Bench Press?

Romeo1

Don Juan
Reaction score
My Question is,What are the benifits of having a spotter? and what are the benifits of doing the bench bress without a spotter? :wave:

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having a spotter = go heavier, to failure and increase physical exertion.

No spotter = playing it safe, not as intense of a workout.

A spotter may not be required though, it depends on your goal. If you just want to cut, or if you're aiming for muscular endurance, you will probably be doing more sets of lighter weights and can get away with not having a spotter.

If you are powerlifting or bulking, you're going to have to go heavy with low reps, closer to your max. And having a spotter is very beneficial in these circumstances.

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I work out at home so I never have a spotter. It's happened a few times that I had to roll the bar off my chest, but usually I can sense when I'm likely to fail (on the last rep of the last set or two) so I cheat a little on that rep to make sure I can get it back up.

There's no evidence saying that going to failure is beneficial for strength gain so I don't think I'm detracting much from the workout by doing that.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lust said:
If you just want to cut, or if you're aiming for muscular endurance, you will probably be doing more sets of lighter weights
Wrong, more reps/sets of lighter weight do not "cut".

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mikeyb said:
I work out at home so I never have a spotter. It's happened a few times that I had to roll the bar off my chest, but usually I can sense when I'm likely to fail (on the last rep of the last set or two) so I cheat a little on that rep to make sure I can get it back up.

There's no evidence saying that going to failure is beneficial for strength gain so I don't think I'm detracting much from the workout by doing that.
You're playing a very dangerous game. I used to do the same thing (anticipate my last rep, roll the bar off my chest if I fail) until one time my arm collapsed under the bar without warning, and the bar came down on my face. Luckily I managed to slip my head out from underneath it. Had the bar landed any lower I wouldn't have been able to get my head out from under it, and I'd be dead.

If you work out at home, get a power rack or something that will keep you from dieing when you finally do misjudge your limit.

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Wrong, more reps/sets of lighter weight do not "cut".
i know, bad habit. they don't "cut", more cardio does, but muscular endurance and cutting go hand in hand in my mind.

:)

Romeo1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lust said:
i know, bad habit. they don't "cut", more cardio does, but muscular endurance and cutting go hand in hand in my mind.

:)[/QUOTE
Heres another one ? Im looking to get cut up not bulking,though i lift heavy,whats the best way to get chiseled with strenght? Lust says more cardio,like what type of cardio is very good at getting the best results?Need some clarification.

By way ThANKS!

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heres another one ? Im looking to get cut up not bulking,though i lift heavy,whats the best way to get chiseled with strenght? Lust says more cardio,like what type of cardio is very good at getting the best results?Need some clarification.
Look up High Intensity Interval Training. That should answer your questions.

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dbot said:
You're playing a very dangerous game. I used to do the same thing (anticipate my last rep, roll the bar off my chest if I fail) until one time my arm collapsed under the bar without warning, and the bar came down on my face. Luckily I managed to slip my head out from underneath it. Had the bar landed any lower I wouldn't have been able to get my head out from under it, and I'd be dead.

If you work out at home, get a power rack or something that will keep you from dieing when you finally do misjudge your limit.
That does not sound like fun. Thanks for the heads up.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What kind of stupid question is this? What do you think the benefit of a spotter is?? WTF people get dumber by the minute.