BowFlex

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TurfDawg
What's everybodys opinion of Bow Flex? Has anybody ever used it before?
I've used one. If you get it, make sure it has enough weight for you. I've used an older one, but for leg exercises I had all the "power rods" hooked up and it still wasn't enough. The thing I like the most about it is it feels difficult to use momentum to lift. I don't know why it feels like that, it just did to me. If you do the workouts and put in the time, I'm sure you can get the same/similar results to lifting with regular weights. Resistance from power rods is not much different than resistance from gravity. It is slightly different, because gravity pulls straight down, the power rods pull the handles toward the pulley, which may or may not be straight down. Say you're doing shoulder press on bowflex and you lift straight up - it's the same as doing it with weights. But if the weight moves forward or backward, instead of pulling straight down (like gravity), the bowflex pulls it down and back toward the pulley.

2 concerns
1 - make sure you can do all the exercises you want to do.
2 - the weight-equivalent they give you may not be accurate (ie, if your bench is 225, you may be able to do 275 on bowflex.

crowes22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree w/ livin large. A buddy of mine had one, a new one and we both used it.

Theyr'e expensive, but cool if you like workin out at home.

I doubt anything can beat free weights, I think they give the truest results.

But I was surprised that w/ bowflex it felt as if you did still have to use the balancing muscles like you do w/ free weights. I still got sore as I do using free weights on all the upper body exercises,and saw results.

But on the leg execrcises, it didn't seem to be enough weight, you still got a workout. But like on the squat for ex., I could do more than I can w/ free weights. His came w/ 210 lbs. stock. I could do it all day long. 210 isn't shyt on squat, but it felt alot less than 210 free weights. Says you can order more rods to bring it up tp 410 lbs. I have a feeling most guys here could do that all day long on squat w/ bowflex, that was really my only complaint. But I have'nt used one w/ that much weight so I don't really don't know.

I didn't have complaints on the upper body stuff, but w/ legs you'll probably need to order more weight, unless you just want to tone the legs, I guess.

Didn't seem a bad deal to me if you like having the ability to work out at home, but if you don't mind going to a gym, I say stick w/ that .

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The US Marines must train with them for a reason, right? And what about the SWAT team?
Let's nip this kettlebell thing in the bud. You say that the US Marines (and other groups) use them, so they must be good. But that argument is a bunch of crap. We are trying to build big muscles. The marines are not interested in big muscles.

If they are so good, then why don't more people use them?

Also, you posted your lifts earlier, and your squat was like 20 pounds more than your bench. I dont think that says good things about kettlebells. They are a joke, and a year from now you are going to wish you hadnt wasted your time with them.

Anyways, on to Bowflex. I'd say it's a decent machine, but it isnt worth the price. You could probably buy a bench, power rack, barbell, and some weights for the same amount if not less.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
-----Let's nip this kettlebell thing in the bud. You say that the US Marines (and other groups) use them, so they must be good. But that argument is a bunch of crap. We are trying to build big muscles. The marines are not interested in big muscles.-----

Like I said if you want big muscles, check out http://www.mymaxtrainer.com/kettlebells.html and check out the pic of the guy cleaning the 144 pounder. That guy has big guns. Kettlebells are good for supplementing a workout of anyone who wants to be big because the high intensity and the amount of simultaneous muscle works causes GH and testostorone to pump into the body naturally.

-----If they are so good, then why don't more people use them?-----

Cuz nobody knew what the hell they were 'til Pavel exposed them to America. But they are growing quite fast, despite being too hardcore for many Americans' taste.

-----Also, you posted your lifts earlier, and your squat was like 20 pounds more than your bench. I dont think that says good things about kettlebells. They are a joke, and a year from now you are going to wish you hadnt wasted your time with them.-----

WTF are you smoking? My squat is about 130 pounds higher than my bench, probably 140 now. My max bench is 170 cuz I never work on it. My max squat is 298. Yeah, that's 20 pounds, math genius.

-----Anyways, on to Bowflex. I'd say it's a decent machine, but it isnt worth the price. You could probably buy a bench, power rack, barbell, and some weights for the same amount if not less.-----

Agreed.

