diet/sleep

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I started bulking about 10 weeks ago and in that time I've put on 10-15 lbs. However, I have had trouble falling asleep during this period and my sleep has not been as deep as it used to be.

I was wondering if the time of my food intake could be the cause. Here is what I eat and when I eat it on a daily basis: (/ = or)

8am: Shake - 1 cup milk, banana, one scoop whey, tablespoon olive oil
10:30am: usually some wheat bread
12:30pm: grilled chicken sandwich/cheeseburger/turkey sandwich, beef stew, pretzels
3:30pm: tuna on wheat or peanut butter on wheat
4:30pm: apple
6:00pm (7:00pm on workout days): Shake - 1 cup milk, 2 scoops whey, 1 cup oats, 3 strawberries
8:00pm: chicken breast/steak/fish/ground beef, wheat pasta/brown rice
10:30pm: 3 eggs, toast

I also drink water throughout the day up until bed and wake up atleast once or twice a night to go to the bathroom.

This is what a typical day looks like for my diet and I don't stray from it much. I take in a large portion of my calories at night after 6pm. Could this possibly be contributing to my trouble falling asleep?

Junaid

Don Juan
Reaction score
it might just be because ur waking up 2-3 times a night to pee

it takes awile for ur body to get into deep sleeping mode and you sorta reset the prep time for it by waking up.

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
While it is annoying to wake up a couple times a night to go to the bathroom, I usually fall right back to sleep. You're right though, this could be preventing me from falling into a deep sleep.

The problem I'm more concerned with is the fact that I cannot fall asleep when I initially lay down to go to bed. Lately, it's been taking me atleast an hour or so to fall asleep, so instead of 8 hours of sleep I'm getting 7 or less. I eat my last meal right before going to sleep, so I was wondering if this could be keeping me awake.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you go to bed at the same time, then you will automatically become accustomed to it as your internal clock begins to "reprogram" itself. You'll start falling asleep sooner than normal.

I'd try to get the last meal about 2 hours before bed, so if I hit the sack around 10, last meal around 7:30, 8ish. Usually protein, fewer carbs than normal.