Digestive Tract Health

rioku

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am naturally very skinny so I have been eating a lot (I mean A LOT) of food spread out through out my day, to help with my strength gains. I lose weight and strength fast if I don't eat plenty.

The problem I have noticed is that this can be taxing on my digestive tract on occasion (eg: gastritic episodes) I was wondering if any one of the experienced individuals can offer some advice on how you tackled this issue, and maintained a healthy and robust digestive system, one able to adapt to the rigors of a high calorie diet. One question could be: Are there any supplements you take that specifically address digestive health?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rioku said:
I am naturally very skinny so I have been eating a lot (I mean A LOT) of food spread out through out my day, to help with my strength gains. I lose weight and strength fast if I don't eat plenty.

The problem I have noticed is that this can be taxing on my digestive tract on occasion (eg: gastritic episodes) I was wondering if any one of the experienced individuals can offer some advice on how you tackled this issue, and maintained a healthy and robust digestive system, one able to adapt to the rigors of a high calorie diet. One question could be: Are there any supplements you take that specifically address digestive health?
Give us a sample diet... a lot of the GI issues associated with a high calorie diet can simply be solved by food selection and timing. Its important to have a consistent diet everyday for bulking. So give us a sample and we'll try to help.

rioku

Don Juan
Reaction score
OK... Here's a sample day. It is the staple that I rely on:

1st food intake of the day: typically within 30min. of waking up (~5:30 - 6:00 am)
2 glasses whole milk
4-5 tbsp peanut butter

Breakfast: ~8:00 am
3-egg bacon omlette
1 avocado
1 fruit bowl (pineapple, grapes)

Mid-morning Snack: ~10:30 am
1 serving nuts (macadamia/almonds) OR 1 avocado
2 pieces fruit (banana/orange/apple/pear)
Then I chew on some jerky for a while

Lunch: ~1:30 pm
1 serving steak (keeping it to better quality cuts like rib-eye, t-bone, some tri-tip)
1 large sweet potato/yam OR 2 plantains - cooked with butter/ghee
1 large salad bowl (spinach, bell peppers, kale, mushrooms, sugar snap peas etc.)
1 glass whole milk OR 1 fruit bowl

Afternoon Snack: ~5:00 pm
2 glasses whole milk
4-5 tbsp peanut butter

Dinner: ~8:30 pm
1 serving steak/lamb
2 crowns of broccoli - steamed
1 large sweet potato/yam OR 2 plantains - cooked with plenty of butter/ghee
1 small salad bowl

+ 1 glass whole milk before bed ~9:30pm

++Drink water throughout the day, sometimes a little fruit juice here and there.

rioku

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would say 75% of my food intake in a given month would be like ^this^... Even though there is a lot of fat in my diet, for the most part I feel healthy and energetic, as it is healthy home food. I go to the grocery store (Albertsons) so often, that I now have friends in the produce and meat sections. They give me their employee discount cards every time I go!

I love cooking, and I will make different dishes: soups, stews, chili, roasts, casseroles, stir fry, etc; the above is just a sample day. However, I should say that I absolutely do love my steaks (I do eat the succulent fatty parts as well), adore lamb, and you can see that I do drink quite a bit of milk. I absolutely loathe pork, but am fine with poultry and fish. Very rarely do I eat grains during a self-prepared meal, and when I do, it is usually only rice (don't like bread that much... dries up my mouth).

I keep my heavier meals later in the day when winding down. Since I do my most mentally-demanding work earlier in the day, meals during those early hours are lighter (full stomach makes me sleepy); some fruit and avocados for feeling slightly full.

The other 25% of meals a month are from:
A. Good restaurants such as IHOP, Golden Corral, steakhouses, etc. when I'm out on the town. Such outings turn into feasts and typically occur at night.
B. A quick bite when I'm on the run. Burgers, tacos, etc. from fast food places. Such meals occur during lunchtime but tend to be heavy meals that are gorged down pretty fast.
C. Pizza delivery to my residence, when I'm stuck at home working on projects/assignments, and the food in the fridge has ran out and I don't have time to go out and acquire more. This last option, when I have to resort to it, really gives me some bad digestive cases. I am trying to eventually avoid it all together.​

rioku

Don Juan
Reaction score
Training times are in the morning after 1st food intake of the day, before breakfast. I have only just begun lifting seriously. Until now, CrossFit was it. Heck... Good for metabolic conditioning but look where it got me strength-wise. I am a small skinny weakling.:cry: It's OK.. I tell myself. Take it as it is and move forward.

Now that I'm eating more, I am noticing and feeling some changes in the digestives. Everything seems normal for the most part.

