Dancing

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not very good at it. I've picked up some rhythm over the past year, and would like to think i'm not completely deaf, but I do not know how to dance. I do not know how to dance in any sort of way...

Hopefully some of you do,

Any tips?

I don't plan on taking classes, no time, but maybe in the next year.

I'm talking about basic steps you would do in the club so it looks like you have rhythm, i'm not talking ballroom or anything like that. Maybe thinking of some black "pretty boy" rappers would help you visualize what I'm looking for :).

So, does anyone have any tips? Know of any videos on youtube or to buy that teach you how to dance?

asianbboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
ask a girl to dance and grind. move your hips left & right to the music while running your hands up & down her waist hip. trust me if you do this right thers no better kino

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
asianbboy said:
ask a girl to dance and grind. move your hips left & right to the music while running your hands up & down her waist hip. trust me if you do this right thers no better kino
Yes, and I've had plenty of practice doing this (though grinding is always a little intimidating until you get your hips loose) but I'm talking about when you're just chilling on the floor solo and the moves you can do to just move with the music.

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EvilAgenda said:
If you do not have time, then do not ask how to learn to dance. Because to learn anything, you must invest time.

I will say this: DANCING is an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE SKILL for a true DJ.
So, your comment is not helpful in any way...

I don't have time to take 1-3 hr dance classes...but I do have time to take tips from the community, maybe watch a few videos, and do some LAME practicing on my own.

Something constructive would be appreciated, thanks man!

asianbboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
EvilAgenda is on the right track man. You don't need to take classes, you can definitely become a decent dancer from just watching tutorial videos online. Time spent practicing means less awkwardness and fluidity. If you actually want to look like you're dancing, you'll need to invest time.
but honestly this is an area i could use some help on too. I'm a break dancer and a decent one at that, but no one wants to stand around in a cypher all night. i think you may want to look up some house dancing or salsa videos

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
asianbboy said:
EvilAgenda is on the right track man. You don't need to take classes, you can definitely become a decent dancer from just watching tutorial videos online. Time spent practicing means less awkwardness and fluidity. If you actually want to look like you're dancing, you'll need to invest time.
but honestly this is an area i could use some help on too. I'm a break dancer and a decent one at that, but no one wants to stand around in a cypher all night. i think you may want to look up some house dancing or salsa videos
...you guys are missing the point.

I'm asking, do you KNOW of any VIDEOS that explain HOW to dance? If so, link them to me or tell me their names so I can rent them.

OR

Do you have any SPECIFIC tips?

Jack Wealthy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Move your hips. Where I go they always play songs like Reptile or Jump Around, you just jump up and down really fast and move around.

Easy: A raise the roof is when a good bit comes on and you put your hands in the air. If you vibe right everyone will follow. Same with jumping.

More complex: Look in my journal where some dance videos were posted, around where LS and I were talking about liquid. In fact, ask LearningSlowly about this because it seems to be his place. I just vibe on the floor.

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jack Wealthy said:
about liquid. In fact, ask LearningSlowly about this because it seems to be his place. I just vibe on the floor.
Liquid is a place right? not a move

Indy95

Don Juan
Reaction score
Popping is fairly easy to learn and doesnt require any body strength or balance. It just takes a lot of practice to work up the fluidity in your body. There are thousands of popping and it's accompanying aspect locking tutorial videos on YouTube.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Preciate the rec Jaedon. I've got this one.

I started with liquid but Indy is right, popping is a great style to get into.
This is liquid done beautifully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uSWfQzjahY
This is how to do liquid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9_T-NAN1I

Here are a couple principles of popping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wQdpBv3Xes&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si_13rEP59c
Others include isolations, hitting, freezes, all sorts of things.

Here is an extreme example of shuffling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9JQdKZt9TM
Don't be intimidated by the force, it can be toned down and applied to a lot of different music.

Here is one example of a dance move you can learn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A0CuGoi9qU&feature=fvwrel
This will take TIME. If you cannot master this move (or get damn close) then you need to commit a lot more priority to your dancing in order to be good. Learning this move will show you what hard work is worth.

Do not watch these videos and practice them each in turn. Watch all of them, maybe briefly attempt them to see how difficult they actually are, then pick the one or two you like best and commit yourself to learning them fully. Work to be the best at those moves. Later on you can keep watching and learning and expand on a solid work ethic.

Masculinity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP: There is absolutely nothing wrong with dancing by yourself or near women. In fact, it is the dudes who are just having fun on the dance floor with or without women, who are the ones attracting women. Let me tell you a brief story. I used to be terrified of clubs and by dancing on my own & working out I gained confidence & danced on my own at clubs. Take a look at my story (scroll down until you find Robyn923b). If I made it, you can do it too.

Being the life of the party pumps you up and gets your ready for success. I suggests enjoying yourself like you are already doing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. When you see an attractive girl, step up to her & tell her you two are having a competition (if she's dancing). Start with a cool move & then tell her to beat it (look up some cool moves on YouTube). Once she does, reply with a silly move; they will love you for being fun. As for dancing with and Hb who is with a UG: dance with both. In fact, make the UG your target at the beginning while slightly engaging the HB. The UG is the one most likely to c0ckblock you, so you must defuse her first. Once you are in with her, shift your attention gradually to the HB. Your goal is to get both to dance comfortably with you. However, you must move pretty fast so that you don't have some other dude trying to steal your HB, in which case, you should AMOG the guy & pull her because you're an alpha. If she ISN'T dancing, just go up to her confidently, grab her hand taking the lead and say "Hey, I'm AlexLefty. Come here and dance with me(with a smirk)." You can pull 8's and beyond doing this.

Here are some tips by Tyler Durden from RSD that will really help you: Tips part 1 Tips part 2 PM me if you have questions/comments.

-Rob