Crossfit

MartinARMT

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone was doing crossfit? I started it 2 weeks ago and so far enjoy it.

During my research I was worried about the horror stories I had found about injury. So I took awhile to find the right gym. I think it is important to find a gym that stresses the importance of proper form.

switch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i bet you heard those stories from ripetoe right? well he is fvll of sh!t.

proper form can never be achieved under 220lbs. read that again.
as you use heavier weights and go beyond 220lbs, your own body, will find out the right form by itself.it has no choice, because if it doesnt,the weight wont move. dont worry about form,just add weight.

crossfit gives you injuries due to its "marathons " or "long distance running" gimmicks.

the thing about gyms is that you have to find a place which emphasizes "Heavy Lifting". the presence of olympic platforms is a good sign.
medicine balls and ab machines are a definite red flag.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good intentions, poor design...

John Romaniello an excellent trainer created his version of a crossfit program fixing what he felt was wrong with it and called it "The Zombie Apocalypse Workout"

Check that out if you want

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
switch said:

\
Well except for the Crossfitter who paralyzed himself last week while you continued a life of making up random numbers

TheException

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
switch said:
as you use heavier weights and go beyond 220lbs, your own body, will find out the right form by itself.it has no choice, because if it doesnt,the weight wont move. dont worry about form,just add weight.
Not only factually incorrect....but also moronic. Its actually the complete opposite. You should have perfect form before adding any weight and only continuing to add weight if the form remains the same.

And as far as crossfit...I concur with the two posters above me. Its a bunch of people who dont know a lot about exercise and the workouts are usually unsafe and provide little benefit(ex kipping pullup = dumb)

JohnChops

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No more keyboard jockeying . Action is the place.
crossfit gives you injuries because its inexpiernced lifters who think they can do 40-50 reps of an olypmic lift with perform form who fail and rip ligaments.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JohnChops said:
crossfit gives you injuries because its inexpiernced lifters who think they can do 40-50 reps of an olypmic lift with perform form who fail and rip ligaments.
This all day.

I don't dislike the idea of crossfit, I just can't stand the elitist attitude most 'crossfitters' have, and the fact that they think they can just jump right into doing sets of 30 reps of the power clean etc...

There are some crossfit 'wods' that I've seen that I actually really like, then others that just leave me shaking my head

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Crossfit, when done correctly, can help you get into the best shape of your life. But it isn't special, it's just a hard, functional workout. Just like anything else, it's not the process, but the person, who determines success.

switch said:

crossfit gives you injuries due to its "marathons " or "long distance running" gimmicks.

the thing about gyms is that you have to find a place which emphasizes "Heavy Lifting". the presence of olympic platforms is a good sign.
Stop posting. All you post is completely retarded sh*t. This is horrific advice.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you should do mike mentzers HIT instead

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
you should do mike mentzers HIT instead
Dude, ive been doing some of his stuff, especially the PAINFULLY SLOW like 5 second negatives, and i've grown more in the past few weeks than i have in months.

As for the crossfit thing... it has been the best thing for promoting barbell training in the history of barbell training. It puts more barbells in the hands of everyday people and takes away the "bodybuilding" stigma of barball training.

However...i do think it's dangerous in crossfit. Not because barbell training is anymore inherently dangerous than other activities like sports or yoga or sprinting or whatever....but it has the POTENTIAL to be. It takes weeks and weeks to get good form for these barbell lifts. Even something like a squat needs to be carefully monitored by someone who knows how to do it, and makes sure you have perfect form before you start pushing yourself to do more weight. Your nervous system needs to take time to adapt to these movements, not just your muscles.

Sure you can have a guy who's never done squats come in one day and do 2 plates on each side pretty easily. But do this for weeks on end without proper form correction and injuries WILL occur.

Not to mention the fact that i've seen rediculous things like people completely out of breath running back and forth....3 max reps on bench......3 max reps on squats....3 reps on cleans...they're so fvcking out of breath that it makes me nervous as hell watching it.

It's a fad. It has its merits, but the problem is Crossfit is marketed specifically to the average person trying to get in shape. not to the elite (or even intermediate) weight lifters and athletes. These are every day people who maybe just play bball with their buddys and do some bicep curls in their garage; they come in all amped to PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT and intend to get ripped very quickly, but they avoid taking the steps that every beginner weight lifter would take. They throw these heavy things around, completely out of breath with weak form and cause all kinds of rotator cuff, lower back, and joint injuries. Not to mention the coaches at these things are always the best prepared, and in some cases are little better than your middle school gym teacher who just got a crossfit certification. I personally would not take ANY advice regarding ANY type of barbell training from anyone who had less than a few years of experience doing said training.

