Good AB Workouts?

wildinthenorth

Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone suggest a good AB workout. I am currently bulking and doing the basic weight bench routines. Its working, but I dont want to have nice arms and chest, and theres the gut. But I need to watch the calorie burning. Suggestions?

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Decline Sit-Ups, 4 sets of up to 20

Raised Chair Leg Lifts, 4 sets of up to 20

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wildinthenorth said:
Anyone suggest a good AB workout. I am currently bulking and doing the basic weight bench routines. Its working, but I dont want to have nice arms and chest, and theres the gut. But I need to watch the calorie burning. Suggestions?
Holding weights overhead are your best choice.

Start with the Overhead Press

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
For definition do these, each exercise for 1 minute and then immediately followed by the next exercise:

Trunk Twists
Standard Crunches
Alternate Bicycle
Oblique Crunches :)30/Side)
Leg Raises

As you get good and able to do it straight for 5 minutes all exercises, you can add some weights, dumbbells and belts on your legs and arms. Don't over look trunk twists, they are important for warm up and obliques.

This workout alone combined with small meal diet produces definition other people can dream of. Such as you stand next to a guy who does machines for an hour, and you have more defnition. It's harder than machines as well.

Keeping up with this set means cardio heart rate pace, so you're burning fat too.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
djSlvt said:
For definition do these, each exercise for 1 minute and then immediately followed by the next exercise:

Trunk Twists
Standard Crunches
Alternate Bicycle
Oblique Crunches :)30/Side)
Leg Raises

As you get good and able to do it straight for 5 minutes all exercises, you can add some weights, dumbbells and belts on your legs and arms. Don't over look trunk twists, they are important for warm up and obliques.

This workout alone combined with small meal diet produces definition other people can dream of. Such as you stand next to a guy who does machines for an hour, and you have more defnition. It's harder than machines as well.

Keeping up with this set means cardio heart rate pace, so you're burning fat too.
Definition = diet.

What you want are big muscles. Strength = big muscles.

Using your exercises, you'll never get the abs I've got by doing heavy Front Squats & Overhead Press.

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps.... But I look hot, and it only takes 5 minutes. I can do this stuff for the rest of my life, without the worry of getting j-lo belley if I quit.

www.fitnessmadesimple.com
I'm doing like the lowest level possible that he teaches, for fat people. Results satisfy me. He has a special workout for abs, I don't know what it is. In success stories it shows results.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you don't want your testicles to ascend into your abdomen, I suggest not clicking on the above link.......... I'm still waiting for the left one to come back down.

To the OP:

So you don't want nice arms and chest? Was that a typo?

You can do all the crunches and ab masters you want, but unless you cut off the fat, you're not going to see your abs.

My favourite ab exercise is the weighted decline sit-up.

You're seriously worried about calorie burning? Do you really think that if you do ab work, you'll lose all your gains and turn into Christian Bale from 'the machinist'?

Are you actually bulking, or just trying to justify being fat? When do you plan on cutting?

wildinthenorth

Don Juan
Reaction score
No, I want the nice arms and chest, but I want my abs to look good too. I re-read my OP and it does read funny.

Spade_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
8 Minute Abs....It works pretty well and can be done anywhere any time. Go to youtube for a video.

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is one exercise that has done wonders to my abs. I call it 'The Lebron Crunch', I'm sure there is some official scientific name, but I like naming exercises in a unique way hehe. I first saw it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRTZY3Ay_vw
He does it in the 0:13 and the 3:07 mark.

wildinthenorth

Don Juan
Reaction score
Falcon said:
There is one exercise that has done wonders to my abs. I call it 'The Lebron Crunch', I'm sure there is some official scientific name, but I like naming exercises in a unique way hehe. I first saw it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRTZY3Ay_vw
looks good, but, how do you do it, and how long? Anyone?

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're sometimes called jacknife situps.
You do abs for 5 sets, until near failure, or 15-20.
Abs recover very quickly, punish them!

Zerix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Falcon said:
Bicycle crunch??

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Zerix said:
Bicycle crunch??
I guess that's the official name. It could be the jackknife one too. Whatever helps you remember them better.

wildinthenorth said:
looks good, but, how do you do it, and how long? Anyone?
I just do it until I feel a good burn since I just started recently, and the burn doesn't take long to come either. As for how to do it, I learned just by watching the video closely. I'm sure if you google it you can get better instructions.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
christ don't make it so complicated

weight on your chest. knees bent a bit. regular sit ups. hook your feet under a bench or something. you'll be able to go up 5-10 lbs a week for a long while.

ConantheLibertarian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hanging exercises are good for the abs. Knee ups, L seats. The overhead lifts are good, too. Because they sue your abs into a supporting role, which is what they are mostly designed for. It's possible to get a killer ab workout by never once lying down, on the ground or a bench.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ConantheLibertarian said:
Hanging exercises are good for the abs. Knee ups, L seats. The overhead lifts are good, too. Because they sue your abs into a supporting role, which is what they are mostly designed for. It's possible to get a killer ab workout by never once lying down, on the ground or a bench.
Good advice. Anything Overhead will give you big ab muscles.