Guide: Conversing to Create Rapport

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The importance of holding a good conversation is highly underrated. Rapport, as we all know, is the very first thing we must achieve in picking up girls, making friends or just starting up a conversation. With rapport, things open up, both parties relax, and share their ideas with more trust, ultimately leading to a stronger relationship. In this post, I will give you the overall basics on how to hold a good conversation. Please keep note, this post is highly overcomplicated, once you become better at holding conversations they will seem second nature, so as for now, we will take a step back and see how it is done.

There are three main aspects to holding a good conversation Your posture, what you say, and the emotions you conjure.

The physical aspect of conversing is extremely important. We’ll start with your posture. Always have your body open towards the person you are talking to. With an open body, their subconscious is telling them “Hey, this person wants attention! React!”, and on the other hand, if you have a closed body, their subconscious is telling them “Ok. He wants to be alone”. What is an open body? An open body is head facing in the area of the person, torso facing the person, and legs and arms uncrossed (you can get away with crossed legs most of the time). Also, try and keep eye contact, but don’t stare. Finally, be relaxed. Maintain a relaxed posture and relaxed facial expressions, you don’t want to stress the person you are talking to out. Just keep in mind that your body language does most of the talking, and the words are there just to achieve your objective.

Next, whenever you are talking to someone, always have an objective. Is your purpose to get to know the person? Is your purpose to learn something from this person? Is your purpose to end up in the sack with this person? With an objective, you have a structure to work with and this will shape the content of what you say to this person. Keep in mind though, that objectives may change in the middle of a conversation. For example, I meet this girl, my first objective is to get to know her. Next, my objective will be to try and get her comfortable enough so I can ask her for her number. Remember, you never do more talking than 75% of the conversation, most of the time you are the catalyst for the conversation. By only talking 25% of the time, you remain mysterious to the other person, and by remaining mysterious, the person will want to get to know you more. And, the psychological aspect of human nature always wants to do the talking, so let them talk all they want! Finally, you must try to relate your objective to the persons life. What I mean, is to take what you want from the person, and have them talk about themselves while they are at it. In the example above, my objective was to get to know her, so of course I will ask her about her life, and have her talking about what she does. See, the focus is not on me.

Lastly, the emotional aspect of the conversation. This is what makes the conversation fun. If you ask dull questions, and talk about dull things, you will…have a dull conversation. Try and incorporate emotions in what you ask. The five senses are seeing, feeling, hearing, smelling and tasting. Emotions stem from these five senses, and if you can somehow sneak in sensory questions, you will evoke some sort of emotion. And from there, you can play off the emotion.

Coalesce these three aspects and you should get a good conversation. Remember, however much you put into the conversation, is how much you will get out of it. Now go and practice.

AlphaChump

Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent post, This belongs in the bible, if you ask me.

Right now, there are many hurdles for me to jump, and your post deals exactly with the one I'm on right now.

The main thing holding me back would relate to the first topic you mentioned. Even if I was really interested in holding a conversation, I would not have my body language in tune with that. As you said, positive body language prompts: "Hey, this person wants attention! React!”

I would have never thought about this on my own, I always thought you would want the person to react to you because they wanted to, not because your posture demanded it. But reading over your words, it makes a lot of sense. It's a personal phobia I have that I need to work on, but I'm glad I've figured it out now. I always thought the best way to act was aloof, like you didn't care, but I think you can express that nonchalant emotion while still looking engageable. (Any additional advice on this?)

Also, you're third point is great, but can you expand on it a little. I think I get what you're talking about, but a little more insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Grade-A post.

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always thought the best way to act was aloof, like you didn't care, but I think you can express that nonchalant emotion while still looking engageable. (Any additional advice on this?)
What you are trying to describe is the appearance of being "Cool". It is seeming aloof but at the same time engaged. Basically what I told you in the post will lead you to seem "cool". "Coolness" stems from being relaxed, o out and find guys who just look "cool", what you'll find is that they're just very relaxed.