I think crossfit is better suited for doing bodyweight stuff...pushup, pullup, airsquat, etc. Crossfit is giving a bad name to weight training. Barbell training itself is VERY VERY safe, and historically has been

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
switch said:

Not true. At all. If you make your body lift a heavy weight, it will do so in any way possible, usually compromising form. This is especially apparent when you have injuries or muscle imbalances. Your body will take pressure away from the weakness and rely on the other parts of your body instead. You have weakness on the right side of your body? If you force your body to squat, it will compensate by shifting the pressure onto the other side, which will shift your hips out of alignment, which will cause other parts of your body to shift out of alignment (your spine, your knees, even your neck) to compensate, which will royally fvck you up in the long run.

I don't know where you get your bro science, but you've got to stop. You're the same guy who told a kid asking how to learn deadlifts that "anyway brute strength trumps form, every time. dont fret about it and start lifting."

Cmon man, cut that out before people start hurting themselves. this is not even an ego thing or a "me vs you" thing. I'm not trying to merely win an argument. You can play internet tough guy all you want, it doesn't make what you're telling people any less dangerous.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Switch may run his mouth a bit but he often knows what he's talking about, even if it's a little exaggerated to make a point.

Yes form is important for numerous reasons but occasionally form can be sacrificed to get the weight up. Try smashing a new max deadlift whilst keeping perfect form, not going to happen. Mind you, when it comes to very technical lifts (Olympic sh1t essentially), form is damn important. If you can deadlift 700lbs, I'm going to respect you regardless of whether your form is good or not. Injuries can happen regardless of form as well.

I think switch hates on guys who push form so hard is because it's often a way of *****ing out and not going after bigger weights. Form isn't everything. You see guys who'll rant for hours about how they squat 200lbs ass to grass but won't ever get close to big numbers if they're so obsessive about squat depth.

Crossfit is fine, it's stupid but fine. The biggest problem with crossfit are the people who do it. The guy who paralysed himself was doing 3RM snatches after having done numerous sets of cleans etc. He had stressed the fvck out of his tendons and then he went onto do a highly technical lift that should only really be done for 1 rep if done heavy.

Finally HIT is horrific, stop suggesting it

TheException

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DanZy said:
Try smashing a new max deadlift whilst keeping perfect form, not going to happen. Mind you, when it comes to very technical lifts (Olympic sh1t essentially), form is damn important. If you can deadlift 700lbs, I'm going to respect you regardless of whether your form is good or not. Injuries can happen regardless of form as well.
Bolded above for stupidity.

Correct form is the only way to measure if you are actually gaining strength. What good is it if you can beat your old max.....but its not lifted the same way? Sh1tty form allows different variable to affect the weight lifted.

And the bit about getting 700lbs off the floor no matter how they do it to is humorous. More humorous that you find it impressive.

Funny how everyone thinks they are a personal trainer nowadays and think they know everything about exercise and the human body...

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheException said:

Correct form is the only way to measure if you are actually gaining strength. What good is it if you can beat your old max.....but its not lifted the same way? Sh1tty form allows different variable to affect the weight lifted.

And the bit about getting 700lbs off the floor no matter how they do it to is humorous. More humorous that you find it impressive.

Funny how everyone thinks they are a personal trainer nowadays and think they know everything about exercise and the human body...
And you're not like this at all though you disagree with people without any decent reasons for doing so? Have you ever watched professionals (and I'm not talking about idiotic powerlifters who use bench shirts and contort their body to severely lower ROM) lift?

The only way? Hahahaha good god dude, that's utter crap. So elite lifters who don't use perfect form aren't getting any stronger? Yeah, mate but that's a god awful point. I can understand it if you're comparing squats to partial squats etc but otherwise no way.

Go watch Layne Norton deadlifting, slightly rounded back but he gets 700lbs up. It's damn impressive.
Elliot Hulse just so happens to have the same opinion as I do, no big deal

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DanZy said:
And you're not like this at all though you disagree with people without any decent reasons for doing so? Have you ever watched professionals (and I'm not talking about idiotic powerlifters who use bench shirts and contort their body to severely lower ROM) lift?

The only way? Hahahahas good god dude, that's utter craps. So elite lifters who don't use perfect form aren't getting any stronger? Yeah, mate but that's a god awful point. I can understand it if you're comparing squats to partial squats etc but otherwise no way.

