Crazykid's rant about the crappiness of this forum...

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As the title says, this is a rant about the downward spiral this forum has taken. I know this has been done before, but this one will have a different point of view. I've been here a long while and rememeber the day I found this forum. I thought I was lucky as anything. I took all the advice I could handle. Pook, terminator911, A Turtle Named Adrian, Wyldefire, Rebel Leader just to name a few where some people that helped me turn it around. Sure, I had one or two threads back then, but they were asking for help on stuff that hadn't been answered yet!

What happened to the good old days? Search sites, that's what. When I first joined, I was something like #3,037. Now look at the counter! Well over 7,000! But that doesn't always mean good things. Look at the "members" section and see how many people have fewer then 10 posts! Now I realize that even though this forum has gotten worse throughout the past year, in some sense, it's also gotten better. Matrix:Reloaded, Madskater/Nocturnal, KinoOI/Red Blue OI, and whatsupwiddat are a few new additions that have tried to help pull us out of the rut that we are clearly in. Even some oldies are coming back to try and help.

I realize that there are only so many questions that can be asked, but for the love of this site, SEARCH AND READ THE BIBLE FIRST!!! If it's not in there, wait until Matrix and WUWD finish the "Everything you ever wanted to know about high school but were too afraid to ask" thread. If it's not in there, THEN post the question. As far as all these "will not jacking it help me?" threads, look around. It's been discussed before. No need to bring it back up. If this forum is going to survive, newbies have to start pulling thier weight. First, they need to stop trying to look cool by flaming people. Then they also need to stop stealing the older Don's advice! It can be traced back morons. I think the biggest difference between now and then is: back when I first joined, the newbies wanted honest help with real situations and the older Don's where more than willing to help. But now, the newbies want to try and act like they know everything.

Older guys: The newbies need help and some of thier questions will be redundent. That's a given. BUT, instead of flaming them or saying "Read the damn bible," try and help them, otherwise, they might start to think your stuck up and will flame this board.

Newbies: For the love of god, read the damn bible! Ok, you knew that was coming :p. Honsetly, if you have nothing that's important to ask, don't ask it! "Am i a don yet?" If you have to ask, then the answer is "NO!!" Over the years, I've begun to realize that being a Don isn't about what you look like or how you act, it's already a part of you. You don't just "become one." You build it. Everyone has Don Juaness in them. Some more than others. Posting useless junk such as "If i do *this*, will *this* happen?" Why don't you go find out first!? A better topic is "I did *this* and *this* happened, need help."

That's my rant for now.

PS- WUWD, wheres the thread on how your date went and wheres the "be all, end all" post?

Eventide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats wrong with only having 10 posts?

People place too much weight on post counts. I say they make post counts hidden.

Would you rather every one of the 7000 registered users scramble to reach "Master Don Juan" status?

There'd be even more spamming just to raise post counts than there already is, the only response you'd see is "Good post!" with no real comments.

If people didn't regard postcounts so highly, people might be less likely to get all defensive. They know that they have a low post count, so they feel that to distinguish themselves they must post rampantly, flaming anyone who disagrees with them. The flames are just an attempt to earn respect and prove that they know what they're talking about, despite the count.

My 2 dollars, because you can't get much with 2 cents anymore.

By the way, Good post ;) (postcount ++)

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This should be stickied, with the title "All newbies must read this first!!!" or something. Very nice post.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol, I don't mean everyone should be saying "bump" all the time to reach MDJ status. I just mean that nearly everyone with only 10 or less posts was registered a while ago and thier posts consist of "bump", "good job", "i agree", "i'm gay", or "i need help. whats a phone number?" See where I'm getting at? As far as the high post count thing, the way I see it is, you can't get away with posting crap 1,000 times. Your either going to be banned, give up and leave, or your rep will suck anyway and no one will pay attention to you. There's my reply back. Oh yeah, bump :D.

Jester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
crazykid the HS forum is really not that bad at all.

ive been here a long time and ive seen it much, much worse than it is today.

actually, this is about the best time in my over a year of being on this site i can remember. The knowledge is much more spread out now, its just not a few elites that have a clue these days.

Then again there are some really stupid posts too lol, just boycott them tho heh.

whatsupwiddat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent. And Jester, it was the absolute best in fall 2001, when we came. Hehe. DJ Bedford, ABM, Sociopath31, anyone?

Originally posted by crazykid
PS- WUWD, wheres the thread on how your date went and wheres the "be all, end all" post?

