Devastated after breakup

Fernando2826

Reaction score
I've posted about this break-up before but wanted to look for some additional opinons.

My now ex-girlfriend, 20, and I were involved for 6 months. The relationship was very intense, particularly in the last few months - we went on an amazing holiday, lived together for a few weeks and spent almost every night and many days together.

After around 3 months, she told me that she loved me. I felt a deep connection to her but was unsure that it was love. She would refer to me as her “soulmate", tell me that she wanted to spend her life with me (during particularly emotional times i.e. after sex), wishfully discussed our future lives and said, in all seriousness, that she would want to move to Australia with me after university. She even stated that she would be uncertain about an abortion if she were to become pregnant. She discussed our Christmas together later in the year and our children in ten years.

Now, I was concerned about her suitability for a long-term relationship, given that she cheated on her ex-bf – she explained that they didn’t see one another frequently enough due to university separation and that, after a year of only once monthly visits, she got bored and fell out of love with, and cheated on him. Is this fair enough?

What compounded my doubts was her saying that she hadn’t felt guilty about this ending because she didn't love him anymore. She also said that she often wondered whether he had been the love of her life, but later on in our relationship said that she had never had a connection with him such as we had.

She adored sex (and was highly promiscuous when younger), is a middle adult child of divorce – her father cheated on several partners possibly including her mother – and has gone to university to study drama, with the aim of becoming an actress (not that this is indicative of anything necessarily but could be symptomatic of a need for attention in certain cases).

After 6 incredible months together, we both departed for university. We discussed ending things but agreed that we wanted to try a distance relationship as we couldn’t bear the thought. She did, however, say that she was “terrified of messing things up” and recreating past “self-sabotaging behaviours” but couldn’t imagine doing that to me. She said that she was afraid that I might meet someone, a medic (my course) with whom she could not compete, but trusted me “with her life”.

During our time apart, she initially spoke of her excitement over seeing me in the coming weeks, seeing me for Christmas and passionately expressed her love – “I don’t think you’ll ever understand how much I love you”, “you’re my world”, “I miss your mind, body and soul” – although I think she was made more emotional by alcohol on several of these occasions. I received several drunken phone calls during which she stated that she was desperate for things to work, that she wanted/felt she needed me to be there to reassure her, that she missed me a great deal and loved me intensely. However, when I called during the day, I received the same luke-warm reactions. Within days of this, by around 3 weeks of separation, she had stopped making any effort to contact me and I would not receive responses to messages/phone calls for 24 hours.

I visited her days later. She became slightly teary upon seeing me but then proceeded to more or less ignore me, to show next to no enthusiasm for my presence (almost annoyance), to text her new friends in front of me and to say that she didn't have the “emotional capacity” to make our relationship work alongside her time-demanding course. She was largely dispassionate the entire time we discussed this – showing almost no emotion as she suggested a break. After me asking whether something had happened, she admitted that she had been invited back to another guy's house and had slept in his bed, cuddling all night, but swore in an impassioned manner that nothing more intimate had happened.

It turned out that she had been flirtatiously texting this guy in front of me the entire time I was there – suggesting she would visit him during the Summer and telling him how awkward things had become with us. Even as we ended things she picked up the phone to text him. Furthermore, the only enthusiasm she showed was when he responded to a message.

During our relationship, she would rarely show great enthusiasm and was extremely laid back, like myself. A typical evening might involve a luke-warm reception (no smile or hug unless instigated by me) and somewhat difficult conversation to which I would contribute the majority of the impetus. Gradually, the level of intimacy and affection would increase – a kiss, cuddling on the sofa, sex and then intimate conversation. If we parted in the morning, the next visit would proceed similarly. We never fought and she rarely showed any anger, hating confrontation. She would show annoyance and impatience but denied ever feeling jealousy.

She seemed to be very loving and affectionate during the right moments i.e. watching a movie/in bed/after sex (particularly during the latter stages) but could also be disinterested and condescending. She could also be quite selfish - "forgetting her wallet", buying expensive items despite owing me money that I was in need of etc.

She said that before she met me she found it very difficult to open up to people emotionally, even to her previous boyfriend of 2 years, and had never discussed her previous issues surrounding eating disorders, her parents’ divorce and her issues with self-image (she was very conscious of her weight and looks and had previously suffered from an eating disorder).

