Dump and Breakup (SOLUTIONS)

donpepot

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're reading this, you've probably already tried the begging, pleading, and emotional cries for mercy

Let's start with why begging and pleading for another chance doesn't work. Ok, it might work once or twice, but you know why? It's because you've administered a heavy dose of guilt, and chances are said ex still has feelings for you - and caved under the pressure. Now, if you've ever been guilted into doing something, you know you're not going into it wholeheartedly, in a sense it's emotional blackmail, albeit unintentional, and it leads to resentment just waiting to blossom in the first conflict that comes after. I know, you THINK you're just letting them know how much they mean to you. However, what's heard is "you're breaking my heart, you're hurting me incredibly, this person who loves you so!" Always, always, always try and think a step ahead - if you needed a break from a relationship for some reason and still had feelings for someone, how would this make you feel? Yep, approximately an inch tall and the lowest life form on the planet. Needless to say, this is NOT a good beginning to trying to rekindle a romantic relationship!

Step one - ok, you've all heard it, seen it advised, and wondered how the heck it helps when you're thinking you need to be around to remind your love of all the good times you've shared and how much they mean to you. Yep, the dreaded "no contact" rule. (Note: if no contact isn't completely possible due to work/school situation or shared friends, skip on to step 2 ) The reasoning that you need to remind your ex of your presence? First error in judgement. The hard fact is, you have to be noticeably "not there" for your ex to MISS you. The last thing someone who may rethink things wants is someone hounding their footsteps trying to influence them. The first thing they're gonna miss, assuming you guys have been together more than a few weeks, is that "person being around to share things with" that they've grown accustomed to. After you've been in a relationship for a while, think about it - when you've had a bad day at work, or done really great on a test, gotten a part in a play, a job promotion - the instinct is to pick up the phone and call that person to share it! That needs no reminder, and THAT is what you want working in your favor. You want habit and that emotional "sharing" bond working FOR you here, rather than giving your ex ammunition to stay strong against you.Now, someone who is REALLY sure they're through - this may be the end of the road. There ARE no guarantees. You can't make someone love you if they truly don't. However, what you CAN do is to weigh the odds in your favor assuming there's some uncertainty, and tailor your actions to make them want to reconsider. If you think you're actually letting them talk themselves into it - you're absolutely right! But this way it's totally their decision - and the one person they can't hold out against forever is themselves!

Ok, now during this "no contact from you" phase - make SURE you stay BUSY. Bear in mind if/when your ex does get in touch with you - what kind of person do you want them to find at the other end of the phone, message, email, or "chance" meeting? A depressed, broken, morose husk of a person? Or that confident person they've had fun with and were attracted to? If you've seen problems in yourself that contributed to the breakup originally? Now is the time to get off your butt (mentally) and work on them! Use the time to make yourself someone you're happy with, someone you know is attractive, and yes, if you're up to it, even go out on some casual dates, or at the least, hang out with friends. A teasing grin is WAY more attractive than a morose frown or scowl - and how you think of yourself tends to show through any act you can put on.

Worst case, since it's not guaranteed - you'll be taking active steps to heal from the breakup and prepare yourself for a new relationship - and even best case - going BACK into a relationship, you want to do it as a whole, complete person. This no contact phase is likely to be one of the HARDEST things you ever have to do. If you feel yourself weakening - visit websites, call a friend, go for a walk, work out, ANYTHING. But try not to give in - or you'll have to start this step ALL OVER again. Now if knowing that isn't incentive, I dunno what is!

