Do you guys know how to dress WELL?

moneyisking

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the saying "when you look good, you feel good" is somewhat true in its own sense. As someone who mostly wears t-shirt and jeans, I do sense a different look from females when I wear button downs tucked in; also it's a plus because dudes will think you're trust-worthy, professional guy instead of a highschool kid. As proof, I get direct compliments from chicks like "you look cute and sexy", etc when I dress up right sometimes.

It's kind of shallow, but it's inevitable that human beings judge people based on their clothes; hence the term "present yourself with your best self".

But unfortunately, I suck minotaur balls when it comes to fashion and styling. I am sure there was a time when you dressed real nice, not only would people respond differently to you, but more importantly, you would feel 100% different about yourself, thus equaling in better game; at least that was the case for me. When I looked super good, I felt good, and I felt real confident. Right now, I enjoy wearing white plane tshirt under a good button down.

So can some of you men of style give me some tips on style and clothes? I personally think that style and knowing how to look good is very important thing. I am sure if Versace and fruit of loom had personalities, Versace would pull hos left and right. And if you claim that you dress like a hobo but still pull girls, well good for you sir.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time on my clothing choices, and to be honest, probably spend more time at malls than most chicks I know. I buy a lot online, also, as I know some sites that have ridiculously good deals. My guy friends call me a woman all of the time for it, but I wear what I like, and chicks definitely notice.

You do need to spend $$$ for quality. Brand name clothing is definitely NOT just a name! I can't stress that enough. I used to think a pair of $200 jeans were so pointless. I couldn't have been more wrong. The fit of designer brand clothing is incomparable, and fit has just as much to do with looking good as the colors/designs do.

It would be really difficult to just spit out clothing and style advice here, but I love this stuff and you are more than welcome to message me and ask specific questions.

One point to make, though. Don't dress nicely just to pull girls. Even though it may help, it's a big expense to start dressing better. If you are simply doing it for girls, you will be better off finding other ways to better yourself and saving the money. I wear what I wear because I like it, and I feel good in it. Yes, that translates to more confidence around girls, but that is a secondary motivation.

.rattlebg

Don Juan
Reaction score
this really aint the most complicated thing once you know what you want to wear. just make sure the clothes you buy are slim.. slim fitting shirts and jackets, etc. really make anyones figure look way better. id say stick with slim fitting dress shirts, t shirts, jeans, and also shoes.. kinda like puma ones.

and when it comes to colours and all that, its all really one's preference as long as everything matches reasonably.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, I should have asked this first. What exactly do you mean by "dress well"? Do you simply mean "wearing any button-down instead of a white t-shirt"? Or do you mean buying high-end designer brand clothes?

MisterD

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I wear t-shirts and jeans all the time, unless I have to dress up for some reason in which I go GQ and really go all out. But t-shirts and jeans can get you far as well.

It's all about the fit. I wear black or white v-necks that fit nice, they give me a nice v-shape and show off my arms. I don't wear baggy, sloppy shirts. The same for jeans. Not saggy, ghetto jeans, or questionably tight fitting jeans. Regular fitting jeans. Actually buying a pair of jeans that fits your body right is probably the hardest thing for me to do. Articles are written all the time in both GQ and Esquire on how to wear the right denim.

Expensive, designer clothes are no doubt higher quality, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, however, if you don't know *how* to wear the clothes, it won't make a difference. Fit is more important than anything else.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty eclectic...or weird...when it comes to dressing. Alot of pearl clasp cowboy shirts, dark jeans, cool belts and cowboy boots. When I dress up I often wear guayabara shirts, d!ckies, and two-tone shoes. I guess growing up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood and living on a ranch in Texas you get a little confused. Whether this is dressing well or not is all in the eye of the beholder.

http://www.primermagazine.com/category/spend

I think they show a lot of simple looks that are easy to put together. Take a look and see how to layer your clothes and turn them into a look.

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell your girls to stop wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops and maybe I will give a damn about how I dress in America. Actually, I won't. I don't in Russian, Ukraine, or Latvia and I never will in America. Fashion is for girls, AND for guys who like younger guys. Not for normal heterosexual males. Video games, booze, and girls are what you should be concerned with.

http://cs10822.userapi.com/v10822381/1b47/v7l4qhc0rcA.jpg
Typical Video Game competition in Russian speaking world. She would be courtside at a Lakers' game if she was in America. Instead she is among typical Russian males under 45 years of age (nerds who plays FIFA 12). FIFA 12 rules and Madden sucks! Grrrrrr.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After going out for three years and studying game since I was 16, I've come to the conclusion of lover vs. provider:

Lover

The "lover" in is the guy who dresses in the more casual, yet cool clothes. Flip flops, cool tshirt, board shorts. Whatever. These guys are the "cool" guys, and they get the girls that are looking for one night stands or recreational sex.