She frequently said that she wished we had met after university/that she wanted a future with me, due to her propensity to engage in "self-sabotaging behaviours" – cheating, promiscuity in younger days, drug taking and going out drinking - and was scared of ruining our relationship. She also frequently said that she was afraid that I was going to meet someone at university.

But at the same time, she said that, since being at university, she rarely thought of me. She immediately started “seeing” the guy she shared a bed with after we parted.

How is it that she could have moved on (new partner & seeming so happy)/given up on a relationship of such apparent intensity so quickly?
When I received midnight phone calls saying how she "so wanted it to work" and how she was "so afraid" I was going to meet someone, was this an indication that she was grieving for the relationship, subconsciously knowing it wouldn't work, hence her apparent quick recovery?

Or is she just finding it very easy to ignore the situation (hence the emotion shown when I was actually present) - she said she rarely thinks of home and doesn't miss it, wouldn't rather be anywhere else than her dream current university etc. – drama, leading to a career in acting.

I’m not sure whether she feels love to a limited extent, hence the quick recovery/loss of interest, or has an ability to just “go cold” on partners? Neither of these seems to explain how she stayed with, and stayed faithful to, her last bf (who she apparently had nothing near the same connection with and doubted her love for) for a year, despite only seeing one another once a month. I believe that we would still be together had it not been for her going to university (even if I had) so could it just be the lack of a familiar support network – new environment, new people, new challenges, new stresses etc. meaning a heightened desire for a new partner?

Does she just like the novel? Is this a grass is greener situation? Or was our relationship just a honeymoon situation? Did she ever actually love me – to a normal extent or to her own capacity for such a feeling?

Would love to hear your views and my apologies for the length of this post.

Reaction score
She's young. It's good she called you her soul mate.

Her head will be on a swivel like many of the females around her at University.

She will likely cheat on you. Your only defense is being highly attractive and having a lot going on for yourself. In this viewpoint you may as well cheat, because it's going to happen.

You guys will likely not end up together.

They grow and change from 20-25 and from 25-30, it can be a person with different priorities in their life. The growing pains of dealing with them changing can be a lot of drama.

The guys here will say plate her, don't make her a priority because of the distance, hit something closer to you.

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
You're both off in different directions. Distance relationships are difficult under the best of circumstances.

You're 'devastated', she's on her own path without you.

Let go now.

MOTU

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fernando, how old are you? I am guessing 18-20?

If I could go back in time and talk to myself at age I would say this:
"Don't take b!tches too seriously and don't worry about finding your 'soul mate' or 'the one'. Focus on your future and the things you can control, like your economic well being later in life. Become a real man. That takes time and effort. Work for it. The b!tches will sort themselves out later on".

Dgwizdal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha too be young in love and devestated again. Life will go on dude. Take what you learn here and you'll forget about this chick in no time. Everyone here has gotten their heart broken before they saw the light. Be glad this happened to you at a very young age.

She'll still be around after college and all that - let her go cleanly. Tell he it's over and don't look back. Believe me when I say that there is nothing you can do but hold onto your nuts and dignity - whatever you do - do no turn into a sappy AFC little b!tch. Period.

Walk away with your head held high and do not give her an ounce of emotional response. She will be back around eventually down the line if you do not give her any power by chasing. Cut her off. Now.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing captures the moments of your life like heartache. We must embrace it. God made it an overwhelming feeling for a reason. It is to inspire us.

ucde

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is so much going on in human relationships, that we are in fact quite naive about, and that includes those who have been in many.

We do have past lives, (reincarnation is real), and so you meet many people who you already have a lot of past life interaction with. You have a lot of 'karma' as well, which is hard for me to explain right now, but its basically a kind of unfinished love+suffering contract between two people.

The kind of momentum and powerful intimacy you experienced with this person indicates that you both had been together before. Thats why it was so powerful and why it 'just worked'.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything though, in terms of longevity, stability and actually building a relationship here in this life. The purpose of these 'past-life intimacy explosions' (which many people have had, and they are often long distance) is to show you what an intense love relationship can be like. How amazing it can be.

It can seem like this person is the One, and its time to just settle down with her. Your feelings of grief and devastation (I feel it too, bro, just got done crying about a situation going on here...) are likely past-life related. E.g., in your past life, she was your wife for 25 years and then suddenly died or left you, or was taken away or something. In this life you get to re-experience and process the feelings which you couldn't deal with in the past, by experiencing a 'micro' version of your past life karma with her on a compressed timeline. So you can for example have a tremendously emotional relationship in the space of six months.

