Building muscle without any weights?

kevin1198

Don Juan
Reaction score
im 6 ft 3, and 141 pounds.
im trying to find a way to gain some healthy weight to fill in my body better, and build muscles at the same time.

I dont have access to a gym around here, the nearest one is a ways away, and my parents stopped taking me to save gas. I also dont have enough money to afford a weight bench, so all i have is that iron gym bar, and some 15 pound dumbbells.

also i can never gain the weight so i can have the muscles that i want. and whatever weight i do gain, goes straight to my stomach for about 3 days, then goes away, im hoping to gain some healthy weight to fill in my body more and help me get bigger muscles.

can any of you guys help me out? im new to this kind of stuff. and the first stickied post didnt help alot.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
San Jose California said:
with running, pushups, situps, pullups, you don't even need a gym
You won't be putting on 30-50lbs of muscle with pushups and situps...

To OP:

Go get a part time job.

Buy a bicycle.

Buy a gym membership.

Go to gym.

56andre

Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
You won't be putting on 30-50lbs of muscle with pushups and situps...

To OP:

Go get a part time job.

Buy a bicycle.

Buy a gym membership.

Go to gym.
I never go to the gym but still getting bulked.

At home I got:

-dumb bell

-bar bell

-bench press with leg press at the end (or whatever you call it)

-sit up bench

All I do is bench press, bicep curl, tricep extension, work out my legs (all muscle groups), sit up, reverse sit up.

For my arms I don't do more than 8 reps & less than 4 reps.

For my legs I do no more than 30reps.

Sit ups about 30 reps (with 3 kg of weights held at my head)

Reverse sit ups I do 40 (with 3 kg of weights held at my head)

All the equipment I've got is no more than $300, although I'd admit that the bench press is of $hit quality but still does the job!

Also a lot of second hand shops have exercise equipment, look for the weights.

For food all you do is google "muscle foods" & there will be a lot of sites that will have top 10 muscle foods, or top 30 or whatever (a constant no.1 that tops the list is eggs, high in nutrients & raises testosterone)!!!

Don't strain yourself with what colourise your taking or BMI or all that crap, get a mirror & look in it, that’s more honest than all the technical bull$it.

Oh yea, don't get me started with all that supplement bull$it either!!!

If someone says you can get rip'd within 4 weeks or whatever, there a salesman.

kevin1198

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys, i've been doing pushups situps, etc.
it's hard to find a part time job here in kingsland, not even my mom can find one. (already have a bicycle though)

im setting aside my dirtbike funds for a home weight set, since im turning our shed into my chill place, ill have some space to work out in. so eventually ill have a weight set in place, hopefully before summer.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
These guys are saying what is true, you need to lift progressively heavier weights and eat more to gain a lot of weight.

However I think there is a tendency to leave it at that and say you have no options. At 6 3" 140, you should be able to gain some weight without lifting iron. It won't be as productive and it won't be much, but at least you can prepare for when you can get to the gym.

Pressups and chinups are a great place to start. Aim for something like 15 full bw chin ups and then start adding weight in a backpack. Add the dumbbell, big books, and whatever heavy s*** you find lying around. If you can get to 30-40lbsx5 at your home, your already way ahead of the curve. Just keep adding as much weight as you can and when you can't add more, add reps and sets.

Same for pressups, which you should be able to do more off. Once you get to 15-20, add weight to a backpack and do sets of 5-8 reps. When you can't add weight, keep adding reps. One arm pressups are another way to go.

I did pressups and chinups from 12-15 although I didn't add weight, just went for reps, and I was stronger than all my friends- it does make a difference. But adding weight will get you stronger and aid in weight gain.

It would be a good idea to try and build up to a one leg squat and start doing them as well.

A good site for this stuff is www.rosstraining.com. He has a book dedicated to just bw training.

You also add in cardio 3-4 times a week and get a good conditioning base. This will help immensley when you start lifting weights.

