Does anyone have a sixpack?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in good shape, but nowhere near to having a sixpack. It's a goal of mine. I still have too much baby fat around the waist, though I'm not chunky by any mean. I'm 5'9" and 185lbs. Lift weights 3x a week. I do martial arts and a lot of cycling. My diet is probably average. Not the best, not the worst, I try to eat Spinach salads and fresh fruits and such, but I also enjoy eating Pringles and candy too.

What's some good advice for thinning that baby fat around my stomach so I can get that six pack to come out?

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's your body fat percentage? I believe that you need around 8% to have a visible six pack.

As for actually getting one; you will need a diet overhaul.

As for me, I'm nowhere close to getting one. I'm trying to bulk and going for a 6-pack at the same time just isn't possible.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am 5'10" and near 185 as well, similar to you. I do crossfit and play sports combined 5 times per week, but thanks to my very average diet, I will not break through into 6 pack region. I just can't give up the good parts of life :)

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Getting a 6-pack is all about dieting, rather than exercise. Which is why I will never have one. That slab of fat over my abs bugs me, too, but not enough to actually diet.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joshski said:
I have a somewhat visible six pack. :D

(5'9 - 130 lbs. i play basketball + soccer)
5'9 and 130 lbs :eek:

That's really thin. I'm 5'6 and 154 and trying to gain more.

Do you know your BF percentage?

Irs88

Don Juan
Reaction score
5 9' 130 lbs ahh.

I am 5 7-8' 153 lbs. trying to get to 160 lbs with a 6 pack.

How is your diet? are most of ur carbs(if not all) from starchy stuff like veges and whole wheat? Make sure you eat all ur simple carbs earlier in the day. None before 6 hours or so of sleeping(simpple carbs). Eat a lot of whole wheat stuff. Eat NATURAL stuff. ditch the processed crap sold in supermarkets. Most of that doesn't get used properly and gets turned into fat.

Track your bodyfat. Do longer cardio sessions(20+ minutes, after that time is when you START burning fat) or try HIIT.

Have you considered supplements like Lipo 6 or Hydroycut. All that stuff works as long as your diet is 100% good and are running and lifting regularly. If not at least make sure u are taking a good multivitamin and green tea extract pills. Drink plenty of water...get lots of sleep.....hmm...i'll leave it at that.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
What's your body fat percentage? I believe that you need around 8% to have a visible six pack.

As for actually getting one; you will need a diet overhaul.

As for me, I'm nowhere close to getting one. I'm trying to bulk and going for a 6-pack at the same time just isn't possible.
You know what, I'm not sure. I'll have to get ahold of some calipers and find out. The thing is, my body fat is not evenly distributed. I have very little body fat below the waist and most of it seems to collect on my midsection. If I had to guess, I'd probably say around 15%, but I dunno.

Joshski

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
5'9 and 130 lbs :eek:

That's really thin. I'm 5'6 and 154 and trying to gain more.

Do you know your BF percentage?
I've always been thin. (Im 15 :p)

How would I calculate my BF (which I assume is body fat) percentage?

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A fairly easy to find out your BF is to use an electronic scale that also tells you your BF. They aren't that expensive and pretty accurate. Or if your cheap you could probably use one at a store assuming it has batteries inside.

Ah being 15 makes your weight make more sense. I was 120 till I graduated H.S. now it's almost 10 years later and I'm 30 lbs heavier.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abs are made in the kitchen (and on the treadmill).

At 41, I weigh 175-180lbs, and I fluctuate between a 4-pack and a 6-pack depending on my training at the time. At 45, Mrs. Tomassi has year-round ab definition and can flex a 6 pack (when she's not on the rag). Even Bebé Tomassi has abs from her gymnastics training, heheh,..

snackwitch

Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
I'm in good shape, but nowhere near to having a sixpack. It's a goal of mine. I still have too much baby fat around the waist, though I'm not chunky by any mean. I'm 5'9" and 185lbs. Lift weights 3x a week. I do martial arts and a lot of cycling. My diet is probably average. Not the best, not the worst, I try to eat Spinach salads and fresh fruits and such, but I also enjoy eating Pringles and candy too.

What's some good advice for thinning that baby fat around my stomach so I can get that six pack to come out?

sorry cant spot reduce... I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm between 5'8" and 5'9" and I weigh 170 lbs, dont have a six pack. Working on it, I'm between 15-16% bodyfat. You need 10% or lower body fat for ab definition to show. You should measure yourself with calipers.

Also don't listen to this guys, you do need exercise (namely weight training) for there to be ab definition if you want something other than just a flat stomach. Forget basic crunches, you need to do captains chair, windmills, exercise ball crunches, bicycle crunches, turkish getups, reverse crunches, other exercises that actually work the abs. Forget the abdominator or whatever gimmicky machines. Heavy strength training also works your abs (as stabilizer muslces), for example in squat, deadlift, etc and kickstarts your metabolism for muscle growth.

Also unfortunately your fat will be lost in the order that it was put on, and usually the belly and love handles are the lost places to lose fat(I know that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear).

Otherwise dont give up, check out strength training and bodybuilding forums on the net for more info. I particularly like exrx.net. I can give you some more tips, but this is a topic that is best brought up on an fitness oriented forum.

RFish

Don Juan
Reaction score
piranha45 said:
Getting a 6-pack is all about dieting, rather than exercise. Which is why I will never have one. That slab of fat over my abs bugs me, too, but not enough to actually diet.

That is a very wrong concept. You need both exercise and dieting. Most people would think that they can get packs with just pure ab exercise without proper dieting. That is wrong.

And I saw someone mentioned 8% for it to appear. Yes it is. 6-8 to be exact.

All of you guys have that pack, everyone. Just the body fat is too high for it to appear.

For starters if you are really keen on getting it wake up early for 1 hour aerobic exercise, do Long Slow Distance. and do 1 hour at evening.

It takes alot of determination and you need proper food as well.

Since this is not a health forum I won't go into details. Read up on books they are pretty good.

U

user43770

To put it simply: eat meat and vegetables and cut out alcohol.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
To put it simply: eat meat and vegetables and cut out alcohol.
Too late, had a few sweet potato pancakes this morning. Mmmmmmmm, delicioso!!!

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
way to blow it speakeasy, ull never get a sixpack now.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rollo aren't you like 6'1?

yes abs are made in kitchen.

everyone is basically right. you can't spot reduce. your body does lose it in the reverse order it is stored. the good thing about that is, by the time you get a 6 pack, you already ahve the square jaw goin for you, your dont' have a huge ass...

pepole get bent up over the 6 pack. the 6 pack is nothing more than a boiling point of what is a great body.

When is tarted losing weight, women started noticing at 180. By 170 I was getting double takesa nd by 165 I was the ****. and I didn't get a 6 pack until i was in my 150's. That was pre muscle. I got off the scale yesterday and I'm 175 and I've never been this BIG in my life. I dont' know my exact body fat, it's low, I'm a size 31 jeans and I have a 6 pack.

if you can stay disipline th e weight melts like butter. find healthy foods you like and rock on. I like honey bunches of oats. Love it actually. I love bananas, salami and baked chicken and strawberry banana smoothies. my diet revolves around that for the most part and has for 4 years now.