Step two - initial or casual contact. This can take MANY forms - it could be a casual call about something seemingly insignificant, an email asking you if you want a CD back that he or she JUST noticed they had in their car, ANYTHING. Rule #1 - if it seems like a really silly reason to call, it probably is. In other words, take heart, it's probably an excuse to initiate contact without looking like a weak idiot who wants to talk to you. BIG DON'T - do NOT point this out!!! BIG DON'T #2 - do NOT start off by thinking this is an open door to go into an emotional speech about how you've missed them so and your life hasn't been complete without them! Keep it cool, casual, comfortable. Don't bring up the relationship unless they do first. Don't bring up dating other people. Don't make a POINT out of saying how grand things are going - it should all be in the attitude, not in obvious points. DO respond nicely to "I've missed talking to you," but more with "yeah, it's really good to hear from you." Not with the impression you've been waiting weeks to hear it (even though you have!). DO take opportunities for light, flirty, "cute" comments and compliments, without overdoing it. The goal here is to make these contacts enjoyable, give the impression you still think of this person as an attractive member of the opposite sex, and keep it light and playful enough to avoid any pressure or discomfort. You want them to keep coming back for more, right? So make sure they end on an "up" note - and be the one to say you gotta go - nicely, but in a way that implies "I still have a life." In other words "oh man, I hate to run, but I told John I'd be at his house 5 minutes ago - it was great talking to you, hope to cya later!" says about 4 things at once - you had a good time talking, enough to be running a little late, your life isn't on hold, and you'd welcome hearing from him or her again. If you managed to hit that "fun and mood/ego boosting note" in the conversation - you've just made it almost a certainty the contact isn't going to end here. People come back for more of what makes them feel good, and feel attractive and desireable without being overwhelmed. This is a tentative "feeling out the vibes and mood" stage - intense can push away, completely aloof can be discouraging. So encourage their contact - without putting yourself on the line here.

Step three - meeting again, or less casual conversations, casual dates etc. The point where the ex starts openly questioning things about the breakup. Comments like "I've been thinking a lot lately about us," "Do you ever think about being with me?" "Have you started seeing anyone else yet?" Now, I know, this is what you've been waiting to hear! And impulse is to go with it and scream "oh thank GOD, I've been HOPING you'd consider going out with me again because I still love you as much as ever!" WHOA BUDDY!!! Apply the brakes here! Go with the flow - but let THEM lead the conversation and exploration here - you've got to find out what their "comfort zone" is as far as thinking about the relationship - and you're not gonna do that by taking control of the direction the conversation is headed in away from them! By all MEANS be encouraging,
"yeah, I've been thinking about it as well, I've missed being with you, penny for your thoughts?" Really listen to what's being said, encourage them to voice what they're thinking and feeling, respond honestly - but without being overwhelming about it. For example, they say "I dunno, I really miss some of what we had together," "yeah, me too, you think if we'd communicated better we could've worked it out?" "I wonder if it would be possible for us to figure out what went wrong in our relationship? Even if that means we don't get back together, that would help me tremendously in my next relationship." Remember, you NEED to know what the perceived problems were if you're going to build something better, don't get defensive, don't crawl on your knees begging forgiveness, make sure you get across you're going to really listen with an open mind, and offer suggestions and compromises you think might've helped. Blaming yourself at this point won't help, letting them blame themselves won't either. If they change the subject - even if you want to scream and bang your head into a wall because you still had questions - let them change it. Either they have enough to think on for the moment - or they've hit the end of their "comfort zone" before they feel pressured, so in either case, pressing the issue is going to work against you. Be patient, be encouraging that talking about it isn't going to make you defensive or lead to an argument, be encouraging you're interested in starting over again with them - without making it an issue you don't want to talk it out if they're not ready for that.

Stage four - getting back together. If you've worked all the way through stage three without jumping, you'll be in a good position to build a stronger, NEW, relationship with your ex if after all your conversations, you're sure that's still what you want. Of course there will still be bumps in the road - but hopefully by talking through the causes of one breakup, you'll be better at talking things out before they hit the wall again.
And always keep in mind - especially when it's them that's done the breaking up - they will be much more confident if they have to work a little to get you back - nobody wants a doormat they can take for granted, the things we invest some effort into, the things we work for, are the things we value the most.

Big Eee Zee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
absolutley brilliant.

Its widely known, but very nice to see it all laid out properly in one place.

Someone sticky this for all the guys in here complaining about how to get "her" back.

drummer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
With all the time and effort put into getting her back (and it is lots of both) you need to really question if she is worth it.

alan83

Reaction score
Time frame?

What do you guys think is the general timeframe for these steps?

I was dumped about two months ago - then did about 5 weeks no contact, and then she started leaving me retarded comments and stuff. I don't know if she's just psycho and wants the satisfaction of hearing that I miss her, or is she's just in stage two of the stages...

drummer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In the one I have experience with I was dumped in late October, didn't talk until late April of the following year, and back together in June/ July. The thing is, it is still complicated, but it is getting a lot better.
I thought mine was psycho and wanted to hear I missed her... but I didn't give her tha (you can't ever give them that)
Form the short bit I know, it sounds like she is in stage 2, because the old relationship hasn't been brought up yet.

alan83

Reaction score
Drummer, what were the circumstances of the breakup? why'd she dump you? and what were you doing for the 6 months in-between? 6 months is a long time, did you date other people or what? It's been 2 months for me, but I certainly hope by the time 6 months come around I'll have honestly moved on. I hope.

