Day vs Night Workouts

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can enjoy my workouts a lot more when I get to the gym before 6 PM, mornings are best of all. I went to the gym tonight after eating dinner. I did okay but it didn't invigorate me as much as my morning and afternoon workouts do.

Does anyone else notice a difference in exercise level based on time of day?

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Well from personal experience I found that evening workouts tend to be a little more strenuous because by that time I have used up a lot of energy throughout the day.. As opposed to working out in the afternoon when I am still energetic I guess... [/FONT]

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently 3 and/or 11 hours after waking in the morning is the best time to train.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you're eat a big meal & then work out, your blood sugar will be shot to hell, your body will have to split energy between digesting and your workout, and the later in the day you go, the more your 'go to sleep' hormones will be kicking in. not to mention, the closer to bedtime you workout, the more trouble you'll have falling asleep. which impedes recovery, etc. etc.

you'll have to find your own rhythms, but i'd recommend against lifting within 3-4 hours of bedtime (counted from the time you leave the gym).

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
Apparently 3 and/or 11 hours after waking in the morning is the best time to train.
why?

britiny_9

Banned
Reaction score
night workout

better is night workout ,in night we always free and we have sufficient time for it

a123

Don Juan
Reaction score
Its depends on you, when you feel you can train better? I know a bodybuilder that trains in the mornings, because he can workout harder in the morning, and I know bodybuilders that work out in the evening (6pm) because its the time they can train harder, I also know one bodybuilder that train in 10pm..
it all depend on you. When you can feel you can train harder? its the answer.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
not to mention, the closer to bedtime you workout, the more trouble you'll have falling asleep.
Myth

Climax said:
Well from personal experience I found that evening workouts tend to be a little more strenuous because by that time I have used up a lot of energy throughout the day.
Logical Point !

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'll restate. the closer i work out to bedtime, the more trouble i have falling asleep. and it's more of a problem if i do cardio, less if i'm lifting. i in fact will sometimes take a nap after getting my pwo nutrition. but i don't see how it's a myth that you're playing around with hormones that no one fully understands.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
but i don't see how it's a myth that you're playing around with hormones that no one fully understands.
hormones your playing around with ??? If you do any kind of exercise close to bed time, come home have a good high protein meal and go to bed you WILL fall asleep.

If you decide to stay up late you may or may not get those feelings of tiredness, but it has been studied and PROVEN that physical activity close to bedtime DOES NOT prevent someone from falling asleep or having a sound sleep.

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is one of those chicken or the egg discussions that could go on for years without an answer.

Simply put, whatever is right for you, at the moment.

I've been on both sides....I worked out in the evening for years. I used to wonder how in the world anyone could possibly lift anything in the morning.

I had an accident in 2005, during my recovery, I began working out in the morning. Now I wonder how in the world anyone could work out at night.

Whatever you are used to, you will do. Your body and mind will adapt.

I work out at 6:15am and I can't see it any other way now.

king0fhearts59

Don Juan
Reaction score
ok well ill put it this way, i used to be skinny as hell so i got on a serious diet and finally gained some weight, but that was from eating ALL day every hour. apparently working out at around 6 pm is awesome because your muscle building hormones are most escalated then, but for me thats too late because that means only 2-3 meals after my post-workout shake. so if your not in the weight gain dept. dont worry bout liftin at 6 or later itll be beneficial