-----Aparently our foreign friend doesn't understand analogies.-----

I do. I just don't see what the point of that one was. It's a bad comparison.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The guy in that kettlebells picture is fat, and he's wearing dockers and hiking boots. Not exactly the model I would have chosen...

I think we've hit the bowflex thing pretty much on the head. You can still get a pretty good workout with it, but going to the gym is better.
Big N:
Anyways, on to Bowflex. I'd say it's a decent machine, but it isnt worth the price. You could probably buy a bench, power rack, barbell, and some weights for the same amount if not less.
I think you're probably right. If somebody wanted to buy a bowflex, it would be for space and ease of setting it up. It is probably not the most economical way to get a complete workout in your house, but it may be the most space efficient. One more good thing I'll say about it is the fact that the machine isn't very heavy. You can get 300 lbs of resistance on a system that weighs like 75 pounds. This may be beneficial to some people.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look at all the time those kettleballers spent with kettleballs, and they look decent. You can spend the same time with real weights and look good and probably be stronger. Most BBers certainly clean over 144lbs.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Soshyopathe
Look at all the time those kettleballers spent with kettleballs, and they look decent. You can spend the same time with real weights and look good and probably be stronger. Most BBers certainly clean over 144lbs.
I'm looking better and better from kettlebells than I was from "real" weights. I do use both though, and I wake up more sore in the morning than I ever have using only barbells. I'm losing a lot of fat and becoming more and more rock solid with K-bells, even though my weight has stayed relatively the same. I can clean 204 (haven't tried more than that), but cleaning a KB with one hand a whole different animal.

The guy in that kettlebells picture is fat, and he's wearing dockers and hiking boots. Not exactly the model I would have chosen...
Probably because he's more powerlifterish, not really a bodybuilder. If you can't see the MUSCLE he has though, you're blind. What does how he dresses have to do with lifting the weight? He's the guy that MADE the 144 pounder. Most of the thickness this guy has on his body is not fat, I'll guarantee that. The dockers don't show it well but him cleaning that monster does. His biceps and forearms are pure muscle (especially forearms, cuz he's a blackbelt judoka).

Arod161

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bowflew is a pretty terrible workout if you ask me. It doesn't match the strength curve of your body. Lifting weights is the best workout you can get...plain and simple. The Bowflex will make you stronger but it will take much longer.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ Girevik
I'm looking better and better from kettlebells than I was from "real" weights.
Do a little math, jackhole. Anything you gained from weights carried over to kettleballs, so of course you are better now than you were.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Soshyopathe
Do a little math, jackhole. Anything you gained from weights carried over to kettleballs, so of course you are better now than you were.
You know what I meant, kid. I meant AFTER I STARTED USING KETTLEBELLS. Geez someone's a little dense today. First week of kettlebelling, I worked out ONLY with k-bells. Results = better than previous week, which was only barbells. Is it that hard to understand or do I need to explain again?

darkhorse

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the Weider Crossbow machine? At ~$499 it's just a fraction of what Bowflex costs and is supposedly supposed to give just as good (if not better, if you believe the hype) a workout as Bowflex.

One of the main things that turns me off about these machines is the Mickey Mouse way that you do some of the exercises. The Leg Extension is a perfect example - you hook on a belt and use the sliding seat to pull you away from the bows. Looks kind of awkward. Any opinions on this?

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
-----Let's nip this kettlebell thing in the bud. You say that the US Marines (and other groups) use them, so they must be good. But that argument is a bunch of crap. We are trying to build big muscles. The marines are not interested in big muscles.-----

Like I said if you want big muscles, check out http://www.mymaxtrainer.com/kettlebells.html and check out the pic of the guy cleaning the 144 pounder. That guy has big guns. Kettlebells are good for supplementing a workout of anyone who wants to be big because the high intensity and the amount of simultaneous muscle works causes GH and testostorone to pump into the body naturally.

Cuz nobody knew what the hell they were 'til Pavel exposed them to America. But they are growing quite fast, despite being too hardcore for many Americans' taste.

-----Also, you posted your lifts earlier, and your squat was like 20 pounds more than your bench. I dont think that says good things about kettlebells. They are a joke, and a year from now you are going to wish you hadnt wasted your time with them.-----

WTF are you smoking? My squat is about 130 pounds higher than my bench, probably 140 now. My max bench is 170 cuz I never work on it. My max squat is 298. Yeah, that's 20 pounds, math genius.