My girl dumped me for "lack of chemistry" but then seemed jealous when she saw me out with another girl and has been occasionally contacting me. I'd like to think she misses me and wants me back, but I've learned that girls can be crazy. If a guy acts like she does, it means the guy is interested. But since she's doing it, she could just want to play mind games with me.

donpepot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Big Eee Zee said:
absolutley brilliant.

Its widely known, but very nice to see it all laid out properly in one place.

Someone sticky this for all the guys in here complaining about how to get "her" back.
yah i agree.. i noticed that there are dozens of guys been comlaining and pleading for help especially this summer..

so i just laid it out in proper form so evryone can read it and easy to find and be handy for them somday..

drummer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It wasn't too bad, I said some sh!t that I definately shouldn't have and learned that girls will tell other girls EVERYTHING you say, even if they promise not to... That pretty much crippled us. So it really didn't end on good terms.
In that 6 months I didn't really care about other girls, I flirted a bunch, but it was the 3rd year at the same school with the same people, so no one new.
I think the 10 days to 4 weeks is a little short, but if you can pull it off...

thekhris

Don Juan
Reaction score
well this tread is good..but im afraid your putting yourself to friendzone..its littlle bit risky..

thsre is a fine line between being friendly to encourage their contact and be friends so they can use you so they cant suffer on their emotional shaking of break up..

Kourt

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wow, best post I've read since I got back, Bible?

(I dont intend to get back with the ex still, I just thought the procedure was written very well and was simply amazing)

thekhris

Don Juan
Reaction score
one thing that is guaranteed to NOT get your ex back is to beg them, or keep calling them and trying to get them back. That is guaranteed to push her away. If you want another chance, then maybe have a talk with her and ask her why she wanted to break up and ask her if theres anything you could've done to change. If she says its too late and refuses to give you another chance, then you'll need to back off and let her go because doing anything else is guaranteed to push her completely away. Now is the time to think about why you two broke up and the part you played in the break up and how you can change. And give her space, if she decides she wants you back, she'll come back to you, especially if you back off and leave you alone. People always want what they can't have. Unless she knows its over and wants it that way, in which case ,its better to just leave her alone, because it's futile and trying to get her back will only cause you more pain. Good luck

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's curious but true that the best strategy for getting someone back is the "do nothing" strategy. Let her sit it out and rot in her own self-inflicted emotional isolation. She may find someone who can replace the feelings you gave her (temporarily), but when he's gone, who will she think of? You. Because you gave her MORE of those feelings and spent MORE time with her.

Man, I wish you had written this post in August of last year. My ex called me up to make sure I hadn't died in Hurricane Katrina (wtf) after about 3 months of no contact with me. Even though I was nowhere near the area Katrina devastated.
I took this as an invitation to tell her how much I missed her and wanted her to be a part of my life. Bad move. We've had several arguements since then and I just pushed her further and further away. She pretty much hates me now. Awesome.

Btw, great post.

donpepot

Don Juan
Reaction score
why woman leave men?

When a woman leaves a man, it's always because of one
single reason - a lack of attraction.

It's not because she has found a new man. It's not
because she doesn't trust her boyfriend or husband anymore.
It's not because she thinks he is "too good for her."

These are all EXCUSES that women use. The REAL reason
for any woman to breakup with her lover is due to a LACK of
ATTRACTION. Always.

I want you to imagine a balance scale in front of you.
On one side is whatever problem your relationship is facing.
On the other side is a woman's attraction for you. If the
attraction is greater than the negative forces, she'll stay
with you. Otherwise, she's leave you in a heartbeat. It's
as simple as that.

Using this model, you can see how attraction is ALWAYS
the underlying force that makes or breaks a relationship. If
the attraction is high...

1) She won't leave you because you've made a tiny
mistake. ("Mistakes" are just "excuses" for a woman to
breakup with a man!) Even if you do make a mistake, if
the attraction is great enough, she will forgive you.

2) She won't think you're "too good for her."

