Conversational skills lacking

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All this is gonna take years to fix as the other posters have suggested. For me, it was 4 years of university that did the trick. It's about developing public speaking skills, use of humor and managing the anxiety which = confidence.

It's just like the case with fear- you have to do what makes you anxious, then it will get better.

Learn to use humor- watch standup comedy or the funny people you know and see how those guys create humor. That way you are in control .

Second, educated yourself so you can offer advice and insight - puts you in control as well.

Be observant of whats going on around, note interesting, ironic, crazy things you come across.

Be bald and maybe a bit "naughty", take risk!

realtalk

Don Juan
Reaction score
War Against Betaism said:
Care to explain yourself?

Facts:

- He has social anxiety

- CBT is a proven method to beating social anxiety

- Acting overly intrigued in what someone says really is a demonstration of lower value (i.e. the guy that laughs too much at your jokes)

- If you only tell someone to listen, they are not adding anything of value to a conversation

What part of my post didn't ring true to you?

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
realtalk said:
- Acting overly intrigued in what someone says really is a demonstration of lower value (i.e. the guy that laughs too much at your jokes)
Yeah, OVERLY, if you're acting like a complete approval seeking chump that laughs like a hyena at everything the other person is saying. Laughter is the number one way to build rapport. Just because you've provided an extreme case of a way to approach conversation, does not mean you have to completely avoid it.

realtalk said:
- If you only tell someone to listen, they are not adding anything of value to a conversation
Real talk, you seriously act there is absolutely no flexibility in this approach to conversation. It's not like you're 100% asking questions all the time while you let the other person blabble their mouth away.

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am with realtalk on this one.