-----Anyways, on to Bowflex. I'd say it's a decent machine, but it isnt worth the price. You could probably buy a bench, power rack, barbell, and some weights for the same amount if not less.-----

Agreed.

I'm in with unorthodox way of training just to encourage fun in working out. But don't you think you can do the same thing with dumbells?

And by the way, Boxflex is too expensive compared to what they are claiming.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aztec
I'm in with unorthodox way of training just to encourage fun in working out. But don't you think you can do the same thing with dumbells?
Yeah, I already said you could do that...

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Agreed.

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. That dude in the picture had little/no muscle. I was at least expecting someone huge to back up your lost cause. Like I said, we are interested in HUGE-ASS MUSCLES. That is why we train with dumbells and barbells. Instead of pointing you to the marines, SWAT teams, and fat high school dropouts, I'll point you to Ronnie Coleman. If Kettlebells are optimal for muscle growth, then why don't America's most successful bodybuilders use them?

Also, I'm noticing a pattern of misinformation and dodging questions. For instance, by dodging my question about the marines, you basically acknowledged that your analogy was wack. Also, you state that Kettlebells release GH. Whoopdie doo, man. Barbell squats release GH. Also, you try to link muscle soreness with the effectiveness of kettlebells. But, I have read numerous times that muscle soreness is a bad sign, and is not an indicator of growth.

Peace

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Big N,

Ronnie Coleman?? I gotta call you out on that one, bro..

Ronnie Coleman is not only a steroid fiend. But he is a genetic freak. He could get huge on a Soloflex, not to mention kettlebells.

However, I think you are hitting the nail on the head with this. Pavel trains for functionality. Bodybuilders train for size and aesthetics, primarily. Kettlebells are dope if you want to become a lean, (15 inch. biceps), mean killing machine. But if you want to get enormous, boys, YOU HAVE TO HIT THE HEAVY IRON.

One last thing, Big N, to the newbies, size is all relative, 16 in. guns are big to these kids, which to a more experienced lifter is tiny.. so just keep that in mind when surfing this forum... just cut them some slack.. they just wanna learn.

peace,
D

The Edge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drex
Well if you are on a high protein diet supplementing with creatine and ZMA then you are farting a LOT, so I guess it does have some relevence :D
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!:D

The Edge 'Some have it and some don't'

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
-----I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. That dude in the picture had little/no muscle.-----

Okay, so that means you're blind to anyone who's not a roid monster. Ok, got it. *jots notes* Let me guess, Steve Reeves has little to no muscle too?

-----I was at least expecting someone huge to back up your lost cause. Like I said, we are interested in HUGE-ASS MUSCLES. That is why we train with dumbells and barbells. Instead of pointing you to the marines, SWAT teams, and fat high school dropouts, I'll point you to Ronnie Coleman. If Kettlebells are optimal for muscle growth, then why don't America's most successful bodybuilders use them?-----

Because they train only for cosmetic reasons, NOT FOR ACTUAL STRENGTH. I'm pretty sure that if Dave Bellomo used as many steroids as Ronnie Coleman does, he could gain abnormally huge muscle growth out of em too. I don't particularly give a crap what you're looking for either, because when I compared kbells to bowflex, I was talking about in FUNCTIONALITY and PRICE.

-----Also, I'm noticing a pattern of misinformation and dodging questions.-----

Coming from the same mathematical genius who told me my squat is 20 pounds over my bench, and was off by about 120 pounds.

-----For instance, by dodging my question about the marines, you basically acknowledged that your analogy was wack.-----

You didn't even ASK a question about the Marines. You just made a comment. Learn to pay attention better.

-----Also, you state that Kettlebells release GH. Whoopdie doo, man. Barbell squats release GH.-----

In other news, Bill Gates owns Microsoft. What's cheaper though, a couple k-bells or a barbell and 8 different kilo plates?

-----Also, you try to link muscle soreness with the effectiveness of kettlebells. But, I have read numerous times that muscle soreness is a bad sign, and is not an indicator of growth.-----

I'm sure whoever wrote what you read is full of it, then.