I'm saying minor stuff like (sorry if it's too much information to anyone):
A. More overall flatulence in general.
B.When I get back home from a long day of school and work, as I have been walking around, standing (I work in a lab), riding my bicycle (my only transportation), there is a lot of friction that builds up in the anal skin area. Previously, when I was eating like a bird, this caused no problems. Now, it will sometimes cause dryness and irritation. I have a prescription topical ointment which helps tremendously with that. However, it is still an external symptom of conditions in an internal environment.
C. On and after pizza days, I really get some bad acidity. During this time I drink more water, and am forced to eat less, causing weight/strength loss, putting me a few steps behind again.​

I want to ensure that, in the process of growing stronger, I go about it in a sensible way, giving heed to the needs of my GI tract. I am giving my digestive tract a lot more work to do than I ever have before.

Fuglydude, I understand what you mean by consistency in diet and meal timing. First of all, what do you think about my diet? Too much or not enough of anything? Secondly, in regards to timing, I can say that the times I gave you for my meals on the sample day are not exact (thus the ~). They can vary ±30min. Furthermore, I should say this, but am ashamed at my lack of discipline: I know myself to skip breakfast sometimes. I would say 3 days a week do I do this. On such days, it is because I am in a rush... I would like to be more relaxed in the morning.

nativehealth

Reaction score
Below are specific nutrients that bring relief, reduce inflammation and foster healing to the above mentioned Digestive Issues

Calcium Magnesium - Often referred to as natural muscle relaxants, these minerals may help prevent the spasming of the muscles that comprise the walls of the intestinal tract…and thus reduce the diarrhea and cramping usually associated with IBS. (2 per meal)

B Complex - Because most intestinal problems are often associated with stress, B vitamins are essential for restoring the nutrients that stress depletes. Regulates digestive hormone production. Enhances energy production and nervous system function in cells.

Vitamin E – (ours contains Grapeseed extract - a powerful antioxidant) - Vitamin E has long been considered to be a nutrient that promotes healing … both of inflamed tender tissue as well as sear tissue, often formed as a result of IBS.

Gamma Linolenic Acid - Many IBS conditions are aggravated by inflammation in the tissues in the lower intestines. CLA (gamma linolenic acid) is an essential fatty acid that has properties of being a natural anti-inflammatory. May be used alone or in combination with the omega-3 fatty acid EPA (in 3-to- I ratio of EPA to GLA) if the inflammation persists.

Vitamin C - To strengthen the immune system and promote healing of the tissues. Powerful immune stimulant as well as an anti-oxidant. Virtually every body function benefits from an adequate level of vitamin C.

Acidophilus/ Bifidus - An excellent source of the essential friendly bacteria that are supposed to inhabit the lower intestines. Virtually the only acidophilus/bifidus product that guarantees delivery of 500,000 live microorganisms to the intestines, without being destroyed by the highly acidic environment of the stomach. Restores the natural balance that must exist in the lower intestines to choke out the cancer-causing bacteria as well as Candida yeast overgrowths. None of the products available at health food stores guarantee live delivery of microflora to the intestine. Tests show that many of them do not make it live to your door, much less to your colon. Most of the microflora alive in these products at the time of manufacture are killed off long before they reach the intestine.

Fiber - When the tissues have healed and swelling has been reduced, then slowly reintroduce fiber with any of these gentle, convenient fiber sources. Mix or Tablets

High Quality Multi-vitamin and Multi-mineral Supplement - When diarrhea occurs, food passes through the body so rapidly that it is difficult to absorb nutrients. A multiple vitamin/mineral supplement contains cofactors and coenzymes that enhance protein utilization.

Meal Replacement Product - Lactose Free – Soy or Whey based ProteinMeal Replacement Product - Lactose Free – Soy or Whey based Protein Needed for energy building and repairing damage to cells. Help in blood sugar stabilizing. Provides building blocks for rapid recovery. Prevents irritation from allergens for those with certain forms of colitis.

Digestive health issues respond beautifully to natural approaches.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having the discipline to have a good diet is essentially determined by your ability to plan and prepare your meals ahead of time. If you don't have food readily available you're more than likely to either skip the meal or cheat. Therefore, have meals ready at all times. Recognize when you're running low and cook again. I mass produce my food: I'll cook 6-10 lbs of yams, 5-6 lbs of meat, etc all at once. That way I'm good for the next 3 days. I can get away with cooking twice a week.

Second tip: eat large amounts of good wholesome foods that are high in protein, good fats and good natural source slow release carbs. These foods are the foundation of a bulking diet. Things like beef, lamb and other red meat, chicken, fish, yams, brown rice, oatmeal, eggs, whey powder, cottage cheese, veges, etc are great for getting big.

Supplementing with a good multi, and EFAs is also really important. Its very tough to get the amount of vitamins you need from food. A good multi is a great way to make up for this deficit. Remember the RDAs for vitamins/minerals are the amounts that prevent disease. These aren't the amounts that help you to thrive.

You have a great repetoire of foods that you can make... this is both a blessing and a curse... Variety is good, however, to get big takes consistency, and being consistent requires that you eat the same/similar shiiite every day. Your diet in my opinion is a mixture of good/bad things.

Good things:
- decent amount of meat
- good meal schedule
- Good amount of fruits/veges.
- Good variety (but remember to stay consistent)

Bad things:
- too much milk (everyone is lactose intolerant to a degree)
- Poor protein distribution through out the day.
- Seems like it would take a lot of time to prepare the gourmet meals that you describe!

