Do something that scares you!

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
This is what truly builds confidence I think. Not your looks, height, IQ or educational level. I think it is a belief in your ability to handle a stressful situation.

I think jumping out of a perfectly good airplane could seriously help with this, but I really have no desire to do it.

Those who have been through any kind of military boot camp (especially the Marines) probably have tons of confidence.

Street_Fighter

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try theater..not acting like with scripts and movies,because if you mess up there are many other 'takes'.But actual theater,where one mistake and you're fawked!

pickupsticks

Reaction score
I think jumping out of a perfectly good airplane could seriously help with this, but I really have no desire to do it.
This really does have a profound effect on your confidence, but it works best if you do it regularly for a while and get to experience some unanticipated freefall suprises. No woman on earth will ever intimidate you again. Unless she is the one packing your chute.

Incog

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The method is overcoming fear. Fearless people are confident.

demonic

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is sound advice, i use to get a MAJOR buzz from approaching girls...i was on a constant high that was...well hard to exsplain...untill i stopped doing it and now i can't/wont? approach atall...

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I sort of had a chance to do that this weekend.

My two friends and I rescued a 7-10 year old boy who was about 25 yards out in the Ocean with his arms flailing. We all went in and got him out since the lifeguards were already gone (7:00pm). Funny thing is, we all had alcohol in our system and I was a little buzzed. If the kid had gone under or taken on water and panicked, I could of been in deep s**t. Anyways, although it was not a real dramatic rescue, it felt good.

benjiprice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Can people give more examples of things that scare them that are actionable? I'm just having trouble finding stuff that scares me. Jumping out of a plane scares me. Roller coasters scared me when I was a kid and I haven't been on one since. So I can face those two, but what else scares me? I can't think of other things beyond illness or death for myself or loved ones.
Don't mean to sound ****y, I'm just not sure what else scares me...

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
benjiprice said:
Can people give more examples of things that scare them that are actionable? I'm just having trouble finding stuff that scares me. Jumping out of a plane scares me. Roller coasters scared me when I was a kid and I haven't been on one since. So I can face those two, but what else scares me? I can't think of other things beyond illness or death for myself or loved ones.
Don't mean to sound ****y, I'm just not sure what else scares me...
I don't think that you necessarily do something that scares you. Something that would give you a similar effect would be to do something that excites you or gives you an enjoyable adrenaline rush, one without a huge amount of fear. Many physical sports provide this.

miniPIMPIN

Banned
Reaction score
demonic said:
This is sound advice, i use to get a MAJOR buzz from approaching girls...i was on a constant high that was...well hard to exsplain...untill i stopped doing it and now i can't/wont? approach atall...
thats what happens to me when i do that.. the buzz is what drives me to approach more..

my advice to u is look up some posts that tell u how to get over approach anxiety.

Good Cat

Don Juan
Reaction score
Being fearless doesn't necessarily transcend into confidence BUT confidence DOES transcend into fearlessness. Knowing what you are capable of is what gives you confidence or lack of. Try learning to do something you never thought you could possibly do and you will increase your confidence exponentially. For me I always wanted to do backflips but couldn't see myself having that ability. Once you've attained the unattainable, then you will have confidence.

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It builds character. It's an amazing feeling when you know you can keep your cool in a situation that makes most people very uncomfortable.

artalexakis

Don Juan
Reaction score
this is very interesting ill have to give this a try. it sounds like a really good tip to me. thanks.:)

PerfectCircle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not a bad post. However, I think doing something like jumping out a airplane will for the most part just make you more confident at jumping out of an airplane (ecsept you wont feel like a *****). To get better with women, you need to go straight to the source.