Bulk or Cut first?

SynTheUnscathed

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am around 5'10 206 pounds, mildly overweight, soft.

I am about to change my physique but I am not sure whether to cut up first or start getting more mass.

I am wide, kinda stocky, so I am thinking Cutting up first since I will look better faster.

Any thoughts?

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMHO go on a cut. So then when you start bulking you'll have a lean base to work with and bodyfat won't be a huge factor.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cut first. If you're new to weightlifting you'll probably add a little muscle in the process too.

ghostin

Don Juan
Reaction score
5'10 206 is pretty big. I would suggest cutting down first, but not overly quickly so u can try to keep muscle mass as u do it

Vampire

Don Juan
Reaction score
As a bodybuilding "noob" you don't need to be as concerned with bulking and cutting cycles. Lift heavy, do some cardio, and have an ultra clean diet. You will lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time, I promise.

Have your caloric intake be only slightly lower than your caloric output (probably 300-500/day) and you'll be on your way. Stick with whole foods like oatmeal, brown rice, vegetables, fruits, and lean meats.

A friend of mine went from a soft 215 to a cut and much stronger 180 in about 3-4 months. He gained some noticeable muscle too (I imagine around 7-10lbs) so his overall fat loss was closer to 30 pounds.

Only when you really start tapping into your body's potential should you be concerned about bulking and cutting.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SynTheUnscathed you sound about like me. I'm 5'9, 190lbs and I'm kind of in the same boat.

But yeah, I'm going to start with the cutting program in a few weeks, when work settles down (working 16hr days right now.)

SynTheUnscathed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ghostin
5'10 206 is pretty big. I would suggest cutting down first, but not overly quickly so u can try to keep muscle mass as u do it

Nah, I aint that big, I just have really dense muscles. Mostly in my butt, legs. I can actually see my abs and obliques now, it just is blurry, and not sharp and defined.

I just got this Ebook, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle...and it is the most comprehensive thing I have ever read. Starting it as soon as I get some money to get my right foods.

SynTheUnscathed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see them. But they arent ripped....that doesnt make sense?

I am not overweight...to most people...to me I am though because I am not lean as I want to be. Most people would not consider me overweight...but of course I am very hard on myself.:(

steroidsrule

Don Juan
Reaction score
bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk why cut fat into nothing.. use that potential energy contained in your fat to pack on a ton of muscle first... i dont understand why everyone wants to cut into nothing... hes not overweight by any means... put on some muscle first

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, but what if you bulk, then cut, and you find out you're more muscled up than you like?

you might cut and then decide "i like the way i look right now" and not need to bulk again.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SynTheUnscathed

I just got this Ebook, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle...and it is the most comprehensive thing I have ever read. Starting it as soon as I get some money to get my right foods.
I just got it a couple of days ago, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I have trouble reading it though, my attention span is pretty short with eBooks.
....Hey, how bout them Lakers?

SynTheUnscathed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by reyalp
I just got it a couple of days ago, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I have trouble reading it though, my attention span is pretty short with eBooks.
....Hey, how bout them Lakers?
Yeah, at first its a tiring read. Get down to the last few chapters and thats what you need. How to set up your meals. Exactly what foods to eat at what times. The best way to do Cardio. And the Weightlighting programs.

Of course, the diet is the most important part of any lean lifestyle.

DO EET! I am. I am gonna post some pictures of my body now. and in 3 months.

When I get a camera...

El MonoLoco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey I just got BFFM too!!!

I'm starting the program on the 1st of March and I have to be back in the gym by June....

I'm about 20 lbs overweight.....6'4" about 220 ( have to buy a scale though to be sure)

I'm gonna totally cut first then try to build from their. I'd rather see the fat go first then try to build muscle under the fat.

I was 12% body fat in High School.....I'm workin my way to 9%

I also just started to organize some recipes for the program if you want I can send you a couple......

:rockon:

SynTheUnscathed

Don Juan
Reaction score
El MonoLoco said:
Hey I just got BFFM too!!!

I'm starting the program on the 1st of March and I have to be back in the gym by June....

I'm about 20 lbs overweight.....6'4" about 220 ( have to buy a scale though to be sure)

I'm gonna totally cut first then try to build from their. I'd rather see the fat go first then try to build muscle under the fat.

I was 12% body fat in High School.....I'm workin my way to 9%

I also just started to organize some recipes for the program if you want I can send you a couple......

:rockon:

Heck yeah man, send away.:up: