "116?!" damn you are skinny! Her reaction when I clarified that I was actually 160 not 116 seemed to indicate to me that she highly doubted that I weighed that much, and probably assumed I was lying out of embarrassment of my actual weight.

In relation to some subjects that have come up, my point about my own weight is twofold: 1. If you're small framed you may still look small even if you get to be a respectable weight for your height and 2. Don't expect what a lot of posters seem to claim that the world will suddenly turn for you even with a forty pound gain, they might just think you're less skinny now, and being short is always a negative whatever your muscularity.

As far as getting girls goes, I DO think looks are very important. I've dated enough girls, seen enough friends go out with girls to understand this is the case. A good looking guy without personality will at least initially far outrace an average looking guy with personality. Now, I'm not talking marriage here I'm talking getting a one night stand which is what many of you are probably after. Confidence will do wonders for the good looking guy who was once too shy to approach women, but for an ugly guy it will mostly lead to more rejections (although eventual success due to the law of probability).

And no, working out will do very little for an ugly guy as far as getting girls goes. My roomate was 6'2 and 220 and went to the gym 5 days a week and as far as I know never got laid once. He wasn't fat by any means either, the dude could bench over three hundred. He wasn't an ugly guy, he just had very little confidence with women and probably tried to befriend them too much instead of pursue them.

If you're so thin virtually anyone you meet comments on it, then yeah putting on some weight will probably help you in the girls department. But if you're just an average skinny guy, yeah it might put you over the top for a few girls, but overall it won't be huge difference unless (maybe) you start juicing and get an incredibly low bodyfat percentage along with a huge gain in mass. I don't think even this would do much for an ugly guy, but for an average looking guy who's 5'10 or better and goes from say like 130 to 180 and is even more ripped after the weight gain than before than maybe they will notice a significant difference, but from what I've seen its the exception not the rule.

I have to add one more thing which is women's weight. Most of you guys are absolutely clueless about what women really weigh based on your posts. Most girls I've dated have been pretty comfortable being honest about their weight so I have a pretty good idea. A mature young woman about 5'6 and 130 almost always looks very slim, enough to the point people comment on it all the time (and usually have almost no chest I might add). Less than that and she has zero curves. A girl about 5'6 150 generally looks the best (she'll have a flat stomach unless she only sits around all day, but with decent tits and nice thighs and calves). Even a girl 5'6 and 170 rarely looks like a tub of lard unless she has virtually no muscle mass. So if you weigh 130 and only want girls lighter than you, you better like either really short and petite girls or really scrawny ones.

Good luck to all,

David
Wow, this is a very p*ssified post.

First off, working out didn't rob you of all the things you were going to accomplish. Working out 3-4 times a week for an hour isn't THAT time consuming. If anything, it helped keep your schedule in check, contrary to the masses who dwindle their time away.

Secondly, you weren't that big. 5'8 and 175 is good, but not "big" as you say. Let's not act like we spent all our time converting into a hulk.

And with women, that's just plain wrong. Take off your shirt when in your bed with a women, and I guarantee she will enjoy grabbing you and throwing herself over your well-defined pecs and chest. How do I know? Because every woman I've been with has done it.

Now obviously there are plenty of big guys who are still p*ssies with women, but that's due to a whole different issue in itself.

Working out, getting strong, seeing yourself improve every week, seeing yourself take control of your own body is a wonderful feeling, and the benefits are very fruitful.

Regardless of the pessimistic advice you're spewing out, males and females alike see you in a different way when you've accomplished this. And more importantly, YOU begin to see yourself in a different way.

Doesn't sound like a pointless endeavor to me.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Interesting Reading....

Originally posted by AcesDJD

I almost forgot this wonderful paragraph.

Man, let's clarify some stuff right now...5'6 and 130 is the maximum you want. My current girl is around 5'4 and about 115. Contary to what you say, she is not flat-chested, and has a great ass.

5'6 and 150 is OVERWEIGHT, period. Dated a girl around 5'6 at 140 once, and she was definately too heavy for me. Drop 15 lbs and you have an attractive girl.

5'6 and 170 is f*CKING ENORMOUS! Working the positions would be hellish. Just having to move her around would work up a sweat.

Mjfan12

Don Juan
Reaction score
I weighed in at 150ish on Dec 15 and 19% BF.

I was visably chubby. I was in great shape before but let my self go a bit.

so I decided to get back in shape and get bigger and stronger.

so I upped my calories to 3000 and sometimes 3500

and I didnt workout heavy for the first month of my bulk because I didnt have access to a gym (winter break)

so I just did some cardio and bodyweight excercises which were decent.

but now Im back in school for the past 2 weeks and the first week didnt workout 100% but I did this week and will from now on.

lift as heavy as I can (Im really weak right now. Lost all my previous strength)

But Im a little concerned. I just measured my body and the numbers have all increased slightly from the start, so Im gaining some size.

I also look much much better and my body feels tighter and less fat. There seems to be less flab to grab on to.

but I checked my bf and it now says 25%. I went up 6% according to an electronic caliper ( which arent super accurate)

So what should I do? I want to be ehavier, but not with fat. And Im concerned my muscles arent growing.

but that may be because I just started training weights for real this past week.

so how long into my 'real training and bulk should I expect to see real gains and not fat gains?

I am now 170 lbs

fireguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been 25% bf. Didn't think I was that fat untill I saw a picture of myself. I Lost about 45 pounds of fat. Cutting for nearly six months is no fun at all. Now as a rule, I generally stay between 10-15%. Using cardio on off-days to keep fatgains to a minimum and eating my last carb meal at six in the eavening.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mjfan, did you measure multiple times until the skinfold measurement is consistently accurate to within 1mm?