Provider

These guys dress well, and tend to attract women who are looking to settle down and marry. Button up shirts, expensive jeans/slacks, nice shoes.

Me and my buddy had a discussion about this, and realized that what works in one region does not necessarily work in another.

Then again, I've been dressing like a Provider for so long that dressing like a Lover has opened a new world for me. Or maybe I'm about to realize that it doesn't matter what I wear as much as how confident and assertive I am.

Currently my style is a pair of black Allen Edmond shoes, Rock & Republic jeans, a D&G Sand Piper wristwatch, and a simple black CK tshirt, either with a crew neck or v-neck. If I wear a button up shirt I'll make sure it's not ironed and dress it down with a simple pair of chuck taylors so I'm not "trying too hard". And I realized one day that Johnny Knoxville has a really cool style that blends "lover" and "provider". I think that blend might even be called "fun".

THUPER

Last edited:

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
I've been watching Danger Man AKA Secret Agent Man (1960, Patrick McGoohan).

That man knew how to dress, and his style was classic so it still pertains.

That show's theme song also had some words to live by:

"Beware of pretty faces that you find.
A pretty face can hide an evil mind.
Oh, be careful what you say, You'll give yourself away.
Odds are you won't live to see tomorrow."

-Johnny Rivers

OC Speedball

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't wear anything from Hollister, American Eagle, Ed Hardy, Affliction, or Abercrombie.

Wear something that actually conveys your personality and sets you apart.

/thread

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Jos A Bank.

Get a blue blazer, wool slacks with brace buttons, some shirts that take collar points, cuff-links, and braces (suspenders). You also want a good pair of well-shined shoes. The most gorgeous women will literally fall over.

JCballin88

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been trying to upgrade my wardrobe, but it's tough on my current pathetic monthly budget.

Usually you can spot me in cargo shorts with a baggy, stretched out work-issued polo shirt. Unfortunately these do nothing to show my improving physique since I'm hitting the gym hard these days.

When I'm not working and want to go out, I usually wear nice plaid shorts with a matching T. It's just too damn hot here in FL to wear pants for any reason.

moneyisking

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Pdub75: thanks a lot for your willingness to help. I appreciate it. I do like to dress better because I am, you know, "getting older" and personally, I think a man should develop his best presentation as he grows, and that part incorporates not only personality and integrity, but also a sick style; think about George Clooney or Clint Eastwood minus the part they are actors". I like to dress better because I like to feel good. I can't explain the psychological 101 about why dressing well makes people feel good but you get the point. It also helps with girls, so what a plus! And for your question from the 2nd post, it doesn't have to be dress-up, professional like attire. You know if a man dresses right if you see one right? He could be in his jeans and tshirt or full suit, but you know one when you see one; honestly I think Vice's clothing style seems casually well styled. By the way, where can I buy some good pair of jeans (not for $200 though)?

@Mister D: I agree with you. Fit is absolutely important aspect of clothes. And for my sake, I also lack the symphony of hues in my style, so I most of times end up buying college-kid like clothes. But yes, fit is very important.

@Fairshake: awesome, it has been bookmarked. I dig most of the styles.

@Bigjimbo: if you're a Russian, you don't need anything to pull chicks lol. Personally, Russians are one of the sons of beaches with the biggest balls in the world I have seen so far. I admire where the slavs get their audacity and crazyness, although sometimes they turn into rudeness and violence. Non-the less, it's a country where Emelianenko and Vladmir Putin came from, so I give it a respect.

@Vice: according to you, I am leaning more towards provider type. But man, I dig the style that you presented. I googled some of what you listed and the style seems pretty casual overall, but still gives a good style. Thanks for the tip.

@Bigneil: I googled that and he looks pretty much like old James Bond. I live in a warm a$$ climate of Texas, so Jos Bank will not only drain my bank, but also drench my butt with sweat; plus I am still going to university, studying for nursing, so most occasions, look for casual style. But I do need to get some real nice shoes like you said. I am looking into loafers or mocassins or just regular good ole sneakers. I had a weird resistance to wearing shiny shoes to denim, but it's done, so I should look for a dress up shoes that has blend of casual-ness.

@JCallin: I live in Texas, so I know what you mean. Also money is pretty limiting factor for most of us too.