She's also looking to live out her karmic connections to others, and so she's chasing these other guys who she has some other form of connection to. It may be less deep, may be more about how she relates to sexuality. There is no way to nail down a 20-something girl bro unless she is late 20s and looking to settle. Best to deal with the feelings, because that's God's real message and teaching to you, to learn how to absorb the feelings and grow your heart through experiencing grief, grow your lower heart through experiencing sadness/longing, all that good stuff.

If it sounds crazy, it is, but there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophies, Horatio. Peace.

Thorninmyside

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We've all dated that girl mate. Her insecurity and need for love justifies all her bad choices. The good news is that you get to figure this type out way before many of us ever did. Never begrudge the learning experience because this is a good one.

Alexandar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
what the phuck is with these responses in this thread? are you guys for phucking real?

look, fernando, while what these guys say is true, and you should internalize it, your situation is obviously a little unique.

this isnt just some 'aah to be young' or 'separated by university' type of sh it

your bit ch is a crazy phucking psycho, fernando

do NOT plate her, do not ever talk to her again, she will spin your mind upside down and brain phuck you so hard that what ur describing will sound like a honeymoon to you

she is seriously mentally damaged, she will NEVER be a normal person, stay the phuck AWAY and never talk to her again IF you know whats good for you, which you dont lol, so please trust me.

she never felt that strong about you, its all a psychological drama she HAS to play out to stay sane, she lied to you about many things i GUARANTEE you, for example, she absolutely shared her past with her ex, etc, and she spilt the same emotional bull sh it to him that she did to. you, know this.

this type of person is sick from a phucked up childhood and 99% of them will never heal. they will suck your energy and USE you, even if only subconsciously.

you can tell im telling you truth by analyzing her past behavior, the way she was SO emotional during and after sex for example, but not at other normal times, when she was in fact usually the opposite

but more importantly, look what she did to. you, do you yhink it was ANY different than what happened to her ex? if you cant see this, you deserve to be destroyed by her, i dont care how young you are

and im shocked the posters here havent said this

ucde, what the phuck man? this is NOT the spot for that sh it youre talking about, not the time to. get spiritual on this kid (you too bigneil like. seriously) and im a believer in what ur talking about...

and u cant tell people reincarnation is real jus cuz u believe it is. i mean i do too but you gota get real man, pm me if u want

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
As much as it hurts to experience rejection, when we can walk away from a girl we care about, even if she never writes to us again, we gain power. We also raise the bar for her behavior.

pyros

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Super important lesson to be learnt from this experience:

DO NOT DATE A GIRL THAT HAS SO MANY ISSUES: cheats, has food disorders, is a wh-ore that need di-ck supply constantly.

For the next women in your life you must screen them for a few weeks or months to see if they're clean, you know? and if you see they have issues you keep them as FWB but never ever date them unless you want a life full of drama, anger, and depression.

I am really shocked noone said this to OP.

P.S.
No, she did not love you. She just loves herself. She has so many issues and she's so emotionally unstable that she behaves the way she does...
Besides, you should not ever again trust what a woman says (love you, you0re my soulmate...) just her actions.

HeadLightsOn

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
OP

It's easy to listen to all that is posted here - including what I'm about to say.

Slutty habits
Eating disorders
Broken home
Daddy issues
BPD like behavior
Emotional problems

Have a look at that list.If you get locked in with a woman like this-you are as good as dead.

You won't care about this. Your list goes:

Love her
She loves me
Beautiful
Soulmate
Sex is amazing
She is the one

Your list is your headspace talking.

Use my list. Get your head, **** and heart out of this race. You'll lose if you stay in. Best of luck.

dk1990S111

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HeadLightsOn said:
OP

It's easy to listen to all that is posted here - including what I'm about to say.

Slutty habits
Eating disorders
Broken home
Daddy issues
BPD like behavior
Emotional problems

Have a look at that list.If you get locked in with a woman like this-you are as good as dead.

You won't care about this. Your list goes:

Love her
She loves me
Beautiful
Soulmate
Sex is amazing
She is the one

Your list is your headspace talking.

Use my list. Get your head, **** and heart out of this race. You'll lose if you stay in. Best of luck.
for real man. OP you need to take a step back and look at the list HLO made right there. That is all the sh1t you dont want or need in your life.

