Do you believe in happiness?

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes.

BBB, is there something you aren't telling us? Remember posts on "I'm Winning" and one of happiness?

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ignorance is bliss.

Named

Don Juan
Reaction score
lol, if a Noob started a post like this flamers would think they'd died and gone to heaven. The power of respect eh?

What ya gettin at Blues?

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know someone will hate me for this... but I am going to do it anyway.

Because I have this unscratchable itch at the moment for an undoubtably useless philosophical debate (not much else going on here) I am going to go ahead and say it...

No...

Omega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lets put it this way: I beleive in Satisfaction.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes.

Read book: The Art of Happiness, by Dalai Lama (and some other guy I can't remember. Read it a long time ago) to learn what it is and how to get it.

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Matrix: Reloaded
I know someone will hate me for this... but I am going to do it anyway.

Because I have this unscratchable itch at the moment for an undoubtably useless philosophical debate (not much else going on here) I am going to go ahead and say it...

No...
You're right. Someone will hate you for it. Not worth the debate, though.

VIVAlasVEGASBaby

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I suppose the most important question is “What is happiness?”

It’s a tough question. There are so many possibilities, so many interpretations. There is no reality outside our own minds, so I guess it comes down to you.

There is no evolutionary purpose “happiness” has in the form humans understand it. It is a construct developed by humans to simply define their lives as being “pleasurable” or “painful”. We can’t even describe happiness. We don’t know what it is, or even how to “get” it. We know nothing of it, yet we so desperately grasp to its existence.

There comes a point when you stop worrying about happiness. It becomes a theory, that you ponder as anyone would, but you stop desiring it. It no longer becomes necessary to fulfill your desires. Maybe its because you are “happy” or maybe it is because you realize that happiness isn’t some sort of end where the sun sets and everything is picture perfect. I don’t really know. All I know is that I could give a damn about happiness now. I don’t worry about whether it exists or not. I’m happy in the sense that I am living a good life, which is enough for me. I don’t think of happiness as some mystifying entity that is beyond my understanding. I suppose I’m “happy” so I don’t worry about whether it exists or not.

To answer your question; in a pure scientific sense, happiness has no physical reason to exist, therefore it cannot exist. On the other side of the coin perception is the most important factor in reality. What is reality? Can anyone tell me the truth about everything? That’s how I’d define reality; the truth. The truth changes. It not only changes, but varies from person to person. Just when you think you have had a glimpse at the “truth” another case appears that completely contradicts your ideas. Truth is objective, humans are not.

Therefore, happiness is simply an oxymoron. People are happy being depressed and stressed. That is a decision they have made whether they are aware of it at a conscious level or not. They claim they are not happy, but we look from a “higher” level of perception and can clearly see that they wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s quite simple. We all go about our lives in our own way. We scrutinize others in an attempt to force ourselves into believing that there is no higher level of reality than the one we are trapped in. This is evident everywhere you look. Everyone thinks that they are right and everyone else is wrong. It’s still nothing more than subjective perceptions.

Happiness is subjective. It should suit you the best way possible. Happiness can even come in the form of unhappiness...
:confused:

Although i know happiness doesn't exist, i have to believe it does. My entire perception of this world would fall apart without it.

The Golden Leaf

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. You have to first determine what you precieve as happiness. To each person the word holds different meaning.

But also a lot of people here beleive in hapiness. I go further in the questino to ask how many have felt hapiness.

I believe in joy and bliss. :p

InsidiousNstinct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Somewhere between the cities of Lost and Found
it's like the old saying goes..one mans junk is another mans prize.

Just depends on what MAKES you HAPPY.

Ever heard of someone describing someone else and their job. "Man he LOVES doing that." Then another person will say "I don't see why I'd hate to do it."

Human prespective......

biblioscholar

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the way

This may sound relegious but it works."u donno what is joy all abt,until u know christ".Just say the sinner's prayer and u will get happiness.If u donno this prayer.say this after me.

"Lord jesus i confess im a sinner and i repent my ways.
I belive u died for me on the cross and risen on the third day.So now plz forgive me of my sin.Amen.

If u had said this u r born again and i garuntee ya 100% happiness.I recommend u to watch "PASSION OF THE CHRIST"movie by mel gibson.Take care.

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This may sound relegious but it works."u donno what is joy all abt,until u know christ".Just say the sinner's prayer and u will get happiness.If u donno this prayer.say this after me.
Saying 1 prayer isn't going to bring anybody happiness. Religion will only bring you happiness if you PRACTICE it on a regular basis.

Superman X

Banned
Reaction score

"Lord jesus i confess im a sinner and i repent my ways.
I belive u died for me on the cross and risen on the third day.So now plz forgive me of my sin.Amen.

If u had said this u r born again and i garuntee ya 100% happiness.I recommend u to watch "PASSION OF THE CHRIST"movie by mel gibson.Take care.
Maybe you should ask Jesus to teach you how to spell.

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe you should ask Jesus to teach you how to spell.
He's indian, so I think his english is pretty damn good. How good's your indian?

Biblioscholar: Stop trying to convert people, evangelists piss me off.

BBB: Go and do something that makes you smile- get laid, lift some weights, pie out hell go tickle a baby if you feel so inclined.
Is this not what we mean by happiness?

P.S. Just for the record I think it's a dumb question, sparking totally pointless debate when we all know the answer and just want to exercise our proverbial mental nut sacks. Probably me most of all. No wait- Matrix most, then maybe me. Regardless, how about something Fun and interesting to talk about?

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brazilian_Blues_Boy
Like what? Like something that brings us happiness?
You **** :)

Anyway, the question is whether or not I beleive in happiness, as stated in plain text. I beleive you are going to be very offensive in your search, Diego, as you're pushing through piles of ****. You want to know why I beleive in happiness, and you'll say whatever it is you can, question whatever you can, until I can prove to you that happiness is worth beleiving in.

Well lets get to it, shall we?

The simple answer is that I do, in fact, beleive that happiness exists. I can tell you that I have experienced it, but that is no use... experience is intangible. I cannot express to you what happiness is, as it is an emotion.

We all have felt fleeting moments of happiness. This is positive hope -- that is to say, hope that is optimistic in nature, and thus leads us to beleive that something worth being happy for is going to occur. When it does, we are usually satisfied -- but not necessarily happy.

Does it exist? I think what you're asking is whether or not a light at the end of the tunnel exists. I haven't been to the end of the tunnel Diego, and when I get there I'll be sure to fill you in. Do I see the light though? Absolutely.

Maybe you just need to take the sunglasses off.

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nex
You're right. Someone will hate you for it. Not worth the debate, though.
Hahaha... I just like to start shit.

P.S. Just for the record I think it's a dumb question, sparking totally pointless debate when we all know the answer and just want to exercise our proverbial mental nut sacks. Probably me most of all. No wait- Matrix most, then maybe me. Regardless, how about something Fun and interesting to talk about?
Essentially... although I would not necessarily say pointless, I just think it is one question that has no real merit for consideration for its obvious subjectivity. Happiness means different things to different people, therefore what I consider happiness, you may consider terrible.