'Fat' could become 'normal' in America by 2015

redspicyflag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh my lord

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=469486&in_page_id=1811

If Americans keep gaining weight at the current rate, fat will be the norm by 2015, with 75 per cent of US adults overweight and 41 percent obese, researchers have predicted.

A team at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore examined 20 studies published in journals and looked at national surveys of weight and behavior for their analysis, published in the journal Epidemiologic Reviews.

"Obesity is a public health crisis. If the rate of obesity and overweight continues at this pace, by 2015, 75 per cent of adults and nearly 24 per cent of US children and adolescents will be overweight or obese," Dr. Youfa Wang, who led the study, said in a statement.

They defined adult overweight and obesity using a standard medical definition called body mass index. People with a BMI of 25 or above are considered overweight, while those with BMIs of 30 or above are obese and at serious risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers.

Studies show that 66 per cent of US adults were overweight or obese in 2003 and 2004. An alarming 80 per cent of black women aged 40 or over are overweight and 50 per cent are obese.

Sixteen per cent of US children and adolescents are overweight and 34 per cent are at risk of becoming overweight, according to federal government figures. Every group is steadily getting heavier, Wang said.

"Our analysis showed patterns of obesity or overweight for various groups of Americans," said May Beydoun, who worked on the study.

"Obesity is likely to continue to increase, and if nothing is done, it will soon become the leading preventable cause of death in the United States."

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Wherever the Dong guides me, but mostly Hawaii
I'm so tired of looking at these disgusting fat asses in this country - it's really ridiculous - I was in Brazil for three months last year and didn't see one fatso - the women all have nice bodies, even the not so cute ones - It was really refreshing - I'm thinking about moving

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Dongfu said:
I'm so tired of looking at these disgusting fat asses in this country - it's really ridiculous - I was in Brazil for three months last year and didn't see one fatso - the women all have nice bodies, even the not so cute ones - It was really refreshing - I'm thinking about moving
Yea, my friend was in Croatia and said there were no fat people and most the women were fat.

I am sick of looking at fat asses as well. I see these fat guys who naturally, can only get fat women and I say to myself, "Dude, don't you want to get attractive women?

I think genetics plays are role in how easy it is to gain and how hard it is to lose weight, but that is just means you have to work harder. Every fat person I have known eats like **** ans way too much and DOES NOT exercise.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fat people always have something to blame for their being fat. If you listen to them, they'll all swear that they eat as healthy as rabbits. Then claim that it's their metabolism or genes that made them fat. Sure, a bad metabolism doesn't help, but neither does a bag of Doritos. One friend of mine who gained quite a bit of weight after getting married admits that she has put on some pounds but says, "I'm a woman so that's to be expected". I didn't say anything in response but thought that was pretty ridiculous. Her whole family is fat as well, which is usually the case, fat parents tend to pass their habits on to their kids and you have a whole family of fatties waddling around.

Genetic or not, there is one reason why they are fat, because they have a calorie surplus, so they need to either walk more or take in less fat and sugar. Nobody is going to get fat if they eat a strictly healthy diet.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
FAT is already normal in America. Have you seen how most people are either overweight or obese? You haven't? Do what I used to do on my way to work. I would take the streets to work and notice the first 10 people I saw outside and noticed who was fat, about 6-7 of them was fat, always.

The Pedantical

Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Nobody is going to get fat if they eat a strictly healthy diet.
Not true. If you have a thyroid disease, you can gain hundreds of pounds in a few months while exercizing and dieting like crazy.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Pedantical said:
Not true. If you have a thyroid disease, you can gain hundreds of pounds in a few months while exercizing and dieting like crazy.
Hundreds? Are you serious? What if the person went on a diet of lean meat like skinless chicken breast, brocolli, carots and brown rice? If someone ate that every day in theory, where would the fat come from? I mean you have to intake fat in the first place for it to collect on your body.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Pedantical said:
Are you fat? Chances you are, based on how more than half the people in this country are overweight. Do you have thyroid disease?

How many of the fat people you know have been diagnosed with a thyroid malfunction? ]

If only the people who have a thyroid condition were fat, then the fat rate would be extremely low in this country.

READ MORE, POST LESS!

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Pedantical said:
THAT'S IT!!! AMERICAN'S HAVE ENCOUNTERED A THYROID IMPACTING PANDEMIC!!!

We know about the exceptions, they are few and far between in ratio to the masses (or massives).

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know this FINE!! Girl who found out she had a thyroid problem and she started to gain weight. Nothing too bad though, but she works her azz off to keep the weight down

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another thing that's screwed up about this is that if fat becomes normal, then imagine what that's going to do to everyone's health insurance premiums? If you think they're high now, it's only going to get worse and worse as people neglect their health.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Another thing that's screwed up about this is that if fat becomes normal, then imagine what that's going to do to everyone's health insurance premiums? If you think they're high now, it's only going to get worse and worse as people neglect their health.
Fat Tax could save 3,200 lives each year.

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to hate how I had a naturally skinny body. Now I seriously treat it as a blessing. Maybe in the future people like me will be in high demand :D .

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you see a fat person on the bus they are always eating a cake.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I ever become fat or obese, please throw me off of a cliff and then feed me to starving children of Ethiopia (or I will personally do it). There is no reason to be fat and I have seen what hell being overweight does to a person.

If the US becomes mostly overweight, than I'm either moving or going to kill myself.

I don't understand why the American Government doesn't just give tax breaks to people at a normal healthy weight OR people that are muscular. Even if the government loses so much money on this from taxes they make it up in the medicare situation.

Also I believe that the American Government gives tax breaks for people that try to lose weight by buying exercise equipment. Why not tax breaks to skinny people as well?

I believe that would help to alleviate some of the bulging bellies (at least a bit).

comic_relief

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nighthawk said:
If you see a fat person on the bus they are always eating a cake.
You should be careful with the generalizations, some do some don't. :nono: And before you ask, I'll go ahead and tell you: no, I'm not fat. :D

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
This is actually a great idea. They tax the hell out of smokers, why not start taxing people who eat unhealthy?

As far as the fat/obesity rates here in the US, sometimes I wonder if they are a bit higher than they should be.

I agree we have more than our share of overweight people..

However, I would fall under overwieght. I'm 5'10, about 190 now. I've gained 15 pounds in the past 3 months hitting the gym really hard. If you go by my weight/height, yes I'm technically overweight, even though it's muscle wieght, not fat weight.

Does anyone know how these stats were compiled? Are they on height and weight alone, or more BMI?