Facebook

It's-Me

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It only hit me today how much time people spend on facebook. It's so time consuming it's crazy.

I think I look at my facebook every 5-10 minutes to see news and updates. It's just so tempting. I have it on my phone, iPod and my computer. While I'm doing a project or going through my phone, it's just to easy to open up facebook and check quickly to see what's happening. It might just take a few seconds, but it adds up. I lose at least 1 hour every day just checking facebook and for what? Sure some things are funny and I like to comment on things, but it's not necessary. It's almost like an addiction...

What's your take on facebook?

Reaction score
It's a waste of time. People put too much emphasis on pimping on facebook instead of hitting the field harder.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't use it that often. I just opened an account because just about everyone else i know seemed to have an account. More like 1 minute a day for me.:wave:

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's-Me said:
It's almost like an addiction...

What's your take on facebook?
That's my take on Facebook. It's an addiction for most people. Even if it's not, it's still a waste of time.

I used to visit a forum frequently, or another site frequently, where there are always things to check on, all the time. I started spending more and more time on it. Soon, I realized that the first thing I did instinctively after walking into my room was sitting down and turning on the computer.

This was scary. I don't want to be reliant on the computer. In fact, I almost resent that I have to use it at all. Life is all around us, not in a computer screen.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Facebook has become addictive because it appeals to people's narcissism. Some girl can post, "I'm having a bad day" and within 15 minutes have 10 friends leave comments, "oooooh, poor baby what's wrong??? What happened??? I love you!" It's turned everyone into an attention ***** and people love it. I too am addicted. I only wish I spent just 1 hour a day on it like the OP. I'd get much more work done. I can't stay away from it. It's crazy. People are posting funny stuff all the time, then I want to comment, then see what people responded to my comment, etc etc, it's endless.

I don't think it's a total waste of time though. It serves a function that is really beneficial. It allows you to stay in touch and at least keep a lifeline open with people who you may like, but otherwise would never see or call up. Friends that have moved away to other states years ago and that you lost touch with, now you are back in touch with them and have a occasional message with them. Prior to facebook, these friends would just drift off into obscurity and never be heard from again, but now it adds a whole new dimension to how people relate to each other and keeps people in touch in a new and instantaneous way. I think it's a great thing, so long as you do it in moderation and don't get addicted like me.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The more you use the computer the more habitual it becomes. I've gone through phases where I will check a handful of websites every 30 minutes or so. Then when I would get home, the first thing I did was sit down at my desk. Thing is, none of it was even remotely necessary. I wasn't checking stocks, work emails, or bank balances. I was just seeing what forum thread had been updated or what was new on one of my regular sites.

Because my job is in front of a computer all day, it's tough. When you have unlimited internet and no real deadlines with work stuff, it creates fertile grounds for screwing off. What I have done is set my cell phone timer for an hour or two hours, and I will not TOUCH the internet for that time. It's boring, but effective. I do work. Also, on the weekends I barely use the computer. Maybe 30-60 min in the AM, if that. The best weekends are ones that are completely computer-free. I don't even miss it.

I spend maybe 5-10 minutes a day on Facebook. I could care less about some self-absorbed broad's worthless status update. With me it's the forums. Not just SS, but others. I just like to write, and I get sucked in.

Life really does happen outside of the monitor. Think about it---how much of your life spent in front of the computer are you actually going to remember? How much meaning does it have? None.

Don Israel

Don Juan
Reaction score
All I need to point out is the fact Facebook, needs to be a TOOL only, for us. We tend to use it as entertainment as well, since there are more than enough features embedded in it that wastes our time.

shadowfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
Facebook is scary, its so easy to get stalked on the internet now. Girls WILL and DO search for your name on this site and use it as a source of information gathering about men they find attractive.

bish0p

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Some girl can post, "I'm having a bad day" and within 15 minutes have 10 friends leave comments, "oooooh, poor baby what's wrong??? What happened??? I love you!"
I did something similar except I posted "Trying to make it through these tough times."

Within minutes all these girls where like "what's wrong?!" "Everything will be all right!"

I deleted it immediately. But, I did get into a conversation with a girl I dated a few years back, and she seemed to have turn into a motivational speaker.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
shadowfox said:
Facebook is scary, its so easy to get stalked on the internet now. Girls WILL and DO search for your name on this site and use it as a source of information gathering about men they find attractive.
Facebook has great privacy filters now. You can remove your name from being searchable, make your info only visible to people in your friends list. I actually have two friends list, people I'm closer to and people I that are loose acquaintances. I allow the closer people to see my updates and notes and stuff. The acquaintances, I have it blocked.

BigD

Reaction score
I spend too much time. Been working on it lately and it's getting better!

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
I'm on there about five minutes a week. My news feed is filled with people's accomplishments in the stupid games they play.
Luckily I have pretty interesting friends on there so they post interesting things a lot of the time. The ones that aren't so interesting and constantly post stupid sh*t throughout the day, I just have their updates filtered out.