first date please help

allen2000

Don Juan
Reaction score
ok so i met this chick on line.

we made plans earlier in the week to go out tomorrow night. last night, she starts laying some heavy **** on me about ex-bf, family drama, other lifestyle issues - this is not really a girl i see a whole lot of immediate relationship material in. in fact, i honestly don't see much potential in that at all, at least for now.

HOWEVER...

i genuinely like many things about her, and after talking with her for awhile, i can see that she probably likes some things about me as well. problem is, we have a date tomorrow and i really want to tell her BEFORE the date that we should be meeting as friends only, not as a "romantic" date, as per the original intentions.

how can i do this? a female friend advised me that i should call her later tonight or early tomorrow and tell her that in light of all the new information we discussed the other night, i think it is probably best to meet as "friends". this way, the girl will not think that i met her and am blowing her off after the first date because of her looks or something like that, and just not having the balls to say so.

i wouldn't mind getting to know this girl a little more, and she def. has some positive attributes. but i don't want her expecting prince charming after all the stuff she unloaded on me. i don't think that she or i are ready to be moving toward that kind of stuff at this time.

thoughts? i want to be the stand-up guy, and not hurt her intentionally or look like a douche in the process.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Allen,
You are taking this far too seriously....just meet up and practice on her!

window

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
how many chicks go on first dates knowing full well they are not romantically interested in the man...try not to compartmentalise things, go along. You never know you might change your mind.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
allen2000 said:
i wouldn't mind getting to know this girl a little more, and she def. has some positive attributes.
Let met tell you how it works with women and dating...

Turning a female friend into a lover is 90% impossible
Turning a lover into a female friend is 90% possible.

When you start a new 'relationship' with a woman, ALWAYS make it sexual from the get-go. It widens your options. If you find that you don't really like her all that much, you can either ditch her or demote her to a friend.

If you start out as friends, you're stuck there.