Anomalous

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So D, are you saying to work out: Chest, back, legs, bis, tris, delts, traps, and calves/abs/forarms all in one day. Then repeat every other day OR 2 of them a day?

I say this because just working on 2 of them it takes around a hour!

Anyone is also welcomed to answer.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whyshy - push, pull, legs split is fine

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
separate the groups into a push/pull/legs split....

you do push exercises on monday
pull exercises on wednesday
legs on friday... etc.

This split is also known as chest/tris, back/bis, legs.

Anomalous

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, but what would be the point of that. Wouldn't doing 2 group muscles each day be the same thing?

SMASH.Nitro

Reaction score
You can plan your workouts and your diets and all that. 95% of the time you will not stick to it.

Pull the trigger. Get a personal trainer. Here in Dallas for about $50 per hour three times a week for $600 every four weeks. They will work you till exhaustion. They will change your workout up so that your muscles are continuelly challanged. They will tell you what to eat. You will stick to your nutriotional goals because you spent the money on the trainer and you can do your own cardio and concentrate on the rest of your life, like making money and going on p*ssy hunts. After about 6 months trim down to twice a week with a trainer and do the third workout on your own. Later stick with once a week with a trainer from then until you die.

You have probably tried a workout program several times before and it has not worked. Try a trainer for 2 weeks to 1 month. You will find all kinds of reasons why its the best way to go.

42-Colrath

Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess I need to eat a lot more but won't I get fat or something? Ive always looked at overeating as a bad thing.

Last edited:

mixmasterbert

Don Juan
Reaction score
AcesDJD Is way off base. 5'8 isn't a small build its medium. If you put on 20 Lb. of muscle and carry yourself well people will notice. according to you a guy has to be over 5'10 to reap the positive effects that go along with weightlifting. ...its like this "Bro" you are not the body you build in the gym. I see hulk like mugs who still can't pull mad girls cause they ain't got the intangibles. and that whats its all about

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think everyone is forgetting an essential part to working out. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ENJOYING YOURSELF AND HAVING FUN.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WORKEROUTER said:
5'6 and 150 is OVERWEIGHT, period. Dated a girl around 5'6 at 140 once, and she was definately too heavy for me. Drop 15 lbs and you have an attractive girl.

5'6 and 170 is f*CKING ENORMOUS! Working the positions would be hellish. Just having to move her around would work up a sweat.
I know this is an old post, but...

My (ex)gf is 5'1 and about 150. She's far from enormous or even fat. She has the tiniest bit of a gut. She's 34DD and very curvy though. I'm not even sure where she hides the weight. I have one picture of her from spring break a few years ago where she looks skinny as sh1t and she claims she was like 140 then. She's dying to get back to that weight and has been doing cardio 3-4 days a week. If only she'd stop drinking :p

And trust me, I have very low respect for anyone overweight so i'm not giving her some benefit of the doubt or have my idea of "skinny" skewed by the average person nowadays being overweight.

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If only more girls would take Mr. Ruckus's advice..

On the road to making physical gains it is self-evident what a girl needs to stay in physical shape, and its easier with weights in there somewhere: Like squats, etc.

DJ DaNegro

Reaction score
i have a question...

so i'm about to begin my bulking workout routine in about a week, along with diet as well. my current job is somewhat physical in nature (i work in a warehouse) and i'm constantly lifting boxes and such which range from 10lbs to 25lbs. my plan is to lift on days when i don't work (mon, wed, fri) and i realize that rest if a vital part of bulking, so my question is will my gains be greatly reduced since i'm burning calories at work? should i eat more calories to compensate? any advice is appreciated...

Messarger

Don Juan
Reaction score
Use these ratios to set up your diet: EAT THIS AMOUNT OF CALORIES EVERY DAY WHETHER YOU LIFT OR NOT

Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

Notes:
Carb sources: Whole wheat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, green vegetables, dextrose

Protein: whey powder, eggs, lean meats, fish, skim milk, lowfat cottage cheese

Fat: you'll probably get enough from the meats/eggs you eat, but supplement 1 TABLESPOON of FLAX OIL

Note: Keep fat intake to a minimum during this time. Whey protein is the desired protein source too due to its fast absorption by the body.

example:
Immediately post workout.
2 scoops whey
1 serving creatine transport + additional dextrose

1 hour post workout
2 scoops whey
2 potatoes

2 hours post workout
MRP
1 potato

3 hours post workout
regular meal (meats, eggs, etc..)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've recently started to read this Guide to Bulking Up, but there are some parts of this guide that i've tried to comprehend, but still dont understand what Diesel is trying to say.

1) What does he mean by:

Use these ratios to set up your diet: EAT THIS AMOUNT OF CALORIES EVERY DAY WHETHER YOU LIFT OR NOT

Protein: 1.3-1.5g / # of body weight
Carbs: 2-3g/ # of body weight
Fat .33 - .5g / # of body weight

First of all, i dont have a clue how to measure calories. Can anyone help me with this?

Secondly, what does Diesel mean by "Protein: 1.3-1.5 / # of body weight"? If it helps, by body weight is 60kg. Do i take 1.5 x 60kg = 90 of protien everday until i start to gain weight or bulk up?

Lastly, what exactly is whey protien that Diesel is talking about? Is it a supplement or can it be found in foods like chicken and fish?

Thanks.