Bulking but i need to be fit

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
My body size is naturally skinny But iv put on lots of muscle through weights. Iv heard cardio is bad if a skinny guy it trying to bulk and this leads me to my problem. Im starting back boxing soon. And I need to get my fitness levels right the way up but i still want to bulk and get bigger. My cardio fintess needs to be good and there will be lots of cardio when i start boxing again.

How can I get/stay ring fit and still bulk at the same time?

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's basically too hard for most people unless genetics allow.

Masses of food and rest are key.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cardio isn't bad if you eat and do INTENSE cardio which will also benefit you as a boxer, I should know, I am one too.

Do your weights, finish your session with some INTENSE Conditioning for 10-15-20 minutes.
On your non-weights days, do the same, brief, INTENSE sessions.

Eat a lot of good food, and I do mean a lot.

Brief intense sessions will condition you for boxing better than slow, long cardio, and will not get in the way of any muscle gains.

On the other hand, if you're doing bodybuilding training, have gained 10-15 pounds of nice pump sarcoplasmic muscle in the offseason, I'd give you about 3 weeks then you'll be back to where you were if you're training properly.

Inseason with PROPER training and conditioning, you can't expect to grow a lot bigger or a lot stronger, it depends on your priorities.
You can maintain strength and mass inseason with food and strength training. If you want to put on a lot of muscle, AND be BETTER conditioned and train for boxing too you will have some difficulty, unless you're on steroids and/or black.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MrS covered it in great detail, and wolf gave the cliff notes version. :D

One thing I'll add is that doing cardio is necessary for EVERYONE and people who tell skinny guys not to do cardio if they want to bulk up need shooting. Proper cardio when trying to grow will accelerate your gains, not hinder them. Even a guy with ****ty muscle building genetics will benefit from a few cardio sessions a week.

What's more, bulking up is NOT an excuse to be unfit. What's the point in gaining 10-20lbs if you get winded walking up the stairs? You're just compromising your cardiovascular health and unless you're pushing the extreme end of the size spectrum (250-300lbs) you have no business not being conditioned and fit, even if you are growing.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would you guys consider crossfit-style workouts to be high intensity cardio?

One of the conditioning things I do on push/pull day is:

pull-ups (try or 20+)
then 20-25 push-ups
then 5/side one-leg squats.
Rest as required between these.
I'll do some box jumps or something after depending on the equipment I have around.

I try and do 3 rounds of these. Usually it'll take me 10-15 minutes to finish this.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys loving all the advice. Im not going to over think this.

Going to stick to my heavy weight training sessions Mon Wens And Friday

Thurs and Tues Mabye Sun will muay muay thai boxing at my gym 1 to 2 hour sessions each time.

I don't want and have no intention on becoming one of the best boxers around im 24 and good muay thai fighters have a very short shelf life. And mine would nearly be up with me being in my mid 20's. That said I want to be the best I can be for confidence reasons and prove to myself that I can get back into the ring. I feel Iv let myself down by quitting about 2 years ago.