Carrying a concealed handgun.....

Phenomenal One

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dust 2 Dust said:
Criminals don't need a permit to carry a firearm, but I have to get a f****** class 3 license just to walk down the street with a fully automatic weapon. That's a load of bull right there.

In this world there are 4 types of people: Sheep, Gangs, Militias, and the Prepared. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gVWA-wmrk0&feature=channel
and those same criminals get charged with carrying a gum without a permit.
there are few people who can be responsibile carrying a firearm.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BlakeW5 said:
Why not? I plan on getting mine the minute funds become available. True, you can avoid trouble most of the time, but sometimes trouble finds you. At the same time I'm well aware that I'll most likely never have to use it in a self-defense situation (and hope I never have to). At the same time I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Personally, I want every advantage I can have in every aspect of my life.

Currently I keep mine in my vehicles glove compartment (legal in KY). For that matter open carry is legal in KY too, although you can still get a "disturbing the peace" or similar charge. Anyway, I have a 4" barrel (compact) Springfield XD9 which I bought with the intention of carry.
That's my thinking, just hadn't acted yet.

How do you like the Springfield? I heard they were nice, but I'm probably going with the Glock subcompact .357.

U

user43770

Phenomenal One said:

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Did you not read my post?

Much less than 1% of the CCW holders in Florida have used their weapon to commit a violent crime.
We're talking out of about 400,000 with CCWs in FL.

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
That's my thinking, just hadn't acted yet.

How do you like the Springfield? I heard they were nice, but I'm probably going with the Glock subcompact .357.
I love it! Recoil is practically non-existent, it's accurate, and chews through just about any ammo. The thing I really like about the XD versus the glock is the grip angle, it just feels so much better in the hand. I also like the safety in the backstrap too, something the glock doesn't have. I also found that for me, when just "point aiming" I naturally brought the gun to the target. Basically the XD is just a new, improved, and better glock. Then again try both out (hell look into the XD-M too). It's a large investment so hold as many guns as you can and see what feels right.

The only thing I don't like about the gun is the 4" barrel (from concealment standpoint). It's great for accuracy and gun control but the size makes concealing it difficult if you're not a larger guy (I'm 5'5)....but not impossible.

Also, look into ammo prices. The .357 SIG is an expensive round, not to mention it's going to be REALLY hard to find with the current ammo shortage. One week after I bought my gun ammo prices doubled on some rounds. Hell, it wasn't until a month later that I found any 9mm ammo for sale (and it's usually easy to find). Even then quality defense rounds (jacketed hollow points) were $1+ per bullet:eek: . Really any caliber from 9mm up (.40, .45, .357, .44 mag, etc.) will be an effective round with todays bullet tech. It's all in the bullet design, weight (grains), and velocity.

I went 9mm due to ammo availability and cost, not to mention the ammo capacity (16+1 for the XD). I like .40 but at the same time don't. It's a proven round but I find recoil is too "snappy" for quick, accurate follow-up shots. The .45 is just too expensive, and I never tried the .357 SIG. Both .44 and .357 mag were out of the question because I don't like revolvers. Just be sure you can afford to shoot it enough to get good and accurate. The deadliest bullet in the world is useless if it doesn't hit anything

Scuba

Don Juan
Reaction score
Phenomenal One said:
I disagree with you 100%. When you travel outside of NY/NJ I don't think you have any idea how many people are truly armed. You can look up various state websites about how many CCW permits are issued annually, I think Fl is leading right now at around 200,000 permits last year, and they are good for 7 years.

The thing is, concealed means concealed so you really will never have any idea.

Scuba

Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
I have thought about getting a permit for a conceal-carry. Many others are doing it now, I guess due to the recession and imminent crime increase that comes with it. I am having reservations about this, though.

First, my home is well protected. I've been around guns all my life, and have plenty protecting my house. You fvck with my family you will die.
I would never intentionally kill someone. I would easily shoot center mass until the threat stopped. The intention is to stop the threat, not kill. Threat may likely die but he/she/it made the choice.

But to carry one on me sort of scares me. I am of the belief that if you are aware of your surroundings, and you use your head about where to go, you can pretty much take yourself out of harms way 99% of the time. Ie don't be stupid.
Mostly true, but what about the other 1% of the time? You only get one life, protect it.

And, if you pull a gun on someone, you'd better be willing to use it, because you can bet that the guy coming to commit a crime towards you is willing to use his piece, in a life or death situation.
Of course, never ever pull it unless your in imminent danger of great bodily harm/death or the laws of your state.

Scuba

Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
I think it's nice to have a concealed carry permit. That doesn't mean you have to carry the firearm at all times or at all. It would be nice to be able to legally have your hand gun stashed in your car's center console for instance.
I am of the firm belief that one should carry everywhere legal. You never know when you may need it. If you only carry when you think you may need it, you shouldn't go there anyway!

Scuba

Don Juan
Reaction score
horaholic said:
Be aware that cops will pull your ass over if they run your plates and a CCP shows up. Thats what I've been told by people who have them. Cops will use that as an excuse to pull you over. Just let that be known.
I've never heard that before. Yes, in some states your license and CCW permit are tied together and you must inform police upon first contact. There are endless stories of people getting off easier because they had one. Reasons include talking to the cop for a while about guns or even that you have passed a deep background check and clearly are not a criminal.

Scuba

Don Juan
Reaction score
Phenomenal One said:
other than having a gun in you house for protection,
people should'nt have axcess to firearms.

most people are ready to harm others over to most small things, stories of murders in inner cities should tell us that.
So I only have a right to defend my life in my home?

CCW holders are law abiding citizens, not murderers. A convicted criminal can not get a permit.

Scuba

Don Juan
Reaction score
Phenomenal One said:
(i don't know if they do this) but there needs to be psychological testing for people who want to own a gun, even people who have a responsibility to protect others.
And I think people that throw out ignorant statements like this need psychological testing to exercise their first amendment rights.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from would be threats. Its my right as a US citizen and luckily I dont live in NY or CA where thugs run the streets armed regardless.