Don't have a licence for car...no fun?

mothballs

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
15 grand a year? :crackup: You act like people can't control the cost of a car... I paid $6k for my car and have spent about $3k on maintenance and my insurance is $498 a year... comes out to about $2k a year I spent since I bought it. What is this talk about having to choose between a pad and a car at 24 anyway... you should be coming out of college with enough earning potential to pay for both plus some by that age.

MisterMcGee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if you have joint insurance, or realllllly crappy insurance, but Insurance for me is 7 grand a year. A 500$ a year insurance is unheard of where I live (Canada).

And I don't think one should be assuming "strong earning potential right out of college" in this economic climate.

Last edited:

Captain Harlock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
6k on insurance? That's really expensive. Over here it's less than 100 euros per month I believe, for a car. I pay 20 euros every month on insurance for my bike.

MisterMcGee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, its expensive. If you're 16-24 that's how much it is where I live (Ontario, to be more precise).

Clearly if you have dirt cheap insurance, then get a car. But maybe seeing how expensive my insurance is will enlighten some of you naysayers to my situation - driving in my case is expensive.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a license, but not a car. I'm a student living in the city, though, so not having a car makes absolutely no difference.

mothballs

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
MisterMcGee said:
Yes, its expensive. If you're 16-24 that's how much it is where I live (Ontario, to be more precise).

Clearly if you have dirt cheap insurance, then get a car. But maybe seeing how expensive my insurance is will enlighten some of you naysayers to my situation - driving in my case is expensive.
Well your situation doesn't at all apply to the US... worst case somebody might be paying $3k a year here if they have a real ****ty record... $1000-$1500 is pretty common for the 18-25 crowd... and in my case, being outside of that age bracket and having a near perfect record it's dirt cheap.