Female mate selection - how and why

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Below I have posted descriptions of 4 men from a case study I was involved with as part of my post-graduate thesis for personality psychology. These descriptions are excerpts from a case study comparing female mate selection. They were presented individually to 101 university women between the ages of 18 and 36. All were single/unmarried and none were aware of the intent of the experiment. I'll present more details of the experiment after you have chance to respond so as not to spoil your genuine responses. Here are the descriptions:

------------------
M is an art student. M has always had a passion for painting and plans to pursue a career in art. He creates paintings of people and complex landscapes. His paintings are so lifelike that they are often mistaken for photographs. The consensus amongst his art professors is that he is, by far, the most talented student they have seen. One professor, an expert on lifelike paintings, says he believes M is one of the most talented artists ever to produce these paintings. To make extra money to support his schooling, M has sold a few of his best paintings. They have sold for between 100 and 200 dollars. One professor lamented that M's paintings are worth far more, but like so many other artists, he will probably never make very much money selling them.

L is an art student. He paints abstract paintings. L came into art by chance. He took an art class as an elective because it fit well in his schedule. For his midterm project, he produced an abstract painting after an hour of "fooling around" with the paint and canvas. The majority of the painting actually consisted of paint he accidentally spilled onto the canvas. A very wealthy man who was looking for art for his home discovered L's painting in the student art studio. He paid L $5000 dollars for the painting. Some of the man's other wealthy friends liked L's painting and commissioned a total of $100,000 in paintings from him. L and his art professors were shocked at the success of L's paintings, because, in the words of one professor, "he has no real talent, just some good luck." L continues to capitalize on his success by selling his abstract art.

L and M are considered highly desirable by other women on campus and very attractive. Friends of L and M say that they are dependable, kind, and generous friends.

J is an entrepreneur who had great success in his first business venture. He started a small software business in a friend's garage. His product was a new kind of software for improving factory designs to radically increase the profitability of manufacturing. Within his first year, J secured contracts with Ford, General Electric, and Boeing. In the next three years, J sold his software to most of the top manufacturing companies in the United States and several of the top companies in Asia. After 5 years in business, J's company was valued at 120 million dollars and had 250 employees. The Wall Street Journal credited the success of J's company to the "brilliance and novelty" of J's product and to J's "sheer genius as a businessman." However, J's company fell victim to misfortune the next year. After J rejected a take-over bid from Microsoft, Microsoft filed a lawsuit claiming that J's software infringed on some of their patents. Although most experts agreed that the suit had no merit, the cost of defending himself against the lawsuit created huge cash flow problems for J, which drove the company into bankruptcy. Although J has very little money left, he has recently begun a new business venture to sell another of the software products he has invented.

R recently inherited 20 million dollars from the couple who had adopted him when he was a year old. They died in a car crash, having made their fortune in commercial real estate. Before they died, R worked as a sales person at a computer company. Although R worked at the company for several years, he had not advanced past his starting salary or rank within the company. He went to a community college, but after graduation he didn't feel sure what to do with his life. A friend who was working at the computer company suggested that R join him and work there. In R's words, "I guess I'm just not very good at this job. At least now I won't have to worry about money any more." R and his adoptive parents were very close, and he was deeply saddened by their deaths.

J and R are both in the mid-twenties. They were recently nominated as two of the most eligible bachelors in Los Angeles.
------------------

Of these 4 men, which do you suppose was rated the highest in desirability with which to have a short-term sexual affair with by these women? And which man was rated the highest in desirability to enter into a long-term relationship with?

AsianPlayboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
My guess is that L, the loser painter w/ lots of $, would be the short term relationship while R, the rich but apathetic trust fund kid, would be the long term.

TonyTheTigerOI

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In real life - R would have the most short term success with his "fame and fortune" (money and Mr LA) while J would have the most long term success (entrapreneourship developes mny of the character trates necessary for seduction).

According to womens mind... jesus this is an illogical stretch... L short term R long term?

TedJustAdmitIt

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm gonna say M for both short and long term.

If it has to be two different I'll say M for short term and J for long term.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the experiment it was technically possible to choose the same man for both instances. Sorry, should've made that clear.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not enough information

OK, that tells a bit about their careers and talents, but what of how they relate to women?

Call me cynical. but based on the info provided, I'll go with L (monkey with a paintbrush) for the lay, and R (Mr. Inheritance) for the LTR. I'm channeling the ghost of banned x-user PR_L, and assuming "they're ho's."

Kerouwacky

Don Juan
Reaction score
Depending on what a woman is looking for... emotional stability vs. financial security.

For long term, I'd go with M and J. They have talent and can stick with something even if there's not immediate payoff or if things get difficult. Long-haul types. But with M, a woman has to appreciate him for himself and his work and not because she thinks he'll make lots of $, because it probably won't happen.