Matrix is somewhere around 80%-90% done, I am somewhere around 30%. There are well over 1000 questions and I am grounded from the computer for now. It's gonna be a while still but I'm investing plenty of time into it.

The Antichrist_Star

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here We Go Yet Again...

Reading **** like this over and over again, only makes me more upset. First I will say to Crazykid, that he made very great points in this post... and I will be talking about the same thing basically. I remember when I first came here (I was too afraid to post because I knew I didn't know **** ;) ) and it was like a goldmine. It was my dream come true, and I was able to wake up from that horrible dream of being an Average Frustrated Chump, to the reality of the best thing since sliced bread kind of guy that I am ;) :cool:. The thing that I did not like about those times however, was that only a few people knew what they were talking about... these people (we already know who they are) will be immortalized in this forum perhaps forever. But, I have realized something funny about the past... it has just that... pasted. Most of those people are gone now, and for us to sit here and dwell on the past is futile. Is the forum currently ****... yes. But if you look at most of the other forums... they're pretty much **** too. There are obviously a lot of reasons for this, but I think the biggest reason is because a bunch of people come here to get information, go out in the field and learn a bunch of new stuff... and then ride off into the sunset. Granted, I could have easily skipped off into the regular forum when I started college... but I didn't, why? Because my heart is here. The HS forum was the very forum that changed my life, and I will be damned if I let it go to hell in a handbasket. So today I, The Matrix: Reloaded, am making a bold statement and a challenge to everyone: We can do one of two things... either piss and moan about making change... or make change. I'm challenging all of us newbies and people like Jester, myself, WUWD, RedBlue (Lorenzo), Nocturnal and the like to become new Pook's, new Anti-Dump's, new Sociopath31's, new DJBedford's, and all of the other people who made this forum what it is now. It is up to us to carry it on... so damn it let's do it.

P.S.: As a moderator, I always believe that we should set the examples, because the forums are only as good as the people who manage it. With that said, as you guys already know I'm working on that project with WUWD (C'mon man... I'm waiting) but also, I PM'ed Affinity and asked him if I can work on the HS Boot Camp with him, so I think (if I can remember correctly, he said I could join the team ;) ) I will be on that project also. And lastly, I myself am working on a very top secret project myself... not a series, I said a project. It is entitled The Matrix: Reloaded Project, and it is my hope that this will propel us into some new ways of thinking and doing. C'mon guys... let's get this **** together!

The Matrix: Reloaded

Zelemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank god the last 3 people that posted on this thread are still active in this forum...

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Matrix, first I'd like to take up as part of that "make this forum better" offer. Second, I'd like to thank you for sticking around on this forum instead of heading onto the "big league" forum, so to speak. When (or if...) I go to college (current senior in high school) I plan on lurking on this forum too, because like Matrix, this is the forum that helped me change. As far as things being in the past being just that, it's sort of important to bring that up, becuase if people see how good the posts where then, they might try and reach that level here. Oh, WUWD and Jester, the fall of '01 was the best this place has ever been. Must have been the additions :D ;).

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One quick thing for the Moderators out there: I've noticed that people have recently been putting up threads in the High School Forum AND the Discussion Forum. One example is "Did I screw up? got shopping assistants number." Is there anyway way to merge delete one thread and merge it with the other? Thanks.

UltimateScoundrel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jester
crazykid the HS forum is really not that bad at all.

ive been here a long time and ive seen it much, much worse than it is today.

actually, this is about the best time in my over a year of being on this site i can remember. The knowledge is much more spread out now, its just not a few elites that have a clue these days.

Then again there are some really stupid posts too lol, just boycott them tho heh.
Well said, i remember when i quit the forum because it was so totally useless. Oh, by the way. I'M BACK!!

jmm854

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What Jester says is true, the knowledge is more spread out, but there's an *ss load of BS being given out in advice as well. Too many people who act like they know what they're talking about but really don't have a clue.

Ah well, it's just a forum, can't really learn much here. Gotta learn from experience.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sausage fingers
how old were all of yous when you first found this site?
That question could probably be a thread in "Anything Else," but I'll answer it anyways: I was 16 when I found this site.

REDblueOI

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Originally posted by UltimateScoundrel
Well said, i remember when i quit the forum because it was so totally useless. Oh, by the way. I'M BACK!!
WELCOME BACK BABY!

Man, I remember when bedford first IMed me, askin me about some post I wrote [prolly about the spelling of something :rolleyes: ]...

Anyhoo, I must agree with jester, this forum has been WAY WORSE. In fact, it seems to be on a comeback. Full steam ahead!