Good date discussion topics?

tomato

Don Juan
Reaction score
Some dates can last 5 hours and there are bound to be moments where the conversation lulls. I know you should be comfortable with this but ideally you want to have a set of some cool things to talk about when this happens. Any ideas?

Racecar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whenever I hit a lull in the conversation, I usually play a game with the girl. The Cube can take up to 20 minutes if you really delve deep into it, though I think it's a bit too serious to use early on.

I have this application on my iPhone called Table Topics ($0.99). It's a list of about 100 conversation starters or questions meant to find out about the other person. I swear by it and it's helped me over and over again. The girls love it.

Here are a few sample questions:
"Who's your all-time favorite late night talk show host?"
"What food is hardest to eat in moderation?"
"When was the last time you embarrassed yourself in public?"
"Do you have any superstitions?"
"What's the perfect age?"
"When was the last time you went skinny dipping?"

These questions (especially ones like the last one) can sexualize a conversation very quickly. Girls LOVE talking about themselves, so make sure you answer the questions too and keep a leading/dominant frame. You can even go on a tangent if you have a good story to tell.

If you don't have a smart phone, grab two pencils and two pieces of paper then have her take the "Compatibility Test." Girls love tests. Tell her she needs to get a 40% to pass. (She'll laugh at the ridiculously low threshold for compatibility. Make up a reason why the number is so low) Write out 10 questions beforehand and hide them on a sheet. Show the first question, and using the pencils and paper, you both answer secretly. On the count of three (this is very important as it creates tension), reveal your answers and talk about why you wrote what you did. Have fun. Erase and do the same for 10 questions. Qualify her based on her score.

PokerStar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good conversation should come naturally. and naturally you should asking questions about her.

The one question I always ask on a date "do you have any artwork on your bedroom walls?" and usually you can take it from there.

I think you might be putting a little pressure on yourself to come up with something to talk about.

If you are thinking about it to much, maybe an action date would be better for you. like bowling, 8 ball, go carts. so even if the conversation goes a little dull, you have some action to keep the date moving forward.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I usually stick to the topics of politics, religion, sex, when we're going to get married, how many kids she's going to have, the usual stuff.:p

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Teach her something. Read the news. Know what is going on in the media. (News wise, not celebrity wise.)

ARrocket

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Did you know that one donkey power is roughly 0.335 horsepower ?

Boom. Instant conversation you can take wherever you wish.

women haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
PrettyBoyAJ said:
Teach her something. Read the news. Know what is going on in the media. (News wise, not celebrity wise.)
LOL what are you trying to do? Date her or Bore her?

No offense man I agree with you, but honestly it depends upon the chick you are seeing...

Even the Intelligent one's get bored after a few rounds of the McGlauphlin Hour with Women Haze...

Gotta keep it positive and fun for me that is hard to do, but that is what they like..especially if you have something in common.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember a post by a SoSuave legend called Dr Beard who claimed he spent an entire date talking about his dead gran. :) I think he got rejected.

Generally, I like to start with quite trivial getting-to-know-her topics, asking questions about work, hobbies, favourite music and movies etc. Once the barriers start coming down, some of the best topics are thing like dreams, psychology and spirituality. Women love this sort of thing and it will separate you from most guys as they will think of you as a deep person. Listen to what she has to say and relate to it, and she will start feeling a deep bond with you.

It's not easy to transition into these "deeper" topics. You have to build some rapport first, but it's always made for a great date discussion.

I specifically remember the one date I had, we started talking about dreams and I decided to share one of my most beautiful and profound dreams with her. She looked at me with awe, hanging on every word, and at the end of it she told me it took her breath away. She then told me some of her greatest dreams. Not only was it a great topic, but it put us both in a really happy and magical state of mind.

mark123

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
I specifically remember the one date I had, we started talking about dreams and I decided to share one of my most beautiful and profound dreams with her. She looked at me with awe, hanging on every word, and at the end of it she told me it took her breath away.
Jariel, could you give examples? Doesn't matter if it sounds corny, as long as certain women don't perceive it that way.

