Diet, panic attacks and mental health

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As embarrassing as it is to admit, for the past month I've suddenly started experiencing regular panic attacks. I used to suffer them as a teenager, but haven't had one for well over 6 years.

The weird thing is, it's not caused by any phobia or situation. I've just been feeling really tense and on edge lately, and the slightest thing sets me off. I'm wondering if it could be related to my cutting diet. I've experienced low moods and sensitivity from cutting before, but never full on panic attacks.

Just wondering if anyone with cutting experience has ever had panic attacks or general menta health problems as a result. Also, are there any specific foods or vitamins that help reduce them?

arekaye

Reaction score
Do you work out, take vitamins, and get natural sunlight daily? That killed off my panic attacks, make sure your body is getting the ammount of minerals and vitamins you need, most health problems originate from a deficiency of one or the other.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
st johns wort is a vitamin that is formulated for things such as stress and panic attacks. their is a womans version called kira, it costs more but it works better than the plain old st johns wort.

in my opinion, i dont think it has to do with your cutting. if you experienced panic attacks as a teenager, they stopped and are now reoccuring, its never really went away. a remission i guess.

there was an articile in mens health a in 2003 that went into detail about one mans way of talking himself out of panic attacks, well if they are small attacks, his advise helps so much.
if they are big full force , make you think you are gonna have a heart attack kind, you may need to just go see your family dr and get on some meds. they may give you a choice between paxil,welbutron, prozac , lexipro and zoloft. lexipro seems to have less side effects , however does make you a little more tired thruout the day.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
st johns wort is a vitamin that is formulated for things such as stress and panic attacks. their is a womans version called kira, it costs more but it works better than the plain old st johns wort.

in my opinion, i dont think it has to do with your cutting. if you experienced panic attacks as a teenager, they stopped and are now reoccuring, its never really went away. a remission i guess.

there was an articile in mens health a in 2003 that went into detail about one mans way of talking himself out of panic attacks, well if they are small attacks, his advise helps so much.
if they are big full force , make you think you are gonna have a heart attack kind, you may need to just go see your family dr and get on some meds. they may give you a choice between paxil,welbutron, prozac , lexipro and zoloft. lexipro seems to have less side effects , however does make you a little more tired thruout the day.
its an herb not a vitamin.

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dont **** with st johns wart it will cuase your **** to malfunction. look that **** up homie.

I had panic attacks for awhile about 3 yrs ago. i overcame them thru breathing therapy. When i felt one coming on i would just "stop",slow down whatever, and take 10 nice an slow deep breaths.

By 10 i was suffiecently calmed and ready to go. Soon thereafter i didnt see panic attacks as bad, i just thought of them as "oh wtf now another one, ok hurry up and happen so i can continue with my life". Then usually it would just go away.

Now i only suffer then very rarely. and its not a big deal to me anymore because ive had them so many times im desensitized.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RaWBLooD
its an herb not a vitamin.
which ever, it is found in the vitamin isle in a vitamin looking bottle . you know , right over there by the vitamin c .

anyhow, exactly what is the difference between a vitamin and a herb? i always wondered....

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by C00L
dont **** with st johns wart it will cuase your **** to malfunction. look that **** up homie.

I had panic attacks for awhile about 3 yrs ago. i overcame them thru breathing therapy. When i felt one coming on i would just "stop",slow down whatever, and take 10 nice an slow deep breaths.

By 10 i was suffiecently calmed and ready to go. Soon thereafter i didnt see panic attacks as bad, i just thought of them as "oh wtf now another one, ok hurry up and happen so i can continue with my life". Then usually it would just go away.

Now i only suffer then very rarely. and its not a big deal to me anymore because ive had them so many times im desensitized.
thats exactly what that guy in mens health article talked about. apparently when you start to have one, you can tell yourself," its just an panic attack. its not a heart attack, it didnt kill me last time and it wont kill me this time. it will go away in a minute. "and this really helped him.

this is good advise if you can apply it.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback on this.

I have read up on the calming techniques suggested, but my problem is it often happens in the middle of a conversation so pausing to gather my breath or count to ten will seem very odd. To be honest, the only thing that bothers me about them is that it's embarrassing. A lot of the time it just starts when I blush and I think people can read my thoughts. I think about excusing myself and leaving, but that would seem even more weird half way through a conversation.

The problem is all of the advice I'm reading is directed at people with phobias or low confidence, and that doesn't apply to me. That said, I'm starting to fear the panic attacks themselves and it's getting to the point where I have been avoiding tense situations (like asking a girl out) because I believe I'll start panicking and embarrass myself.

I just can't understand why they've suddenly started happening again after so many years and without any real reason. The only thing I could point to is my diet as I have been cutting and doing a lot of cardio for over a month.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Sazuki. I remember having mood swings and feeling a bit sensitive last time I went through a cutting cycle, just not this bad. I also know I feel bold, energetic and in control during my bulking cycles, so I would assume the reverse applies.

I appreciate what you are saying about listening to your body and I guess I have experienced more than just panic attacks - limited attention span, low sex drive, sweaty palms, tension, fatigue to think of a few. So I think it's time I eased out of this cutting cycle, even if it's just to get some perspective. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Thanks again.

freefalling

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to have panic attacks too. I read a book on them and they said that not eating enough food can cause some sort of insulin shortage and can cause them. My first panic attack happened when I was on a crash diet were I only ate one meal a day. So I believe it.

I did a quick google and I think the problem is Hypoglycemia

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Freefalling. I looked up Hypoglycemia and the symptoms are very familiar.

It's too early to tell for sure, but since increasing my calories 5 days ago I haven't had any panic attacks or anxiety. I'll keep it up and give you all an update in another week or two.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just an update. I've increased my calorie and carb intake since I started this thread and it has put an end to the panic attacks.

Looking back, I was starting to get into a rather weak/sensitive state of mind, yet this has also changed.

I can't say I've had any overnight miracles, but my little experience does prove that diet can strongly affect your state of mind and may even be responsible for some mental issues like panic attacks and poor concentration.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jariel
Just an update. I've increased my calorie and carb intake since I started this thread and it has put an end to the panic attacks.

Looking back, I was starting to get into a rather weak/sensitive state of mind, yet this has also changed.

I can't say I've had any overnight miracles, but my little experience does prove that diet can strongly affect your state of mind and may even be responsible for some mental issues like panic attacks and poor concentration.
Yeah I can definately see how it can affect you!

Good for you man!

NINJA PIMP

Banned
Reaction score
I read an article once about this doctor who was doing regressive therapy on an obese patient. Every time she lost weight, she would experience past emotional trauma and suppressed memories that coincided with the last time she weighed that much. At 200 lbs, she remembered lost details of her life at 24 years of age, at 175 lbs, her teen years began to resurface.

Many other doctors have proposed the idea that our emotions and memories get embedded into our cellular make-up. Perhaps as you get closer to your teenage weight, this explains why the attacks have returned. You are on the same physical wavelength you were then and all the old fears come flooding back.

In the end, you should consider it a gift...you are being forced to face unfinished business that most people go their whole lives ignoring. The next time you get a panic attack, as corny as it sounds, take a deeeeep breath and tell yourself "I love you". Realize that you are purging negative energy and it is healthy to let it all out.

Incidientially, studies show that most people who have panic attacks have problems manifesting their emotions, especially sadness or anger. Something to consider...