Fashion and style section

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not just for metros. I have a feeling almost everyone here would benefit from good style advice.

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey princess, do you mind telling me why do you care so much? Go to askmen.com for fashion:down:

Scumfrog

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bling said:
Hey princess, do you mind telling me why do you care so much? Go to askmen.com for fashion:down:
he could just go to askmen.com and read about how to improve his dating life as well... though he'd probably get better advice here. But your right, I don't really think a fashion and style section is needed... men's fashion is pretty basic.

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't complain about a style section if the help is anywhere near that offered in the other boards.

Archaxis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Embrace said:
Why isnt there a section on the forum for style and stuff like that? For the metro's around here. :rock:
Could be useful... I try to look my best, though despite what sosuave says about dressing nicely, my observations whow that the best quality girls statistically stick to guys with a simple pair of khaki cargo pants and a t-shirt... makes my wonder why I iron button downs every day... and why I don't just wear my khaki cargo pants and a t-shirt more often. :confused:

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Archaxis said:
Could be useful... I try to look my best, though despite what sosuave says about dressing nicely, my observations whow that the best quality girls statistically stick to guys with a simple pair of khaki cargo pants and a t-shirt... makes my wonder why I iron button downs every day... and why I don't just wear my khaki cargo pants and a t-shirt more often. :confused:
You don't have to wear button-downs everyday if you don't want to.

Wear those khakis and t-shirts if you feel more comfortable in them.

I don't really think men need style advice, so long as they dress appropriately and decently for the occasion, and are comfortable wearing that.

Also: those tv shows like 'what not to wear' and 'queer eye for the straight guy' seem to prey on people's insecurities and try to make out that they will be so much "better" if they just bought the right clothes or read the right books, or appear cultured and sophisticated and whatnot.

However, when it really comes down to what 'makes or breaks' an individual, clothing is not important; it makes little difference, so long as it is decent and appropriate.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fashion and Style are two completely different things.

Fashion = what everybody is wearing, what media/marketing thinks everybody should wear, what people wear when they have low confidence and "want to fit in"

Style = what YOU wear, what you wear because YOU want to wear it, what you wear because that's "just what I wear, it's what I do, it's who I am"

To me, fashion sucks. It's too extreme. The "look that's in" now is dumpy and scrubby looking to me. How is it okay to buy new clothes that are ripped up and worn out? Silly. That sh!t makes you look like a scumbag right off the shelf? And you pay huge amounts of cash for it? Oooh, I know! Let's look like a scumbag with a blazer and aviator sunglasses on... yeah! Fashion sucks. It's a media game. And, it costs far too much to bother keeping up with it.

I'm pretty "metro" and I am frequently accused of being either metro or straight up gay. I wear the nice colognes, I keep clean-shaven, groom my fingernails, and I wear "smart" clothes. Overall, I look ultra-clean. However, my "style" and my "metroness" clash hard. And that's MY style.

For example, I'll wear spit-shined combat boots with all-black BDU pants tucked into them (wo0t! Army Style!) with a button-down shirt and a flex-fit cap without logos to the club. How does this work? Baggy and militant, yet, clean? Dumpy and sharp? If the boots were cruddy looking, it wouldn't work. If the hat had a baseball logo, it wouldn't work. If the pants were camo... well... that would still work, but, you gotta color coodinate the shirt and the hat... hmm... I gotta go shopping.

Truth be told, my combat boots are the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned.

I wear clothes for comfort. I wear clothes because I can't run around naked. I wear clothes because I think they look cool, and I feel a certain way in them.

So the point is, there isn't a fashion and style forum here because a Don Juan's mindset isn't one of "Let me wear what everyone else does to impress people".
:nono:
Instead, a Don Juan wears clothes HE likes. He wears clothes that he wants because he feels good wearing them, or feels goofy wearing them, or feels naughty wearing them... a Don Juan doesn't need to discuss what's "hot and what's not". A Don Juan didn't become a Don Juan by slapping on designer threads, he became a Don Juan by changing his attitudes and becoming confident in himself. Any DJ will tell you: "Clothes don't make the Man. Look. I'm already a man, I could be in the club naked - I'd still be a man, and proud of it."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that fashion and style are not an important part of one's "game". I'm saying that it far too often gets more importance associated with it than it should.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just open my drawers and grab the first 6 year pants and T-shirt I find, put on some random socks and my shoe.

Works for me.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I rock WalMart Jeans, A clean white tee, and clean casual black shoes. Although that Khaki and tee idea sounds nice. Damn I wish I had money to buy clothing.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think a fashion/style board would be helpful, because nobody on this board, save a few, has knowledge in that regard.

Taviii

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think we should have one. Style matters more than some people think.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just recently realized that Target actually has nice stylish, designer-like clothes for pretty cheap; I used to think they were just another Walmart. I suggest looking there for some stylish clothes if you think you can't afford any. Or if you wanna do more digging, go to a store like Marshalls.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scrumtulescence said:
I just recently realized that Target actually has nice stylish, designer-like clothes for pretty cheap; I used to think they were just another Walmart. I suggest looking there for some stylish clothes if you think you can't afford any. Or if you wanna do more digging, go to a store like Marshalls.
Quoted for truth; the quality is very, very bad but the fits are kinda nice. It's a good way to stock up on basics so you have more money to spend on the cool, more expensive sh¡t you need, i.e. JEANS.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eh, what's wrong with the quality? I always see people say "oh their clothes are crap quality, they but fall apart easily" about this or that store, but for the most part I never know what the hell they're talking about. You think if you buy some shirt at Target it's going to fall apart at the seams in a year? I have some pretty cool/stylish shirts I bought from places like Kohls and Sears one, two, three years ago, and they're still in perfect condition. I've also bought $20/30/40 (sometimes on sale) jeans and usually they stay in good condition. Buying really expensive clothes is overrated, unless it's necessary to get a certain style you're going for.

I could understand wanting to spend more on pants, because pants are more likely to fall apart or have something go wrong with them, but then again I've always been afraid to spend more than $70 on any kind of pants because it's so easy to still on them or stain them in some way. It's just not worth it IMO. Besides if you know where to look, you don't have to spend $130+ just to get a stylish looking pair of jeans or whatever.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Target's house brand (Merona) T-shirts stretch very easily. They don't retain shape. You're better off buying a more expensive T-shirt that lasts longer, like American Apparel.

Don't buy Banana Republic T-shirts. They're overpriced and they fall apart and lose shape.

Soldier711

Don Juan
Reaction score
I found a polo shirt at Wal Mart for 10 bucks that looked exactly the same as a polo shirt from a designer store for $30-$40. They both lasted the same amount of time. Both look the same. Both are made from the same material. The only difference? The expensive shirt has a logo on it. Says Chap or some sh!t like that. Don't know about y'all, but I'm sticking with Wal Mart!

elton

Don Juan
Reaction score
anybody wear AX or FCUK, Express is good and kinda cheap too. i think expensive clothing is needed sometimes to give you that boost of confidence. i dont care who you are but u will feel better in a tshirt that costs 30-40 compared to a fruit of the loom 5 dollar t.