Fish oil - is this a good way to take it?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bought a couple of bottles of this type of fish oil: http://naturemade.com/ProductDatabase/images/label/fishoil_label.jpg

There are 1.2 grams of fish oil in a pill, and I am taking 9 pills a day for a total of 10.8 grams a day. I take 3 at 12 pm, 3 at 6 pm, and 3 at 12 am.

After taking it for a little over a month, I noticed 2 things:

First of all, my lips don't get dry anymore. I have a problem with dry lips a lot, especially when it gets cold out. But lately my lips have been very soft and feel a lot better.

The other thing: HUGE increase in sex drive.

I don't know if it's the fish oil, but I noticed both of these things after I had been taking it for a little over a month, so I don't think it's a placebo. They are both very noticeable.

LivA

Don Juan
Reaction score
They are supposed to make you smarter, too. Always a plus!!

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yep they work great.

Based on the label you provided we don't count the raw fish oil, rather that the 2 pills combined contain 432mg EPA and 288 mg DHA (those are the active omega-3) so that makes it 360mg EPA/DHA combined per 1 gram capsule (~36% omega-3 concentrate). So you are getting 360mg x 9 = 3.24 grams of EPA/DHA a day which is excellent, most studies see significant benefit from 1 to 4 grams of EPA&DHA daily.

I take 2.5 grams of EPA/DHA over the course of the day with (5) 1gram capsules of Carlson Labs 'Super Omega-3" Fish Oil.

You 3x dosing may modulate carbohydrate metabolism in positive manner, so what you doing sounds a like good plan.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool. Would I get any benefit by increasing the amount at all?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've seen similar benefits from a very similar dosage, rotating between a couple different brands including the one you've linked to. I've also seen positive mood & muscle/fat ratio benefits, both of which could of course be placebo effects but I'm convinced otherwise.

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
I've seen similar benefits from a very similar dosage, rotating between a couple different brands including the one you've linked to. I've also seen positive mood & muscle/fat ratio benefits, both of which could of course be placebo effects but I'm convinced otherwise.

It's real.

The scientific evidence is mounting. I'm talking 'peer reviewed' studies in quality science journals.

I agree some supplements are better than others, esp. the ones that more concentrated.

Hi Kerpal, I believe (based on the studies that I have read) you are at a sweet spot at 3-4g EPA/DHA/ day. My only question, is that I'm not sure of your total caloric intake. Most of these studes used people who I assume consumed ~2500Kcal/day, perhaps you can scale up the dosage based on caloric intake, to maintain the % similar. Just a thought. I'm sure that any additional Fish PUFA's that are not used by the body for hormone signaling and cell membranes will be ulitized as fuel by the mitocondria. Also keep in mind, their is such of too much of good thing " As the Dose, makes it the Poision or the Cure", one concern is that high doses of EPA/DHA does increase blood clotting time

Again, I 5-6 pills a/day, so that is 2.5 to 3 grams of EPA/DHA day. I feel great, and I expend alot of calories (~4000 KCAL) as I'm an accomplished endurance athlete.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. I have no idea what my caloric intake is. I don't keep track of that stuff. I usually train twice a day 5-6 days a week, so I eat A LOT. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now, it seems to be working. You know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.