SoSuave666

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dress for the occasion, but always in your own style. Find a style that works best for you and you will be confident and it will radiate. If you like skinny clothing, get your a$$ fit and wear some skinny clothing. If you want some baggy clothes, go for it. If you don't think jeans and a t-shirt can get the job done, just look at James Dean. If you don't think Hawaiian shirts and sunglasses can work, see tyler durden. Hell, if you don't think a robe can work, see "the dude" from The Big Lebowski. These may not be the best examples, but the one thing they all have in common is that the style fits the person. Do some facial grooming and body grooming first, then pick your style man. It's all up to you. The best part about your body is that it's YOURS and you can have your own distinct style that no one else can replicate. Just find it.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
moneyisking said:
@Pdub75: thanks a lot for your willingness to help. I appreciate it. I do like to dress better because I am, you know, "getting older" and personally, I think a man should develop his best presentation as he grows, and that part incorporates not only personality and integrity, but also a sick style; think about George Clooney or Clint Eastwood minus the part they are actors". I like to dress better because I like to feel good. I can't explain the psychological 101 about why dressing well makes people feel good but you get the point. It also helps with girls, so what a plus! And for your question from the 2nd post, it doesn't have to be dress-up, professional like attire. You know if a man dresses right if you see one right? He could be in his jeans and tshirt or full suit, but you know one when you see one; honestly I think Vice's clothing style seems casually well styled. By the way, where can I buy some good pair of jeans (not for $200 though)?
Good jeans for cheaper prices. Nordstrom Rack is your friend. I personally love True Religion and Seven for All Mankind jeans. TRs will run you $200-$325 at their store, but you can go to Nordstrom Rack and get last year's style for $100-$130. Sevens are sometimes even cheaper there. They also carry Diesel which are pretty good. Aside from that, there are some really good websites that often have jeans. Links are below (and yes, I used referral links. Gives me like $25 if you ever buy something. No pressure! haha). All of these sites have daily deals. They are always changing, so you gotta watch for what you are looking for.

HauteLook - I've bought a lot of stuff from here. Not the fastest shipping, but I like their deals.

Ideeli - Recently have some really good deals. Right now they have $140 Coogi button-downs for $40. I have 3 coming my way!

Century 21 - They have about 6 physical stores around New York, where I originally bought some stuff. They are like Nordstrom Rack on steroids. All designer clothes for incredible prices. Highly recommend them to anyone in the NY area that doesn't already go there. Then I found out they have a website. Like the others, their site only has rotating deals. I recently bought some shoes from there. They ship very quickly, and have an excellent return policy. They actually refund your money and shipping (I believe) where the other stores only offer site credit, or refund minus shipping.

RueLaLa - This site focuses more on women, and other non-clothing deals, but they do have some good mens deals. They have a great shipping policy: Pay $9.99 once, and that covers your shipping for the next 30 days, no matter how much you order.

These sites should also help you see some different styles out there. Plus, it's always helpful to see what they match things with to get ideas for yourself. A lot of the stuff on these sites are way too "out there" for me, and make me seriously sit there and say "wtf is he wearing??" but when you find something you like, I doubt you will find a better price anywhere.

Hope this helps, and like I said, feel free to message me.

moneyisking

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@PDubb: Thanks. By the way, I researched a bit online and it says that big department stores like sears, JC penny, Dillards, etc are good places to go for clothes; in my opinion, it's good to go buy up-class department stores and I think nordstrom is kind of high up there which i like. Not the fan of online shopping since I am newbie at clothes so I like to wear first to know I like it. But anyways thanks for the help so far!

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just make sure you go to Nordstrom Rack, not Nordstrom, if you want the inexpensive stuff.

And as far as trying things on goes, I completely get that. But, you will find that once you try enough things on, you know what you like and how things fit. Eventually you may want to check out sites because you can find many brands you won't find anywhere around you. Most good designers have a standard fit, so once you know your size, you are pretty safe with it. And the sites tell you if they run big, run small, or fit to size.

Jeans, I agree moreso about trying on. Different jeans designers have very different fits. I have 3 different sizes of jeans from about 5 different designers, and they all fit me about the same. That can get frustrating!

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love jewelry, skinny jeans and a quart of 5W30 in my hair. I look hot on my moped.

Dress like a man should and don't give a fvck about what others think, even women.

Be who you are, period. Women love a guy who does not conform to fashion or perceived standards. Indiffernence is a turn on.

handle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dig casual buttondowns (oxfords) and wear them a lot. Really depends on your body type because fit is more important than anything else. You want something kind of slim if you're wearing jeans, etc cause otherwise it's going to be baggy at the waist. Formal dress shirts should be avoided for day-to-day, you want something with less lustre, generally.

PrettyBoyAJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I am always suited and booted. Always.

I rarely wear jeans. I'll wear jeans like 2x a month. The nice Levi's one but I definitely try to be different and wear slacks or khakis or other type of pants (green, reddish pink, and navy blue) and occasionally corduroy.

For the shirt I rock it's always a Ralph Lauren shirt. I've gotten over 70 Ralph Lauren shirts (Had a little obsession with when I had my job). All types of different colors and what not. I even got bowties to go with some of the shirts I have. and I also got like 20 pair of different Polo socks. (10 are weird and various colors). Definately top notch stuff for me.

Shoes are always boat shoes or loafers. We don't wear sneakers around here.

I've always wanted to step my game up though and get some Versace and Louis Vuitton. Can't afford it though but one thing I do want is a Louie V belt. Those go for 500$ though. Definitely can't afford that.

I've never been told I couldn't dress. When you look good you feel good!