Do bad grades in school = Failure in the future.

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
kdnash82 said:
Dude... these stats say absolutely nothing about how many CEO's actually have degrees.

As for the poster below you, I'm still working on my multi million dollar company. Once I get off the ground I'll have you send me your resume. Don't expect to have a job if another resume comes across my desk from a person with more experience.

Not to sit here and brag about how much money I make, but for my age, I'm doing pretty damn good. Just imagine how much I'll be making by the time I'm your age.:p Maybe by that time I would have decided to go back to school.
Ummm most of the CEOs you speak of have IVY league MBAs (or at a least top tier school MBA).

I will attempt to local that data.

I hope it works out for you. For most people a 4 year degree and/or graduate degree is the ticket to high earning potential and a great lifestyle. It is not the only way, but perhaps the most reliable way. Other posters have presented their experiences on how the the 20 year veteran, is suppassed by some young buck with a degree and few years of actual work experience.

Their are other highly skilled occupations that can make serious coin like electricians and plumbers. Esp if they own their own company.

I do agree that it important to have that diploma; but the social networking while at the university is equal in value if not the great value

In my field is it even worse than most, a 4 year degree makes you technician, a masters makes you a senior-level technician with your earnings capping at 90-100K. The Doctorate (MD or PhD) is give you the credability as the 'Expert'; essentially required for the upper level management positions and their is no limit on earning potential.

Oh yeah, no one cares about my grades anymore, lol.

Cheers,
RD

ExcelNPrevail

Don Juan
Reaction score
Too me school seems to just focus on "habits" way more than education. By that I mean by having good habits like doing your homework, showing up on time, and making good grades you've established good habits therefore you'll succeed in life. IMO

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ExcelNPrevail said:
Too me school seems to just focus on "habits" way more than education. By that I mean by having good habits like doing your homework, showing up on time, and making good grades you've established good habits therefore you'll succeed in life. IMO
I agree 100%. Its a socialization pattern.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
fuzzx said:
LOL... NO

I failed right through highschool, low grades in college. What am I doing now? I'm a teacher.
Wow, that's great. "I was a dumbass, and now your kids will be too!"

The circle is ever unbroken.

Precursor

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know that people who under perform in high school will tend to have the attitude that "they are too smart for this" or "don't care because it will not matter".

Or Work against the system and think "i will not spend 4+years and money on getting a degree because i'm too good for that and i'm naturally smarter than everyone else"

I don't know what to say to these people. I honestly don't. Everyone should strive for a degree, not making up BS excuses on why they should not.

You shouldn't even have to think about it.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking something along those lines too Gio.. In high school, a couple of my teachers were smart, well educated (from good universities), and it really showed. They taught better and seemed to really care about the subject.

Many others seemed like total idiots, went to the kind of university a grade 6 kid could get into, and made me think school was a waste of time.

With those kinds of teachers, no wonder kids are getting the attitude that grades don't matter.

michaelhctam

Don Juan
Reaction score
SmoothTalker said:
Yeah I was thinking something along those lines too Gio.. In high school, a couple of my teachers were smart, well educated (from good universities), and it really showed. They taught better and seemed to really care about the subject.

Many others seemed like total idiots, went to the kind of university a grade 6 kid could get into, and made me think school was a waste of time.

With those kinds of teachers, no wonder kids are getting the attitude that grades don't matter.
Unfortunitley, my future depends on the latter type of teachers.

I hate my Business Studies teacher, and the students that infest that class.

ream

Reaction score
Hey, could we please continue the discussion. I've registered here, because I liked the subject a lot.

I really like the reply #40 from Demon.

I found this thread, because I googled "why do good students fail in life". It's often the case, unfortunately, because school and the life you are thrown into afterwards are so different.

My opinion on all this: If you are asking yourself this question if the grades matter, then the answer is probably YES, unless you know that the answer is NO. Makes sense?

If you know, that what they are going to teach you in school will only be a waste of time, then don't do it. For example, if you spent your pre college time making movies and you know everything about it, why bother going to film school? It was the case with me actually. I did not learn anything at all. I knew much more than they could teach me and it was such a huge waste of time and money.

If you want to work FOR someone, you need good grades. Why? Because image a 100 applications on the table of your future boss, who is he gonna pick? He is going to throw all B-students into the paper bin. What's next? He has 50 A-applicants on the table, who is he going to pick? For good corporate jobs, you need to stand out

If you DO NOT want to work for someone, then the grades don't matter. If you have great ideas and you can implement them well, then go for it. You will have a chance to earn much much more than you've ever dreamed of. It's less secure. In average, you will have a 70% chance to fail and around 1% to become a millionaire, but 1 person in 100 isn't it great? What a the chances to crack the jack pot in lottery? 1 to 100,000,000?

In a corporate job, you will not have that 1 in 100 chance to earn millions, especially if you have no degree.

It's a different career path you must choose, either you work for someone, or someone else works for you. You choose.

I liked the reply from Demon, because he said that grades don't matter but what you learn does. It's more or less how it is. I as a person do not care about grades, I don't care what one person (teacher) thinks of me, because it will be life that will judge you, but I am very interested in the material. And the reason some good students fail in life is because they suck up to teachers, make pretty faces and smile at a teacher and when they are thrown into life, it's not like that, then, it is all about you and how life treats you.

Great success in life is not related to school or grades, it relates to your passion for what you love. There are tons of videos of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates on youtube of them talking about failure, management, luck and success. I know it's a survivor ship bias to talk about winners and neglecting those who never made it, but you can learn a lot from successful people, they have many things in common.

I hope this discussion will go on =)

Also, great way to understand life better is to learn to play poker (holdem). Luck is such a great factor in life, it's amazing. You need to understand luck well to deal with life better and with the choices you make. Sometimes you make a great choice, but the outcome is bad and you will have to deal with it and then make good choices again regardless of outcome. A great book would be "Fooled by Randomness", the author talks there about Bill Gates too. It's a Wall Street bestseller. I definitely recommend it.

DonaldWanold

Don Juan
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with being a blue collar worker. in my community, a plumber makes more then a doctor (yes, I live in Canada.)