Also, you're third point is great, but can you expand on it a little. I think I get what you're talking about, but a little more insight would be appreciated.
Well, I wrote this a couple years ago and as I read it over now I think what I meant to say was to add emotion to what you say. That's exactly what charisma is. Have you ever seen a great speaker give a speech? Or listened to one of your friends that might be a great story-teller? For a long time I never knew what it was that made these people SO interesting to just LISTEN to, and when it finally dawned on me I realized that it was because they filled their words with emotion.

By speaking animatedly you project feeling onto the person you talk to, therefore he/she will be there where you are emotionally.

I_Only_Live_Once

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thumbs up

fonderboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post.
Well, I wrote this a couple years ago and as I read it over now I think what I meant to say was to add emotion to what you say. That's exactly what charisma is. Have you ever seen a great speaker give a speech? Or listened to one of your friends that might be a great story-teller? For a long time I never knew what it was that made these people SO interesting to just LISTEN to, and when it finally dawned on me I realized that it was because they filled their words with emotion.
While your point is also true, what I interpreted your original post as was that you need to ask interesting questions that elicit emotions. Don't simply ask boring, factual questions -- ask fun, open-ended questions that deal with their feelings. Ask how they feel. If a girl tells you that she's sad, don't offer her logical solutions to her problems. Sympathize with her and get in tune with her emotions. People love feeling different emotions, and if you can provide them that feeling, they will want to be with you more.

Bourne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this alot lately. I have a body of mine who when he meets girls he asks them boring a$$ questions.

- What school do you go to?
- Where you from?
- Where do you live?

Beyond those questions he doesnt go indepth with any of them, its like a list he goes through, and most of the time girls respond by being very bored.

So you have to be different and unique then any other guy who has talked to her that day. Ask her such questions that will throw her off her regular talking to guys answer patterns.

AlphaChump

Don Juan
Reaction score
Another problem I have is opening. I know this comes with practice, but it's hard to start from scratch.

Shoot I have a hard enough time keeping a convo going, let alone starting one from nowhere.

"Hey, Do you like toast too? I agree its warm and crispy and an excellent place for jelly to lay" -- Mitch Hedburg

Thats what I normally feel like when I'm starting a convo.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, rapport is simple. To gain rapport you need to show that you have similar or shared experiences; commonalities, that's it. To open with a woman you've just met is easy as hell; just talk about what is going on around you right then an there, the two of you are sharing the experience, right?

I know this sounds overly simplistic but guess what, it is just that simple. The reason guys have so many problems approaching is because they over think it and scare themselves.

[RANT]
Think about, that's what you guys do. If you can't figure out the perfect way to approach that is guaranteed 100% successful, you think of every angle or excuse that either causes you not to approach or approach like a AFC.
[RANT=OFF]

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem with oversimplifying is that those who don't understand it take it for granted. Once you really know what's going on and understand it, then you can oversimplify.

You learn the game, then you unlearn what you learned. However, you are right, it is simple.

fonderboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this alot lately. I have a body of mine who when he meets girls he asks them boring a$$ questions.

- What school do you go to?
- Where you from?
- Where do you live?
Yeah, it's better to go in depth into just one of those. For example, ask how she feels about her school, or if she feels school is very stressful, then you can talk about fun hobbies to do to relieve stress, and then you can find what hobbies you have in common in order to have something to be shared.

Guys, rapport is simple. To gain rapport you need to show that you have similar or shared experiences; commonalities, that's it. To open with a woman you've just met is easy as hell; just talk about what is going on around you right then an there, the two of you are sharing the experience, right?
Yup, I find it's much easier for me (or any human being really) to open up to somebody when we two have something in common.

Brak86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
aBAzLLnA said:
The problem with oversimplifying is that those who don't understand it take it for granted. Once you really know what's going on and understand it, then you can oversimplify.

You learn the game, then you unlearn what you learned. However, you are right, it is simple.
very well said. I agree completely.

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think there are a couple other threads out there at this moment that are worth reading. All of them having to do with creating rapport. A couple that come to mind right now is the "Implied questioning" and the "Nouning" tips.