Now all you need to do is add protein, beef and eggs are best. Start off slow and don't go to high over maintenance calories. If you use margarine start using butter, saturated fat is not only good it is essential. You want a good amount of fat split evenly between mono/poly/sat. It is the fat/cholestrol in your diet which is needed to make testosterone and your sex hormones. More of these means more anabolism, which is means more muscle.

Good luck,

Quagmire

old married dude

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In addition to some type of weight training/pushups/pullups, etc. you're going to need some good supplements to help bulk up being 6'3" and 140 lbs. Check out bodybuilding.com for some help with supplements.

Wow, I thought I was too skinny being 5'8" and 147 pounds lol.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
old married dude said:
In addition to some type of weight training/pushups/pullups, etc. you're going to need some good supplements to help bulk up being 6'3" and 140 lbs. Check out bodybuilding.com for some help with supplements.
He needs as much milk and meat as his finances and stomach capacity allows.

Supplements are exactly that, supplementary. They are not needed unless he is not making progress with training and a high protien high calorie diet.

Cure.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a backpack, fill it with gravel, go running up a hill for a few minutes. If your legs aren't burning put more gravel in.

Sandbags as weights work great. Look up some exercises.

Got a harness? Strap yourself in and tow a car down the street.

etc. There's lots of stuff you can do.

kevin1198

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cure said:
He needs as much milk and meat as his finances and stomach capacity allows.

Supplements are exactly that, supplementary. They are not needed unless he is not making progress with training and a high protien high calorie diet.

Cure.
thanks for the advice cure, and old married dude.
i've been working on my diet and calculating my protein and calorie intakes, it turns out i barely hit 2,000 calories on a regular day (and i thought i ate alot)
and less than 80 grams of protein. now im counting my calories and making sure i get the correct amount of protein a day. also got some creatine as well to use post workout.

(By the way, anyone know a good calf exercise i can do? i've got chicken legs and im hoping i can build them up)

Blank

Don Juan
Reaction score
kevin1198 said:
thanks for the advice cure, and old married dude.
i've been working on my diet and calculating my protein and calorie intakes, it turns out i barely hit 2,000 calories on a regular day (and i thought i ate alot)
and less than 80 grams of protein. now im counting my calories and making sure i get the correct amount of protein a day. also got some creatine as well to use post workout.

(By the way, anyone know a good calf exercise i can do? i've got chicken legs and im hoping i can build them up)
Do calf raises for your calves. Basically you go from standing flat footed, to standing on the balls of your feet, back to standing flat footed. Add weight with a back pack or holding a dumbbell. Try doing one leg at a time.

You should invest in a good protein supplement, it will help you out a lot for post workout meals.

Honestly, if you really want to gain a lot of mass, you need to go to a gym. You will quickly out grow any type of weight set you buy for your house.

I've been lifting for about six months and my last set of deadlifts was 325lbs. I don't have enough weight to do my legs or back at home anymore, haven't for a while. I can do my chest but only if I do flys/dumbbell bench press supersets for my pecs. Not enough weight for a flat benchpress.

Unless you can get a squat wrack (or leg press machine), bench and several hundred pounds of weight, you're much better off going to a gym.

mettstraw

Reaction score
Hello kevin,
There are three ways:
1. Pull-ups. Build back & arms muscles. Doorway pull-up bars or any surface where you can hang from work. If you can’t do one rep with correct pull-up technique: use momentum, ask someone to help you or use a resistance band to assist you on the way up.
2. Push-ups. Build chest, shoulders & arm muscles. Use a full range of motion: arms locked on the way up, nose against the floor on the way down. Put your knees on the floor if you can’t do one push-up. Switch to regular push-ups when this gets easy.
3. Squats. Build leg muscles. Put your hands behind your head & bend through your knees. Keep your heels on the floor, push your knees out, look forward & squeeze your glutes on the way up. Stretch your hamstrings 3 times a week if you can’t squat lower than parallel.