Eye contact: ever get death threats?

BrotherAP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was walking down the sidewalk the once, with a cute blonde on my arm, and I made solid eye contact with some guys outside working on an old muscle car. All of a sudden one of the guys starts yellin stuff (don't remember what) and goes to his car and grabs a shovel, while yelling "yeah you better keep walking". I just started shaking my head, and kept walking. I mean, wtf, I was walking - he acts like he won something. That's like telling a sleeping dog to "lie down!" and then bragging about how obedient he is.

It seems that some people see eye contact as a challenge. That must be why it works so well with women - they like to be challenged.

chili kat

Don Juan
Reaction score
if you didn't say or do anything when "solid" eye contact was made, I'd think you were staring me down too.

Did you comment on the car, say what's up? Anything?

BrotherAP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I would have commented on the car, said hi, done something friendly, but one tends not too when they're getting threatened with a shovel. I don't think I crossed the line for staring - in this case, I'd say this guy was a little over-aggressive. Maybe drunk.

Caldus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ignore those kind of people. Seriously. They must be real messed up in the head if they feel like they have to death-threat you b/c of you making eye contact with them.

BrotherAP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good point. There are plenty of hot babes out there I could be eyeing, no sense worrying that a few dudes got their panties in a knot over it.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As eye contact with males is a sign of dominance, ie who will submit to the challenge first, at some stage of course your gonna get someone who ups the anti.

He's basically called your bluff. These situations are always compounded if there are females present.

napoleon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When a guy stares at me I hold EC for about 3 s and if he doesn't avert his look I smile or grin in his face (for acting tough) .A smile that says -man I'm so better than you ,you stupid fu ck.

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if u stare and smile at a guy they might think you're gay

tx_interface

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had one incident a few years ago in college. I was sitting in the library and was deep in thought about something and was facing the direction of some dumbass. He was throwing his arms up to as if to say "I'm bad-- you want some" I didn't even realize that he was doing this until I just snaped out of my thought and I just said " I was lost in thought there for a minute.......you OK?"

gimmeyofonenumba

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man things must be tough where yall live. If for some reason i have EC with a guy for a few seconds and he passes me, I just nod my head or say "sup" I never thought of EC as some kinda invitation to a fight.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think eye contact can be taken too far. For the most part, I just mind my own business and don't try to intentionally look into people's eyes just for the hell of it (especially guys)! That's just odd.

jprjrjr

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a big, muscular guy. Sometimes I make eye contact with other males, but nothing serious. Generally I get the "respect" nod, and I usually reciprocate.

Rockadeimis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by jprjrjr
I'm a big, muscular guy. Sometimes I make eye contact with other males, but nothing serious. Generally I get the "respect" nod, and I usually reciprocate.
When you're that big, you're pretty much on the top of the "macho" food chain...even if you aren't trying to be a "tough guy". I'd give you the "respect" nod too...

Sexual

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol I have a similar story.

I was with three buddies buying liquor the other day and this coked out redneck comes up and his eyes are like bulging out. He says, "Man my cars outta gas I need a ride up the street." All I said was, "sorry bro, I don't know you." He walks away all puffing his chest out shaking his head and calls to his buddy across the parking lot, "these ****ers said the same as the other guys."

Now my friends and I, especially one of them, are all big and tall football players. I shouted, "come on now don't say that kind of ****." Buddy turns around takes off his shirt and starts hootin and hollerin while backing up, "I don't give a **** there's four of yall and I'll kick all your ***** asses.

Instead of crying about it, instead of smearing his face in pavement, in this situation we just taunted him like he did us and made him look like a retard.

We drove around him in circles saying every kind of demoralizing thing we could while he sat there without gas claiming he's the toughest biotch there is. I swear when we left there were tears swelling up in his crazy eyes, lol.

Even if I did nothing the moral of the story is: Be the bigger man, say "wow that biotch has some issues I hope he gets laid at least once in his life." Then go get your's.

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a guy pop me one about two years ago. I was lost in thought, just staring at space which happened to have him near it, and he locked eyes and walked right over to me. Turned out he had a scar on his ear (which I couldn't even see; that side of his head was turned away from me) that he was really touchy about. He started getting belligerent. As I was trying to figure WTF, he popped me. I slipped the punch (four years in the Marines -- I've been hit much harder by guys much faster) and the bouncers were there by then to remove him. I got a free drink out of it and got the full story from the bartender.

jprjrjr

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by bullmoose
I had a guy pop me one about two years ago. I was lost in thought, just staring at space which happened to have him near it, and he locked eyes and walked right over to me. Turned out he had a scar on his ear (which I couldn't even see; that side of his head was turned away from me) that he was really touchy about. He started getting belligerent. As I was trying to figure WTF, he popped me. I slipped the punch (four years in the Marines -- I've been hit much harder by guys much faster) and the bouncers were there by then to remove him. I got a free drink out of it and got the full story from the bartender.
Semper Fi jarhead...ohhhh rahhhh