Car question

LivA

Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, guys, here I am again, asking non Don Juan questions, but I tried the automotive board, but I guess it's because I'm a girl. Anyway, here is the questions I posted:

Make/Model: 2003 Grand Prix GTP

My problem started intermittently, but now it is constant, unless I start the car with the AC/heater off. Symptoms:

1. AC/heater does not work.
2. Rear defogger not working.
3. Driver information not working.
4. Heated seat not working.
5. DRL not working.

What I have tried:
1. Checked the fuse box in the glove box. Checked the fuse labeled DIC/HVAC, which controls the above-listed components. The fuse was fine. The prongs were a little brown. So, I replaced it with a spare fuse inside the fuse box under the hood. It was a 15 amp fuse.
2. Looked at each of the fuses in the glove box, all were fine.
3. Looked at the fuses under the hood, all were fine.

I called Pontiac, and was told there were reported problems, not my car model specifically, of the instrument panel cluster. However, my speedometer, etc. works, just the above-listed components.

I called a dealership and was told that it could be a shortage, something loose, etc., and told to bring it in for diagnostic. I thought maybe something might be corroded or something.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

LivA

Don Juan
Reaction score
Suggested so far:

Ignition switch/harness assembly.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that you drive a Pontiac. Aging GM cars have all kinds of problems.

now it is constant, unless I start the car with the AC/heater off.

All you have to do to not have problems is have the heat off when you start the car? That's pretty easy. Heat and AC should be off when starting the engine anyway.

You likely have a short or bad wiring or a bad relay somewhere. It's probably a $5 part that might cost you $500 in labor to have a mechanic spend the time required to track down the problem. I had an electrical problem and went to a dealership five times; they said it was fixed each time, but it never was. Eventually they just gave up. I got a shade tree mechanic to creatively engineer around the problem. Yours seems easy to fix in that sense - just don't have the heat on when you start the car.

LivA

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, even if I don't have those when I start it, it does it sometimes.

If at all possible, I do not want to go to any dealerships or mechanics. I'm a girl, and well, you know.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As if being a guy is some sort of a guarantee against getting ripped off? Mention in passing that your husband is an attorney :)

I have a great mechanic, whom I trust very much. I told him I trusted him because I saw the big Jesus tattoos up and down his arms. Maybe that's naive, but so far so good; the guy has a conscience, which is just as important in not getting ripped off as your own astuteness. That, and he knows I'd sue him if he pissed me off.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look on craigslist.org in the services area for a mechanic, they tend to be honest"er" and won't charge you $80 an hour for labor. I got some great deals and service by going through there. I love craigslist.

LivA

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
As if being a guy is some sort of a guarantee against getting ripped off? Mention in passing that your husband is an attorney :)

I have a great mechanic, whom I trust very much. I told him I trusted him because I saw the big Jesus tattoos up and down his arms. Maybe that's naive, but so far so good; the guy has a conscience, which is just as important in not getting ripped off as your own astuteness. That, and he knows I'd sue him if he pissed me off.
What has worked for me so far is just getting information about the problem that I am having, with possible resolutions to present to the mechanic or whomever.

Anyway, thanks for the info.