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I talk about sensual topics, traveling adventures, and sex. Ask her what the craziest or naughtiest thing she has ever done.... etc. You have to listen for the most part anyway, just start probing with fun questions and she will reveal a bunch of things about herself.

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First album she ever bought with her own money (guaranteed chuckles).

Favourite cartoon she watched as a kid.

Where she had her first kiss.

I've used these as gap fillers with dates, work colleagues, and my male friends; the result is always the same, people love spilling their guts about this stuff! They're innocent enough questions but deeply personal all the same. I'm sure everyone can think through the implications of having her dig through some of her favourite childhood/teenage memories in your company.

For the record:

****tail: The Motion Picture Soundtrack. I cannot begin to explain this one, I think I bought it solely for Kokomo....yeah, that's still an inadequate explanation.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Totally had a crush on Zea, never mind the fact that a giant golden condor is aerodynamically impossible.

In an orange grove outside a freakin' roller disco baby! Textbook stuff.

tomato

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
I remember a post by a SoSuave legend called Dr Beard who claimed he spent an entire date talking about his dead gran. :) I think he got rejected.

Generally, I like to start with quite trivial getting-to-know-her topics, asking questions about work, hobbies, favourite music and movies etc. Once the barriers start coming down, some of the best topics are thing like dreams, psychology and spirituality. Women love this sort of thing and it will separate you from most guys as they will think of you as a deep person. Listen to what she has to say and relate to it, and she will start feeling a deep bond with you.

It's not easy to transition into these "deeper" topics. You have to build some rapport first, but it's always made for a great date discussion.

I specifically remember the one date I had, we started talking about dreams and I decided to share one of my most beautiful and profound dreams with her. She looked at me with awe, hanging on every word, and at the end of it she told me it took her breath away. She then told me some of her greatest dreams. Not only was it a great topic, but it put us both in a really happy and magical state of mind.
Thanks great ideas!
Yeh the dream idea sounds really good once you have some comfort, could you give details on the dream please? I cant think of any crazy ones that would be fun. Also what do you talk about in the dreams - do you do some kind of "cold reading" on them or do you have a system for interpreting them? How do you relate to them?

Also how about on a date with a gf/ex gf where you already have deep comfort, what kind of things do you talk about there - just the same stuff - how do you keep it different and interesting if you've talked about that stuff 100 times before?

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
women haze said:
LOL what are you trying to do? Date her or Bore her?

No offense man I agree with you, but honestly it depends upon the chick you are seeing...

Even the Intelligent one's get bored after a few rounds of the McGlauphlin Hour with Women Haze...

Gotta keep it positive and fun for me that is hard to do, but that is what they like..especially if you have something in common.
I'm African American so I could talk about

1. The Jordan incident. (Stampedes to get shoes. and how its crazy.)
2. Kobe Bryant (Getting a divorce from his wife)
3. How the whole Kardashian wedding was fake.
4. Talk about how they portray black history in a bad light (How the movies like the Help and The Blind Side portray pet n*ggas).

All this stuff is recent news and really intresting stuff to talk about. Next month it will be totally different stuff. Keep yourself educated brothers.

patrick.de

Don Juan
Reaction score
conversations became much easier and better flowing once i realized that not everything i say has to be super important/correct/interesting.
even when you say something trivial she has the chance to pick something out of it and tell you something interesting. girls love to talk anyway.

it's more important to speak loud and clearly and not mumble in some imaginary beard. when you mumble people get annoyed and even interesting things lose quality when delivered in a bad package. talking nonsense but loud and clearly will get you better reactions instantly. you did a good job when you never had to repeat something because she couldn't understand you.

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Patrick makes two really good points, I particularly like the one about the value of "trivial" conversation. The "tell me about yourself" line of questioning is total BS, that's not how people learn about each other. Rather than deliberately talking about ourselves and our boundaries and values, we talk about "stuff", and our individual character is made known through the way we talk about that stuff. I'll go so far as to say that the process probably works best when the "stuff" isn't too serious.

I remember sitting down on one date, making myself comfortable, and the female company (a tiny, albeit ball-breaking business women) has blurted out "So Wilko, tell me about yourself", I laughed and said "hey amateur, that's not how this works". I promise you it was justified, mostly;)