A lot of people may disagree with my take on milk, but I found that my physique and digestive health improved tremendously when I really cut down on milk and bread intake. The gas/multiple poops per day is pretty common. Trust me, I shiit anywhere from 3-5 times a day.

I'll give you a sample diet on what I'd recommend. Its modeled a bit on my diet. Eat around every 3 hours and try not to be ever be hungry:

Meal 1:

- 1 to 1.5 cups oatmeal + 50 g whey
- fruit

Meal 2:

- 6 to 8 whole egg omlette (put cheese, whatever you want in it)
- 1-2 cups brown rice

Meal 3:

- 6-8 oz of red meat (you choose what you wanna eat)
- 6-8 oz of yam
- fruits/veges

Meal 4:

- Same as above

Meal 5:

- Weight gain shake or...
- 6 - 8 oz of chicken
- 1- 2 cups brown rice
- veges.

Meal 6 (before bedtime)

- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1-2 oz almonds
- 1 apple.

Cook eggs in macedemia nut oil or olive oil. Have your yams with the same stuff. I enjoy mashed yams with macademia nut oil and chives.

The above is a simple diet to follow as it is easy to prep, store and consume. I'm a busy guy who hates to cook, so this totally fits my style. Since you love cooking you can make and eat your steaks for meals 3 and 4, and prep a nice chicken dish for the next meal.

Overall you'll need to use trial and error to see what combination of meals helps w/ all the GI issues that you have.

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your comments about pizza days and your issues with flatulence lead me to suspect that you might not be handling dairy well.

I have known that I'm sensitive to lactose for a few years now. Even after I knew, I'd still eat half of a large pizza just because I enjoyed it so much. After eating it I'd feel bloated and gassy and acidic. Once i cut all dairy out of my diet I've drastically reduced the number of "gastric events" that cause me pain or discomfort.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A. Good restaurants such as IHOP, Golden Corral, steakhouses, etc. when I'm out on the town. Such outings turn into feasts and typically occur at night.
Um, no. Those are not good restaurants, they are feeding troughs. The minimum that I would consider a good restaurant is Swiss Chalet.

B. A quick bite when I'm on the run. Burgers, tacos, etc. from fast food places. Such meals occur during lunchtime but tend to be heavy meals that are gorged down pretty fast.
C. Pizza delivery to my residence, when I'm stuck at home working on projects/assignments, and the food in the fridge has ran out and I don't have time to go out and acquire more. This last option, when I have to resort to it, really gives me some bad digestive cases. I am trying to eventually avoid it all together.
1. Heavy meals which are full of lactose. And then you drink milk throughout the day. This is a bad idea. Everyone has the ability to process lactose, some less than others but everyone has a limited supply! When your body runs out of enzymes to break it down, you get gas. You're exhausting your body with the lactose. Take it easy.

2. You drink milk after a heavy meal. Milk and steak? Milk and lamb? No wonder you have digestion problems. Milk is hard to break down to begin with and then you have it with meats? And nuts?

3. Heavy meals and too many of them. Heavy and complex meals like you eat take a long time to digest. But before you can finish digesting lunch, you decide to throw in some snack and milk after your main meal while the previous food hasn't finished digesting and it turns into a fermenting mess.

4. No fruits with large meals. Fruits need to be digested quickly because if it takes too long to digest them, they will start to ferment inside you. Eat fruits separatelly or with something small. Apple and some peanut butter. A banana and some crackers. Yoghurt and some berries. Yoghurt is easy to digest because it's partially broken down by bacteria cultures.'

5. Peanut butter is mostly sugar and oil. Why do you think it's so sweet and easy to spread? Real nut butter is like clay when cold and very tangy. Also, nuts are hard to digest, and you're mixing them with milk.

In conclusion: You need to fix the problems.

My suggestions:

1. Reduce the milk. Milk is by itself or with a small snack. Milk and a few cookies. Done for the day.

2. Main meals you have to give them time to digest. Eat when you're hungry, that means your stomach is probably empty. They will digest faster and more efficiently.

3. Reduce the peanut butter. There's little peanut in there anyways.

4. No more milk before bed. No more milk with a heavy meal. No more fruits with a heavy meal. No more nuts with a heavy meal. Heavy meals should be: carbs, meats, vegetables. You can add in other ingredients to flavor and add texture but use sparingly. For example, I like chicken with almonds. But it's mostly chicken with a little bit of roasted almond on top for flavor.

5. Yoghurt is good. Helps break down lactose because it contains bacterial cultures that break down lactose.

algeraadrian

Reaction score
Digestive Tract Health tips are given below.
-Choose high quality, fresh organic foods
-Chew thoroughly
-Understand the importance of stomach acid (HCl)

heroshima

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd suggest replacing the milk with a good yogurt. Don't get Yoplait or crap like that with sugar in it. Get a natural yogurt with active bacterial cultures in it. That will help with your digestive issues.