Flunking out of college!...what to do next?

Cappy da pimp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Like it was already mentioned the Jr College route might be an option. I did that straight from HS and will graduate with my associates in may and transfer to a 4 year for the fall, just dont ask me where yet. Anyway Everyday it seems like I keep seeing kids from my class who had to transfer back cause they messed up somewhere along the line. For me its only more motivation, but thats irrelevant to you. First talk to your teachers and try and get help and if you need to take a semester or a year at a Jr College do it. For most intentents and purposes you will be taken the same courses at a lower cost, possibly with smaller class sizes.

Interpol

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Caldus
Not to sound like an ass or anything, but am I the only one who thought the freshman courses in college were the easiest classes ever? They were even easier than some of my high school classes. The amount of work I put into those classes was maybe a few hours a week at the very most and I got A's in all of them. What's so hard about studying for one hour and pulling off C's? It's definitely not hard to do that.
Uh, I think this depends a lot on what college you go to and what your major is...

JohnJones

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd carefully read your school's view on how GPAs get calculated, to what extent you can repeat classes and change/replace/average grades (but bear in mind that most Grad schools will take everything on your transcript into account).

I agree on the use of "withdrawals"

Your school may have acacdemic probation (which you might be on) and it likely has some kind of academic dismissal which usually has an appeals process and/or some kind of cooling off period where they won't let you back in until you have additional credits from someplace else under your belt.

It's also only March.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First, I'd recommend that you never crosspost again (post the same thing in two different sections of the forum). This thread has had all replies moved to the other, and is closed. If you crosspost again, one of the two threads will simply be deleted without being merged with no warning whatsoever. Thanks.

Tweek_1984

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a fresher at university and this is my second attempt at a different subject at a different uni.

The uni I used to go to has much more prestige than the one I'm at now and I was kicking myself that I dropped out.

This year I've been really mature. I havent been drinking much, I stopped smoking weed and basically concentrated on my work. But at the moment I think I'm struggling. We are nearing the end of the year and so far I've done well but I've got exams coming up and some big assignments and I'm not confident about either at all.

In you situation I'd just re-take the year. But, I'm in a bad situation because if I don't pass this time, I'll have to go home and think about my career options and what exactly I'm going to do. Which is a shame because college is awesome.

It's not the fact that the classes are really easy (which they are not), it's more a question of motivation, dedication and good time management. I hate being told that the 1st year is easy because it totally differs between courses.

Caldus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aren't most of the freshman courses stuff like English 101? I seriously think that anyone could pass these classes. All they have to do is put aside as little as an hour every week for the class and they can still pull off a passing grade. After studying (for an hour or two) you still have pretty much the whole day still to go out and party or whatever. It's a matter of being disciplined. Can't blame it on alchohol or girls. I know people who don't party and still do bad in school simply because they don't have any discipline. I agree with whoever said you need to rethink why you are in college. If you really were serious about getting a decent job later on in life, then you would put forth the effort to pass these classes.