3) She won't choose her family, culture, or religion
over you.

4) She won't fight with you everyday.

And the list goes on and on...

In short, if the attraction is strong, the
chances of a woman staying in a relationship with you will
be MUCH higher. Heck, if she likes you enough, you won't be
able to pry her off with a crowbar. This is EXCATLY why
most men are DEAD WRONG when it comes to fixing their
relationships. They fight and beg and promise to "change
themselves"...when the women they love is really NOT leaving
them JUST because of whatever problem the relationship is
facing...but because of a lack of attraction.

Let's put it this way:

The "reasons" for the breakup are merely the
"symptoms"...the UNDERLYING cause is ALWAYS a lack of
attraction, get it?

So...how do you keep the attraction high?

insanity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how to keep the attraction?
if you have been in a relationship, the more busy you are, the more wanted you'll be. it's a great post, but it's as simple as him saying, i withdrew my attention from her and she came coming back to me. they all come back...they always do.

no matter what tactics you have to getting back with them, you'll just end up at square 1 again, dumped or the famous woman tactic i'll use you till i find somebody better. realize they haven't met anyone better yet. thats why they are back in your presence. don't be played!

thekhris

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here are four strategies that
never work – yet people always try:
Which these strategies are you trying right now?
1. The first is to give them reassurance. “I've changed. I won't be controlling anymore. I won't lie to you anymore. I won't have another affair,” and so forth. The efforts to give them reassurance. This almost never works.

2. The second strategy is to tell them over and over again, “I love you.” That never works.
3. The third strategy is arguing, reasoning, trying to talk them into feeling different or doing different. That never works.
Always agree.

If you talk about where they are wrong, they become more wrong. And if you talk about where they are right, they immediately become less wrong.

See, most people don't know that if you agree and sound sincere to the other person, do not defend yourself, do not explain yourself, they will defend you.

They will reverse their position.

Amazing!

It works like magic!

A person says, “You know, I want a divorce.”

“I understand. I agree.”

It looks you're moving faster toward a divorce, but you're getting at the roots of why they want a divorce. they want a divorce because you're always disagreeing with them.

They do not want a divorce from somebody who's always pleasant and is always seeing their side and always agreeing with them.

That's not the person they're pulling away from.

They're pulling away from the person who disagrees with them.

People don't want to be married to somebody who's holding a gun on them.

“You owe me love because we're married. You've got to love me because we're married.”

No, no. You've got to get rid of the hostility before their good feelings can show. And their hostility may seem to you like it's totally independent of anything that you do.
No!

You are supporting their negativism by your attitude of needing and pressuring and whining and complaining, and trying to argue for your way.

Just enthusiastically see it their way.

You're happy to do whatever they want.

Wow! That takes the props totally out from under their hostility. And so we want to continue this attitude.

You are acting secure now.

When you say, “You're the only one that I can love, you're the only one that I can be happy with, you're the only one,” you're really saying, “I'm a pea-brain. I can't really see that the world is full of beautiful women or good looking men. I can't see that. I don't have any confidence at all. Don't you want me?”

No, they don't.

“I have no self-esteem, no nothing. Don't you want me?”

And the answer is no.

4. Pessimism. We become addicted to our pessimism.

I once had a man say to me, “I know I can't win. You don't know my wife. She's very stubborn. She never changes her mind."

I say, “Never? About anything?”

“Well, maybe about minor things, but not things this important.”

I said, “Well, I think it's about something this important is precisely what she has changed her mind about. She originally said she was going to stay with you and love you forever. And now, she can't stand you. So obviously, she's changed her mind. So obviously, she does change her mind.”

But people fall in love with pessimism. That's one of the strategies that never work...but people always try them! Now, here are...
Three Things You Can
Start Doing Right Away To
Turn The Tide In Your Favor...
When one person is wanting a divorce or is pulling away, and the other one doesn't want it, there is a clash of wills.

There is tension.

There is stress.

So I've discovered the psychology of applying the jujitsu wrestling technique, where the wrestler uses the strength, energy and weight of his opponent to their own advantage, and to the disadvantage of their opponent.

We cannot get to the good feelings of your wife, husband or lover. We cannot get to those good feelings as long as this war is going on, as long as you communicate to them that you want something different from what they want.

I remember years ago, when I was using hypnosis. A woman was lying on the couch and I was suggesting muscle-relaxing all over.