And it was pointed out that M is "very attractive, dependable, kind, and generous"

R is more likely short term. Let's face it... he's rich and you don't have to worry about meeting his parents. He's also probably very depressed and emotionally vulnerable right now, which makes him an easy target for gold diggers and manipulative women. He might also attract women who are drawn to the lost puppy types, who want to be there for him and help him get better. But he could become long term if he meets the right girl. But he needs to deal with his parents death and figure out what he's going to do with his life/money. Make some kind of positive contribution to society, find work he enjoys.

L is most likely short term unless he has something to fall back on if/when the general public realizes he doesn't really have talent and was just really lucky. For now, there's lots of chicks who want to **** successful artists with $$. Hopefully if the art thing doesn't work out for him in the long run, he'll have other skills to fall back on and maybe attract a woman who appreciates him for who he really is. He was also seen as "very attractive, dependable, kind, and generous" so that helps.

aftershock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, you were asking women to THINK about something!

Come on! Theres a reason we earn more than them:D.

After saying that:

Short term: L, perhaps R. Actually, maybe more R. Not sure.

Long term: could be any of them; R could get the sympathy vote, J could be seen as a good long term venture despite his current state, L has cash and perhaps even fame. M, maybe not, though he's seen as being hardworking and they may like that.

Overall I'd say that J would make the best DJ, I think he'd have the balls to approach and be the man, etc. M and R seem too much like pussies to approach. I don't know enough about L - does he take advantage of situations in other areas of life too? If so, perhaps he can DJ.

I'll be interested to hear the results.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
M is perfect for a short term, and J is good for LTR.

Rollo you should have made this question as a poll..
When will you post the answer?

libre

Don Juan
Reaction score
My votes are :

L for the immediate wild adventure.

R for the long term security and stability.

gmonster2

Don Juan
Reaction score
M short term and R long term.

M altho with no cash has the arty farty aspect that the girls like as he has real talent and is different from the run of the mill guy.

just like they flock to musos whether the band is making money or not..But not for long term as he can't provide for her and her kids...

R has 20 mill, thats all a girl needs to know for a LTR.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ooh, this is getting good. I'll wait for a few more post though to get a concensus.

BONHOMME: These guys a theoretical archetypes, how they relate to women is irrelevant. How the subject women percieved them is what's being acessed.

HuuBinh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a huge fatal flaw in this experiment that may not reflect the true behavior of these women.

The problem here is that, these women were given DESCRIPTIONS of various types of men to pick.

In essence, these women will make LOGICAL decisions in what type of men they THINK they want.

In reality, their EMOTIONS dictate who they'll choose, and it is often the opposite of their logic.

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This same study is on the net somewhere, very similar. Based on that study, the answer here would be J (and sounds like me), though my company isn't bankrupt.

So it is .. J IS the most desired for long term relationships. He shows ambition and talent etc., and when he falls gets back up only to climb even higher. This is the test of true champions.

M is the next most desired, and then L and last and least is R.

PVSSY-EATER

Banned
Reaction score
Hate to be the different one on the thread, but lets not get caught up in stereotypes and so on. This is the main problem, and why guys are STILL afcs today, because they are so busy trying to fit a stereotype that women have created......

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by HuuBinh
There is a huge fatal flaw in this experiment that may not reflect the true behavior of these women.

The problem here is that, these women were given DESCRIPTIONS of various types of men to pick.

In essence, these women will make LOGICAL decisions in what type of men they THINK they want.

In reality, their EMOTIONS dictate who they'll choose, and it is often the opposite of their logic.
Good point. But it would be almost impossible to actually measure the real-world behavior of girls and answer the question of which archetypes they actually prefer.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heheheh,...

Interesting, the variety of responses and rationales members of this forum react in.

tmpgstx: I'm sorry, but I'll have to ask you to trust me. There is no similar study previously posted (to my knowledge) on the internet.

Heheh,..man this is better than I expected.

tmpgstx

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I did stumble across one just like it though. It had all the types just like here, and even the inheritance vs. guy making his own money etc. Also had the Art angle too .. strikingly similar. It had the answers in order too. It was a paper though done by a professor somewhere.

It'll be interesting to hear your results.

"As many women choose males that are still young and relatively lacking in social status and resources, a good cue to potential resource acquisition is education and willingness to seek resources. Women thus place high value on good education, the possession of a promising career, and characteristics indicating hard work in potential mates: career orientation, industriousness and ambition. Women are significantly more likely to discontinue relationships with males who become unemployed, lack career motivation or show laziness "

gruby

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude those descriptions are so lame. No offence but as a former art student who actually painted relistic **** your description of abstract art shows gross miss-undertsanding of art world, art makrkets and art in general. I know that the point of teh study has nothing to do with your description of the archetypes and there is to discover something else howeer i just couldn't stop and point out your ignorance.