Go watch Layne Norton deadlifting, slightly rounded back but he gets 700lbs up. It's damn impressive.
Elliot Hulse just so happens to have the same opinion as I do, no big deal

eliot hulse also finds HIT to be useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj7uDp6FhG4

btw, strength wont necessarily build hypertrophy. i see guys next to me in the gym who can deadlift hundreds of lbs more than me who look like twigs with soft stomachs cause they never bother sculpting their bodies with higher reps, while i have developed significant hypertrophy in all muscles, i look so much more athletic. there are also the fat powerlifters who just bench and squat for several reps and all have fat guts and look like john goodman sitting on the couch.

here is pro bodybuilder kai green explaining the difference between developing hypertrophy and building strength, to achieve hypertrophy making your muscles contract effectively is important, something that HIT happens to do very well, he also has something to say about form.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7e5_1342056496

what are your goals, do you want strength or muscles, or both ?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My problems with Crossfit:

1. It's rushed. Doing complex barbell movements in a hurried fashion without a few solid years of good instruction and training is asking for problems and gross form issues.

2. The guys and gals teaching these classes are not expert lifters. They are mediocre at a bunch of things, hence you get mediocre instruction.

3. It's a fad, and an expensive fad at that. Crossfit didnt "invent" anything novel, all they did was mash up a bunch of different disciplines and call it their own, and try to trademark it.

4. Crossfitters are OK at a bunch of things but excel at nothing.

5. It's a group exercise. Fine if you are into that but I think it holds you back.

Crossfit does get people off their asses and in shape, which is great. But it isn't some superior form of training and certainly isn't worth all the money you spend going to get sh!tty instruction on complex lifts and a bunch of arrogant attitudes.

I think it's fine if you just want general fitness, but beware of quacks. Learn barbell lifts from barbell lifters who compete and succeed, like powerlifters and olympic lifters.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a fad

Yes, which means women love it. I think crossfit is dumb, but I would pretend otherwise just to meet girls :D It's hard enough to find a woman who isn't fat; crossfit would be a good place to look. There was crossfit in the indoor sports place where I trained, and it's hard to be a moo cow and last long.

And this is off-topic, except they happened to meet right next to the crossfit class, there was a weekly Weight Watchers meeting. I walked by the first time expecting it to look like a Sumo convention, but there were hardly any fat women there! Apparently, it's like crossfit, if you're fat you're not going to last very long, so most people there won't be fat.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the crossfit girls are hot for sure, but i just wanted to add that if you were going to pay a monthly membership for something like crossfit, you are better off doing a martial art instead, a real martial art at a real school which will provide you with a different type of workout and also skills that may help you defend yourself one day. muay thai/boxing training is a tremendous workout, tons of jumping rope, stretching, ab work, even the bagwork is a form of resistance training, while sparring rounds will help you develop cardiovascular endurance. jiu jitsu is also great, though the wear on your body and risk of injury will be considerably more with grappling arts. ive been training for over 10 years though and never had a serious injury, just minor ones that i let heal properly. and then you can add in your weight lifting a couple times a week.

Jack Wealthy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheException said:

So I am a personal trainer. To elite level athletes in my country. I agree with DanZy.

Why?

Because while sitting on your curl bench it is easy to tout about perfect form, the reality of the matter is this: Every body is different. A good example is the deadlift: Some people like to look up, others forward, one client I have looks DOWN to keep his neck straight!

In fact, there are actually physiological functions you might not have heard of which make it advantaged and even SAFER to lift with "bad" form sometimes. Again, in the deadlift, a slightly rounded back builds intra-abdominal pressure and tightens the TVA muscles, which means you're less likely to have your colon come out through your rectum. At the same time, the pressure on the spine might even be less because of the angle the weight travels. Depending on individual, it might even come up straighter and less angle=more weight=less stress on spine.

You are obviously a bodybuilder and I respect that completely. However, please don't weigh in advice specifically for max-strength athletes when that isn't your onus or training goal. You won't know as much as someone who has made a career from it. I've chatted to DanZy a lot about fitness, he knows what's up when it comes to my area of specialty. He may not have the degrees like I do, but degrees and knowledge are different if correlated.

Back onto Crossfit, I don't like it. Here's why:
1) Bad form for the sake of more reps is repetive strain in a bottle.
2) No specializing.
3) Often lifts stressing a certain area are grouped together in WODS. Ie, cleans, then snatches, the power press. Goodbye rotator cuff.

I have more reasons but those are the big three. Enjoy, I'm happy to discuss this further should anyone draw issue with what I've said. Just please be reasonable, don't attack me and use science.

Ciao.