Being Raised in a Traditional Family

jlazz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, my sister just gave me a whole lecture on how its pointless to date girls at my age (17) and that my parents wouldn't approve anyhow because they were raised differently (had an arrange marriage and never dated) and that I should respect how I'm being brought up. She says I should just wait until I get to college before I even think about dating and to never let my parents know because its just wrong. What are your guys perspective on this? I like this one girl, but I guess I can't date her unless its secretly because my parents would just not approve according to her. This is pissing me off.

Jerky Boi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah, man that's pretty tough. I didn't grow up in that kind of family but believe me, you're not going to want to go around secretly dating girls. You both aren't going to enjoy the late nights sneaking out of each other's windows and the once a week get to gethers. Your parents would probably find out anyways. Tell them how you feel and tell them you know you're old enough to at least date a girl. If anything, you're 17, when you turn 18 it probably won't even matter. (If you move out that is).

Reaction score
Whoa, what kind of family were you brought up in? Anyways, get your parents to try and convince you of why you shouldn't date, listen to their reasons in ernst, but if they won't listen to you just play around with girls to get experience, you don't necessarily have to date them, just tease them and get them interested in you. But, yeah, you don't want to lie to your parents so don't just sneak out, wait until you're in College, then you can have all the fun you want. ;)

Jerky Boi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Exactly :D College should be tons of fun for you. Until then, improve your social skills and hopefully get your parents to at least let you date. If they're just worried about you getting into something serious with a girl, just tell them that's not what you're looking for right now. You just kinda want to get out and have some fun. They should understand. Again, it's all about where they stand on the issue though. You should know your parents a lot better than we do.

jlazz

Don Juan
Reaction score
I could've been with so many girls cause I have the looks and can get girls falling for me...but I was always held down by the fact that my parents r traditional and I was afraid to talk to them about it. I think I'm going to bring it up w/ my dad if he's okay with me dating and if he's not then I'll respect that but my dad is really chill so I think he'll say sure.

Reaction score
just tell them that's not what you're looking for right now. You just kinda want to get out and have some fun.

Whoa bad idea, your parents sound really really religious being in an arranged marriage and all. If anything don't tell them that you're just looking to "have some fun".

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell your parents they are blindly carrying out these principles and are living in the past. The only reason they are doing it is "traditional". Thats all BS. Explain to them why you want to be able to date and have some freedom, the benefits of you doing that, and the problems with them treating you like you're 11.

dannowillbookem

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
YOU'VE GOT TO FIGHT. FOR YOUR RIGHT. TO PARTTTTYYYY.

haha. take a page from the beastie boys. you gotta break free.

aftershock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
College will be fun...BUT YOU NEED THE GAME FIRST! Otherwise you'll crash and burn and miss out on the naive virgins in the first week.

Date girls anyway is my advice. Sneaking out is fun. Tell them that you are a man, and a man has needs. Or just say you are playing baseball or something with your mates.

(Ah...how I love living with my dad, who thinks hes a teenager and refuses to go out with women who aren't at least ten years younger than him)