Building Social Value

inter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a junior in high school right now, and I'm trying to build people's perception of me, but I'm pretty much stuck. Well to make a long story short i was a HUGE chubby nerd back in middle school and freshman year, I guess I still am, but I don't make it quite as obvious anymore. Anyway I lost the weight and the glass and got a sense of style with a unique twist (I wear a black cord with a safety pin on it tightly around my neck). With all of this I have increased my social standing, but it still hasn't all come to me. Everyone I usually talk with likes me, but I'm stuck in a rut, I only talk to the same people everyday as my schedule dictates and I'm pretty terrible with new ones.

Basically, I'm looking for help with a couple things:

1. Completely shaking the nerd reputation I have earned over the years. I'm still a smart guy, I just try not to make it so obvious. I have improved a lot in this area, but a lot of people just aren't willing to let that view of me down.

2. Turning some of my "cool" guy and girl friends that I joke around with in school into out of school friends. This has been a pretty big road block for me, everyone loves to joke around with me, but when party time comes around I'm always forgotten and as a result I really hang out with my old friends all of whom are pretty much losers and quite frankly most of them annoy the shizz out of me.

3. Meeting new people . . . I'm kind of shy, I've been working on that a bit, but my big problem is I really have nothing to say, my life isn't really interesting and I have a tough time coming up with anything to talk about with someone I don't know at all. A big problem with this is my former nerdiness, I missed out on all the team sports that take years to develop skills in.

Another thing, I need some ideas for what to do with people in a small, very uninteresting town. Only around 5000 people live here total and there is really almost NOTHING to do. Really my only hobby is making hilarious movies with my friends, that helps my rep a bit and makes me seem funny, but when I get one on one with people I have no idea what to do for a good time (i.e. me and my closest chick friend (not a potential date) sat around in my car for around an hour trying to think of something to do, eventually just coming back to my house to chill). I really need some real interests and hobbies, but in a town as small as mine there really isnt much to do besides play sports and like I said before I pretty much missed that train already. . .

Thanks to the guys who read this and to everyone else . . . well who gives an eff about them anyway . . .eh?

-Inter

Rocko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, you said that you only see the same people everyday. A thing i did to get rid of this, was I walked from class to class, but taking a route i normally don't. Using the basic steps of the DJ bible, you can go from there. (Smile, eye contact, hi...) By talking to strangers, or even saying hi to them, they will build up a respect for you, and you will help build a rapport for yourself. Also, unless your a BRAIN, theres no need to dumb it down. Random inteligent facts are interesting and people will begin to listen to you. To get some of your "cool" friends to hang out after and party, just ask em what they are doing this weekend, if they're not busy, tell them "I'll hit you up this weekend" or w/e feels right with you. You can normally get their number and go from there.

A good way to break the ice in a conversation is to eiter ask questions (hypothetical or serious) or you can state a random fact and go from there

Do you live in the middle of no where? or what, can you please be more specific, cause what you can do is either:

Go camping
Snowboarding / skiing if you live in the snow
Go to the beach, if there is one nearby
DRIVE AROUND (omg, so much fun, and it makes an interesting story, such as, "I went driven the other day down blank and I drove up this mountain that took me out to the middle of no where, it was crazy; i saw blank and blank...more blank

You can also talk about how much fun you and your friends have, fun / funny experiences / TV shows, or movies in your case

inter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far guys, I'm getting there . . . Hanging out with some of my "cooler" friends this weekend.

Bump for more advice.