From Bill Gates

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bill Gates is not the most popular man in the world. But one thing is for sure. No matter what you think about him, nobody can argue that he is the richest guy in the world and he is immensely successful. And almost everybody would gladly exchange places with him in a heartbeat. Wouldn't you?

In Bill Gates' Book for high school and college graduates, there is a list of 11 things they did not learn in school. In his book, Bill Gates talks about how feelgood, `politically-correct` teachings created a full generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this education set them up for failure in the real world.

The 11 things are:  

1. Life is not fair, get used to it.

2. The world won't care about your selfesteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.

3. You will not make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice president with a car phone, until you earn both.

4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping; they called it opportunity.

6. If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about our mistakes, learn from them.

7. Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try "delousing" the closet in your own room.

8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades; they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to anything in real life.

9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

10. Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

11. Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

GtarPlayr73

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep. Pure truth. Our mass media and popular culture plays on our wishes, not our needs and we grew up expecting a reality that didn't fit reality. Necessity is a word that is utterly foreign to the message and imagery put out by the entertainment industry.

John-467

Banned
Reaction score
Again common sense makes sense.

If this decision affects your monthly income, annual income, and also complete well-being, would not it make sense to research the topic and become sort of a more knowledgeable person on the area to confirm that the information given to you is accurate?

I'm 23 years old, and I have discovered along this journey of not only being a Self-Employed Individual but also a Young, Independent Leader...that most people that you THINK are smart and experts in an area, really don't know much more than you do!

You'll be surprised at how many "Financial Planners" know shyt about how to minimize your taxes and increase your cashflow using the Legal Laws of the United States.

You'll be surprised at how many "Fitness Experts" really know nothing more about getting you a great body than you do.

And don't let me get started on Business College Professors.

In today's world, you need to become sort of your own damn counselor in various areas of your life....and not depend so heavily on someone who is supposedly "an expert." That "expert" will leave you with loss money, overweight, and in damn near worse condition than when he found you.

-DJF

Sir Juanalot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
AlphaOmega said:
He's no longer the richest
Yep, but he could lose 20 billion dollars tomorrow, and still have enough to pay someone to wipe his ass for him from now till the end of time.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlphaOmega said:
He's no longer the richest
Why did you type that? I am curious to why you found it necessary to type something as useless as that. Please elaborate.

AlphaOmega

Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
No matter what you think about him, nobody can argue that he is the richest guy in the world and he is immensely successful.
Hehehe. You are an American, you should know that Bill Gates is a cultural icon. A symbol of American status, wealth, dominance, and innovation. Some say the richest should be an American in the tradition of Carnegie, Howard Hughes, JP Morgan, Rockefeller etc. Now, the richest is a Mexican telecom guy, something that a lot of people don't believe, and yet more never thought would occur. If you think this information is useless, perhaps it is to you, but certainly not everyone else. If that is the case, perhaps you should be less worried about picking up women, and more concerned about widening your world view in the context of historical events such as these.

AlphaOmega

Don Juan
Reaction score
bigappledj said:
That Mexican telecom guy is just some rich Lebanese man. I would say he is more Middle Eastern than Mexican.
http://www.lebaneselobby.org/lebanese/Carlos Slim.htm
You are confusing ethnicity for nationality. Mexico is a nation, not an ethnicity. Therefore, I can look like anything and be a Mexican. Do all Mexican's look the same? Same goes for Lebanese or Arab. Lebanese are not an ethnicity, there is a mixture of people there ranging from original inhabitants to arabs, french, etc. Thats why you have Lebanese who look like this guy, and others who look like northern Europeans. Btw, there are many Arabs in latin America, just like there are Jews who were born there and have no real connection to their ancestral homelands and are no different then there "latino" compatriots.

This guy was born in Mexico City, his name is Carlos, his fathers name is Julián, almost 70 years he's lived there.... so I would say he is a Mexican through and through.

coolkid800

Don Juan
Reaction score
AlphaOmega said:
You are confusing ethnicity for nationality. Mexico is a nation, not an ethnicity. Therefore, I can look like anything and be a Mexican. Do all Mexican's look the same? Same goes for Lebanese or Arab. Lebanese are not an ethnicity, there is a mixture of people there ranging from original inhabitants to arabs, french, etc. Thats why you have Lebanese who look like this guy, and others who look like northern Europeans. Btw, there are many Arabs in latin America, just like there are Jews who were born there and have no real connection to their ancestral homelands and are no different then there "latino" compatriots.

This guy was born in Mexico City, his name is Carlos, his fathers name is Julián, almost 70 years he's lived there.... so I would say he is a Mexican through and through.
QFT.

MVP

Don Juan
Reaction score
This wasn't actually from Bill Gates, it was an email hoax.

I think they were good insights but I don't agree with a couple.

#8, we live in a world where we have more than one chance. We are allowed to make mistakes and rise from them.

#10, it depends how much money you have. If you make lots of money, you don't need to have a job. Backbreaker, I know you're rich, so you could probably retire anytime you wanted and hang out at coffee shops.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
actually number 8 is spot on. life doesn't cuddle you like school does. do we get multiple chances? yes, but that's not what he is saying. he is saying that in real life, people really don't' give a ****. you will get left behind. the world will turn.

rich.. nah.. If I had to put it in words... upper class, there's nothing (execpt a house in maraco) that i want that I don't have (or am not about to get, my racing stable) but i"m not rich... there is a bottom to the pit I promise you and I don't nor can I spend money THAT frivolously.. I won't see the effect of it any time soon.. but in 10-15 years I would.

actually that's pretty much what I do now, espically it's at the horse track.. but i actually make money.. I'm getting off track.

the only people who don't have to get jobs are people born into inherited money. I earned every thing I have myself. I worked my ass off. I might not have what some would consider a "real job" (although I usually put in 60 plus hours of "work" a week) but I did at one time. what he is saying is you can't just sit in a book store and than go home and have money just appear in your bank account

just like you can't sit on this forum and magically expect the phones to start ringing of the hook with women.

Tomehlee

Reaction score
Bill Gates is still the world's richest man at $56 bil. And these tips aren't from Bill Gates, they're from the book "Dumbing Down Our Kids" by Charles Skyes.