And then I was doing the deepening and testing process of “your right hand and your right arm are getting light, like a feather.” After suggesting that for about five minutes, at the most ten minutes, the person's hand always begins to float upward because they're giving in to their imagination and following the suggestion.

This woman's hand didn't move at all after ten or fifteen minutes. So I said, “Are you feeling anything in your right hand and right arm?”

She said in a very relaxed, almost sleepy voice, “Yes. My right hand and my right arm are getting heavier and heavier.”

See, the opposite of what I suggested.

So I said, “Good. Your right hand and right arm are getting heavier and heavier. Heavier and heavier.” And I kept on that way.

In about two or three minutes, her hand was floating up in the air. And of course, this is what psychologists call negative suggestibility.

When the other person is pulling away from you or wanting a divorce or wanting separation, they are almost automatically on the opposite side of any fence that they perceive you as being on.

So use the jujitsu. Go with them.

Now here are three elements, three ideas, three strategies, all under the heading of the jujitsu technique.

1. Stop pressuring, stop criticizing, stop complaining, stop whining.

2. Agree with anything your mate says or does. Put a good name on it. Agree with their negative feelings.

You see, when one partner has a closed mind and is divorcing the other, they are in love with their negative feelings. So they put their negative feelings in charge of the door to their mind. And when you try to reason with them, you're telling them that their negative feelings are wrong. That causes their negative feelings to lock the door tighter.

Agree with their negative feelings – whatever they are.

“Yes, this relationship is hopeless.”

“Yes, you will never be able to trust me. That's exactly correct.”

Do not defend yourself.

Just agree, sound sincere, and shut up.

3. Act perfectly happy about everything as it is.

The status quo – as it is. Act perfectly happy. Enjoy your space. Enjoy your freedom. Tell them that they are correct – that you all were getting too serious too fast – or whatever their interpretation is that they've given to you. Agree with it, and act happy about whatever it is that they want.

This uses jujitsu, and it always works.

Now, you can't do this for a week or a day or a month, and then switch back over to the old pressuring self. It's not going to work for you. And you can't do it partly in one part of the conversation and then slip back to explaining yourself about what you want and why you did what you did.

You've got to practice consistency with this. No pressure at all.

Now, this does not mean no contact.

If you're separated, you can call and say hi, do small talk and happy talk. Small talk. Happy talk.

You and professionals encourage, generally speaking, that you've got to do serious talk.

Serious talk hurts the relationship most of the time.

Small talk, happy talk, friendly talk. Make it brief.

You can call. They will not feel pressured if you do that kind of talk or stick to practical things.

“When do you want me to pick the kids up?”

Or, “Do you want me to bring the check by or do you want me to mail it?”

These strategies work immediately to reduce the feeling that there is a clash of wills.

Her negative or his negative attitudes towards you are being supported by you communicating what you want.

Every time you say to them, “But, I love you,” you are saying, “but I want something different than what you want. You want to pull away, but I want you to come closer. I don't really care what you want. It's what I want that's important.”

Lots of times men tell their wives, “I've changed. I've changed. Let's get back together. I've changed.”

I tell the husbands that “Every time you say, ‘I've changed,' you're communicating to her that you have not changed.”

“Really? Why is that? How is that? I don't understand that.”

“Of course, you don't understand. But what's your motivation? Why are you telling him or her how you've changed? What's your purpose? Isn't it to get your way?”

“Yeah, I want her back.”

“That's your way. It's not her way, right now. She said she may consider it later, maybe, but not right now. And every time you say, ‘I've changed,' you're saying, ‘Give me my way! Give me my way! Give me my way! What I want is more important than what you want. I don't give a hoot what you want.”

And subconsciously, she says, “He hasn't changed. He's still the neurotic, selfish, pressuring guy he always was. There's no way I'm going to go back to him, or feel positive to him as long as he is this way.”

Agree with them, quickly.

Why?

Because it saves your nerves. Saves your pride. Saves your energy. And you end up getting your way, much more than arguing or rebelling or disagreeing or pressuring.

If you want to win somebody back, the worst thing you can do is disagree with them. Never do it!

sexy_kuta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow

im very impressed
imma use this, definainty.. actually i was looking for something Like this, you're the man
thhanks guy

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ow I thought this thread was about dumping a girl.
I'm outta here ;)