Also I am willing to bet they didnt just cuddle. My ex and I were together 4 years. The crazy b1tch told me several times that I was her soul mate, she loved me more than anything, and that "if I cheated on her she would stay with me without a doubt". In the end she cheats on me (cant make this sh1t up lol) and we are done like it never happened. And just like your girl she had issues with her parents all the way back to childhood (and even now, her dad has her blocked on his cell), bulimic, and always worried about her appearance.

She will always be fvcked in the head, dont think that you can fix her or make her whole by showing her that she is special to you. Its all just a game to her.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This chick is bad news. You need to move away as fast as you can. Truth is that I can't think of anyone that ever had a positive experience dating an actress or a girl that wanted to be an actress.

El Payaso

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I say you dodged a bullet. She did you a favor. She has simply moved onto another victim.

B

BlueAlpha1

Fernando - I know why you're here. To find somebody in what is bound to be this multi-page post whose going to tell you she loves you, there's hope, and "this is how to get hear back."

I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

Soul-mate babble early? Check.
Justified cheating? Check.
Mood swings? Check.
Public disrespect? Check.
Sleeping in another man's bed? Check.

Please...I could go on all night. All the makings of an promiscuous, insecure, female-privilege afflicted psycho. She's garbage, and while I'd love to tell you you deserve better, you don't yet. You talk like a beta male, creating 1500 word whiny diatribes on how to get her back while she's out dating around. Fifty years ago this is what women talked about when they were together. We've lost our way as men collectively, and you're a good example. What do you have to offer these women anyway other than neediness?

She's NOT going to change, but you better change before your self worth goes from zero to negative infinity.

Good luck.

Wisconsin144

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure she was already grieving the relationship when she drunk dialed you. We all think our exes never truly loved us right after we break up, and I can almost guarantee she did at one point. Emotions change and that makes us human, I'd recommend looking into the No Contact challenge thread and get to know some of the people there and read their stories, always helps me. Good luck man!

-Jared

B

BlueAlpha1

Wisconsin144 said:
I'm pretty sure she was already grieving the relationship when she drunk dialed you. We all think our exes never truly loved us right after we break up, and I can almost guarantee she did at one point. Emotions change and that makes us human, I'd recommend looking into the No Contact challenge thread and get to know some of the people there and read their stories, always helps me. Good luck man!

-Jared
How can you claim she "loved" him when she committed a half-dozen unforgivable sins against this fellow, one worse than the next?

Either she's insane and incapable of love, or she does love him yet our fem-centric society allows for women to trample a man while simultaneously loving him, and she's convinced she's done nothing wrong.

Fernando2826

Reaction score
Thanks for responses all, much appreciated.

An additional note is that I removed her from FB post-dumping, only to receive a message after a few months saying how much I'd hurt her by doing so. She even said that she thought the breakup had been amicable.

It seems there's a split between her being young, therefore showing immaturity and selfishness, and being generally somewhat fvcked.

Here's what I think happened: she always seemed unsure as to whether she wanted a relationship when going to uni, but was in two minds. Got to uni, got consumed by it and inexplicably started flirting with another guy, perhaps as a rebound of sorts, then ended up in his bed after deciding our relaitonship was over.

Gets to me thinking she is going to be better with the next guy - at uni, part of her friendship group, can't fvck him over etc. - Beta-shlt maybe, but just bothering me.

Cheers again, chaps.

mikey2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fernando2826 said:
Thanks for responses all, much appreciated.

An additional note is that I removed her from FB post-dumping, only to receive a message after a few months saying how much I'd hurt her by doing so. She even said that she thought the breakup had been amicable.

It seems there's a split between her being young, therefore showing immaturity and selfishness, and being generally somewhat fvcked.

Here's what I think happened: she always seemed unsure as to whether she wanted a relationship when going to uni, but was in two minds. Got to uni, got consumed by it and inexplicably started flirting with another guy, perhaps as a rebound of sorts, then ended up in his bed after deciding our relaitonship was over.

Gets to me thinking she is going to be better with the next guy - at uni, part of her friendship group, can't fvck him over etc. - Beta-shlt maybe, but just bothering me.

Cheers again, chaps.
You are too young to care. She is BPD for sure and will string along/cheat on many others. I went to a wedding where a guy was professing his love for the bride whom he dated for 3 months in high school. She strung him along for 15 years.. Don't be that guy.