cold water

Snap87

Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard from people saying that if u drink cold water, it will help speed up your metabolism. Is it true?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For all intents and purposes, this is not true. I'm assuming you're thinking that if you drink lots of cold water, it will help you burn fat quicker... let's take a look at the science behind it...

I did a google search (easily done by even a 3rd-grader) for "cold water metabolism", and went to the very first result where I came across this statement:

Well, you'd have to drink a darn lot of water to make a dent. 1 Calorie = energy to raise 1 kg of water 1 degree celsius. Let's say you drink ice water = 0 C, raised to your body temperature, = 35 C or so. If you drink a gallon a day, 4 liters, that's only 140 Calories. That's a lot of water. Plus you put stress on your body drinking that much, as it has to fight to keep from losing ions. Plus you'll be going to the bathroom all the time. Maybe if you combine that with having only one bathroom on the
top story of a 10 story building with no elevator, you'd see a big effect.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/zoo00/zoo00094.htm

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just drink lots of water regularly. 3-4 litres every day you hit the gym. Less on rest days. 30% of Americans are dehydrated (forgot where I saw that. Think it was this forum though :)) And dehydration DOES affect your metabolism.

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any water intake advice for someone trying to gain weight?

Andromax

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Drink a lot of it. It depends on your body size on how much you should drink. Id say 95% of the time i get a headache, or feel like crap, its because I havent drank enough water. I'd imagine its similar for most other people.

As far as bulking up, water is just as important in bulking up as it is in slimming down, if you dont drink enough, you will see performance hits all around the board.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Certainly there is thermogeniss.... or something. But that's mainly swimming in very cold water.

This method has obvious drawbacks.

PYROTAK

Don Juan
Reaction score
basically if your pee is any color other than clear you need to drink more water.

especially when you hit that creatin then you need 3x the normal water :D

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amen to the above!

If you re trying to bulk up, drink a gallon of water a day, whether you're training or not.

a4k822

Don Juan
Reaction score
water does not effect metabolism. Eating right does. if you want to increase your metabolic rate, get your ass in the gym and start eating 5 small meals a day to keep your metabolism at a constant rate.

you do need a lot of water, especially if you're working out. But, you dont need to drink until your piss is clear, that just means you're drinking enough water to make you piss a lot.

dont taper off your water intake on rest days, rest days are more important than lift days....keep your muscles hydrated, or you're gonna overtrain and you wont get sh!t for results